Conservatives giving up on Keystone XL

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
Baird: Even a 'no' on Keystone XL is better than silence

Even a “no” would be better than no decision on the long-delayed Keystone XL pipeline, Foreign Minister John Baird told a Washington business audience Thursday.

“The time for a decision on Keystone is now, even if it’s not the right one,” Mr. Baird said. “We can’t continue in this state of limbo,” he told the U.S. Chamber of Commerce.

It was the first time a senior Canadian politician has told a U.S. audience that even a decision blocking Keystone XL would be better than further delay.

President Barack Obama has repeatedly delayed a decision on the controversial project, a tactic Prime Minister Stephen Harper has referred to as punting.

With mid-term elections looming, some advocates of the controversial pipeline fear the White House will delay again, until after November.

Mr. Baird said the greater risks associated with shipping oil by rail, the greater damage to the environment if Keystone XL isn’t built and a greater U.S. reliance on foreign oil from unreliable suppliers like Venezuela all underpinned the need for approval of the pipeline from Alberta to the Gulf Coast.

“Compared to sending by pipelines, sending by rail causes higher greenhouse-gas emissions and raises the per-mile incident rate,” he said, but made no direct mention of the disastrous rail accidents involving oil, including one at Lac-Mégantic, Que.

On Wednesday, Mr. Baird met with senior White House officials and key U.S. lawmakers.

After a morning session at the White House with Susan Rice, Mr. Obama’s national security adviser, Mr. Baird spent much of the day pitching for the approval of Keystone XL, saying it was “decision time.”

Still, even with the 20th anniversary of NAFTA, the North American Free Trade Agreement that has largely redefined relations between the three nations, contentious bilateral issues – Keystone XL for Canada and immigration for Mexico – continue to bedevil relations with the United States.

He had talks with North Dakota’s Senator Heidi Heitkamp, a Democrat and strident backer of Keystone XL, which would move North Dakota’s burgeoning light oil production as well as Alberta’s heavy oil sands crude. Mr. Baird also met with Louisiana’s Senator Mary Landrieu, another Democrat, who is the likely next chair of the powerful Senate Energy Committee, and Alaska’s Republican Senator Lisa Murkowski, who is pressing for an end to the current ban on U.S. crude oil exports.

Even a ‘no’ on Keystone pipeline is better than silence: Baird - The Globe and Mail

Spade

Ace Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Aether Island
Government has a critical role in ensuring environmental standards and the pace of development.

Last edited:

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Obama want more bbls of US oil in the line. Why not let Canada take any mythical eco concerns and get Bakkem oil to port for almost free? F-ck you Obama. Tell the truth about what you want.

Zipperfish

House Member
Apr 12, 2013
Vancouver
The Keystone defcision will be based on domestic politics, as always. There's not much Canada can do either way, although the Cnservatveo government's race to the bottom on the environment proably isn't helping the case for Keystone.

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister
The Keystone defcision will be based on domestic politics, as always. There's not much Canada can do either way, although the Cnservatveo government's race to the bottom on the environment proably isn't helping the case for Keystone.

interesting when one considers that it was successive Liberal gvts that promoted the development of the oilsands.

Might want to give credit where credit is due

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
interesting when one considers that it was successive Liberal gvts that promoted the development of the oilsands.

Pony boy plans on ramping it.to bring the 6 Million barrel a day goal sooner than 2025. I guess the downward spiral will be quicker too.

Apparently green beans prefer we import more than 723,000 barrels per day that we already do from, dictators, the second largest watershed on the planet, communist and a variety of other warring savages buying weapons.

If you live in eastern Canada you have blood in your tank.

Human lives or trees?

Some Canadian oil facts:
Canadian Oil & Gas Statistics (2012)

• 1.31 million barrels per day of conventional oil production
  • 1.7 million barrels per day of oil sands production
  • 13.7 billion cubic feet per day of natural gas production
  • $62 billion in capital spending
  • $18 billion in taxes and royalties paid to governments
  • Oil and gas industry currently supports 550,000 jobs across Canada
  • Oil sands are forecasted to create 905,000 new jobs by 2035 (Canadian Energy Research Institute - May 2011)
  • Oil and gas industry current comprises about 20% of the Toronto Stock Exchange
Oil Sands CO2 Statistics (2009)

• Oil sands industry contributes about 7.8% of Canada’s total GHG emissions
  • Oil sands industry accounts for just over 0.16% of global GHG emissions
  • Oil sands GHG emissions equal about 3.7% of U.S. power generation emissions
  • Today oil sands fuel is around 5-15% more GHG intensive that the average crude oil consumed in the United States. 3
  • On a well-to-wheel (lifecycle) basis 4 , the carbon intensity of oil sands-based fuels falls within the range of carbon intensities for other conventional crude-based fuels used in the United States. 3
  • Oil sands GHG emissions have declined 26 per cent per barrel from 1990 to 2011
  • Current Government of Alberta regulations require GHG emission reductions of 12% (from a year 2000 baseline average)

Last edited:

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
Obama want more bbls of US oil in the line. Why not let Canada take any mythical eco concerns and get Bakkem oil to port for almost free? F-ck you Obama. Tell the truth about what you want.
You first. Tell the truth about "North American energy independence" and 'fess up that the Keystone XL, if built, will carry crude to Texas for refining and shipping out to other countries.

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
Hey guys, it's a no brainer remember?

I guess Neil was right...

Support for Keystone XL pipeline on the decline

Canadians who would support or somewhat support the pipeline's approval dropped to 52 per cent by the end of the year from 68 per cent in April. When it came to opponents of the pipeline, Nanos Research found the number of Canadians who oppose the pipeline jumped 11 points, from to 24 per cent from 13.

"It has to be troublesome for proponents of the pipeline and also the prime minister, who's put his shoulder to the wheel to move this forward," said Nik Nanos, president and CEO of Nanos Research.

On CBC News Network's Power & Politics, Nanos told host Evan Solomon that the more debate there is over whether or not the pipeline should be approved, the more scrutiny it will face.

"The reality is that over time, it just looks like more of an imperfect pipeline."

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister
You first. Tell the truth about "North American energy independence" and 'fess up that the Keystone XL, if built, will carry crude to Texas for refining and shipping out to other countries.

It's been that way for many years.

Gulf Coast refineries have been importing crude from Canada and South America, upgrading and reselling a finished product onto the international markets for a very long time.

This is one of the reasons that holding up KXL baffles me, some of these refineries exist solely to supply foreign demand and choking-off supply via KXL and/or the oilsands will impact this industry quite heavily

http://www.cbc.ca/m/news/#!/content/1.2498835

Already touched on this... Northern Gateway and Energy East will absorb that supply in addition to getting the oil to foreign markets where Canadian producers will be paid a premium rather than a discount in the US

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC

Gulf Coast refineries have been importing crude from Canada and South America, upgrading and reselling a finished product onto the international markets for a very long time.

This is one of the reasons that holding up KXL baffles me, some of these refineries exist solely to supply foreign demand and choking-off supply via KXL and/or the oilsands will impact this industry quite heavily.
Ya think?

Of course it is, and has long been, that way. The world has an "oil lake" with many inputs and outputs. I'm just challenging the rah-rah oil drinkers to state that simple truth, and quit lying to people that oil produced in North America will necessarily be consumed in North America.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Chemical refining after upgrading. Refined product will stay put in TX for fuel and petrochemicals with upgraded crude put in tankers to head off to the EU.

Upgrading frees up oodles of petro chems to get the chem industry in Houston back in business. Once upgraded the synthetic crude is idea for far cleaner low sulfur fuels than from ME sweet crude.

This is one of the reasons that holding up KXL baffles me, some of these refineries exist solely to supply foreign demand and choking-off supply via KXL and/or the oilsands will impact this industry quite heavily
They are importing Venezuelan Orinoco heavy oil to keep running. T

here is a shiny new upgrader in Regina waiting for product. It was built specially for the Keystone and Keystone XL. Once it's running at capacity the third upgrader gets built. The East West will help for the time being but like it or not these $10Billion investments are going to run a full bore upgrading heavy oil and bitumen.

Ya think?

Of course it is, and has long been, that way. The world has an "oil lake" with many inputs and outputs. I'm just challenging the rah-rah oil drinkers to state that simple truth, and quit lying to people that oil produced in North America will necessarily be consumed in North America.
Nor Am will be import free and a major exporter. This has been openly discussed from day one.

Zipperfish

House Member
Apr 12, 2013
Vancouver

I have no problem at all with the oil sands. I do however insist on adequate government ovewrsight of the public resources involved--specifically the air and the water. My impression is that Alberta does a pretty good job of this--they've had to, given the scrutiny. But the federal Conservative approach is to just greenwash everything. BC is looking to take the same approach--bluesky Kumbayah commercials, while cutting back env programs and oversight. I would have no problem with Northern Gateway either if I thought the BC and federal governments were serious about their responsibilitiy to protect public resources.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
I have no problem at all with the oil sands. I do however insist on adequate government ovewrsight of the public resources involved--specifically the air and the water. My impression is that Alberta does a pretty good job of this--they've had to, given the scrutiny. But the federal Conservative approach is to just greenwash everything. BC is looking to take the same approach--bluesky Kumbayah commercials, while cutting back env programs and oversight. I would have no problem with Northern Gateway either if I thought the BC and federal governments were serious about their responsibilitiy to protect public resources.
You green beans are quite confident a modern pipeline will break like one of the 50 year old ones have that have had issues and no clue that the Douglas Channel everyone is trying to protect has been contaminated with sodium fluoride from the Alcan smelter since before you were born.

What would happen if an LNG tanker had a mishap? LNG tankers and the LNG ports passed enviro with flying colours. Why?

If you lived in one of these alleged pristine valleys where the lines will run through would you prefer a NG pipeline break or bitumen?

Would a bitumen spill be anything like a crude spill? You are aware that bitumen isn't water soluble and poses no threat to sea life or shore lines because floats in chunks?

What makes you believe there is no oversight? Guessing or you have some sort of knowledge nobody else has?