Liberals proving they care more about liberty than Conservatives


mentalfloss
#1
Shiny Pony strikes again!



First pot, now prostitution: Liberal party to debate legalization

First it was pot; now it's prostitution.

Liberals broke new ground at their last national policy convention, becoming the first federal party to advocate legalizing, regulating and taxing marijuana.

And now some Grits want the party to take the same approach to the world's oldest profession.

The British Columbia wing of the federal Liberal party is proposing a resolution for the party's next national convention aimed at ensuring sex trade workers are legally able to run a "safe and successful business," which would be licensed to safeguard employees, employers and clients and taxed just like "any other commercial enterprise."

Proposal originated with BC youth wing
The resolution was initiated last year by Young Liberals in B.C. and was later adopted by the provincial branch of the federal party as one of 10 priority resolutions it would like to see debated at the national convention in Montreal next month.

It's not certain at this point that the resolution will ultimately make it to the floor of the convention for a vote, although it will at least be debated in a policy workshop.

But it would seem an opportune time to gauge the mood of the party on the subject, given that the Supreme Court last month struck down the country's prostitution laws as unconstitutional — a development the drafters of the resolution had not anticipated.

The top court ruled that the prohibition on brothels, living off the avails of prostitution and street soliciting imposes dangerous conditions on prostitutes and thus violates their right to life, liberty and security of the person.

It gave Parliament one year to come up with a new law, thrusting the hot potato firmly into the court of federal politicians.

Prime Minister Stephen Harper's government has signalled its intention to ensure prostitution remains a matter of criminal law, perhaps by adopting the so-called Nordic model of penalizing those who purchase sex, rather than those who sell it.

First pot, now prostitution: Liberal party to debate legalization
 
petros
+1
#2
Quote:

Liberals broke new ground at their last national policy convention, becoming the first federal party to advocate legalizing, regulating and taxing marijuana.

That was already tabled right before Cons won the election and the bill was scrapped.
 
lone wolf
Free Thinker
+1
#3
If Trudeau Jr can change the impression, more power to him. Senior, Chretien and Martin proved Libz are just as adept at taking liberties as Cons .... and be just as sneaky about it.
 
karrie
No Party Affiliation
+3
#4
Quote: Originally Posted by mentalflossView Post

.... and taxed just like "any other commercial enterprise."

Liberty my a$$. They just want their fingers in the pie. Uhm, pies. Uhm.... hmmmm.
 
mentalfloss
#5
Petros, are you saying the statement you've quoted is a lie?

Quote: Originally Posted by karrieView Post

Liberty my a$$. They just want their fingers in the pie. Uhm, pies. Uhm.... hmmmm.

A taxes freedom is better than no freedom.
 
petros
#6
Harper has raised the price of Med Pot to the same as street prices. Does any think the street prices will drop to take the med pot market away from Corporations and taxability?
 
lone wolf
Free Thinker
+1
#7
Quote: Originally Posted by petrosView Post

Harper has raised the price of Med Pot to the same as street prices. Does any think the street prices will drop to take the med pot market away from Corporations and taxability?

I may have heard the news wrong ... but it was something about med weed MUST be purchased from a commercial grower. That's about the same predatory attitude as gangs and dope dealers.
 
karrie
No Party Affiliation
+3
#8
Quote: Originally Posted by lone wolfView Post

I may have heard the news wrong ... but it was something about med weed MUST be purchased from a commercial grower. That's about the same predatory attitude as gangs and dope dealers.


It's why I wouldn't register for medical. You open your door to 'spot checking', and end up on a list of doors to knock on if they ever decide to scrap the program and turn you from patient into criminal. I face less government scrutiny and headache if I get caught carrying for personal use.

Oh, and, it's cheaper for me than going governmental.
 
lone wolf
Free Thinker
+1
#9
Quote: Originally Posted by karrieView Post

It's why I wouldn't register for medical. You open your door to 'spot checking', and end up on a list of doors to knock on if they ever decide to scrap the program and turn you from patient into criminal. I face less government scrutiny and headache if I get caught carrying for personal use.

Oh, and, it's cheaper for me than going governmental.

You and I both.... Never trust an open net
 
petros
#10
Quote: Originally Posted by lone wolfView Post

I may have heard the news wrong ... but it was something about med weed MUST be purchased from a commercial grower. That's about the same predatory attitude as gangs and dope dealers.

Yes. Starting April 1st. My Credit Union has one listed in their mutual fund offerings for this year..

Quote: Originally Posted by karrieView Post

It's why I wouldn't register for medical. You open your door to 'spot checking', and end up on a list of doors to knock on if they ever decide to scrap the program and turn you from patient into criminal. I face less government scrutiny and headache if I get caught carrying for personal use.

Oh, and, it's cheaper for me than going governmental.

April 1st no more patients growing their own for $1 a gram. Now they have to buy for $7 from Corporations.

There never was any "spot checking". Cops were told to stay away or fear getting the Charter rammed up their asses.
Last edited by petros; Jan 15th, 2014 at 12:59 PM..
 
Tonington
#11
It's progressive, but I don't know how many people it's going to appeal to. Voters that left the Liberals probably don't care about this as much as those who stayed with the party. It's not much of a wedge.
 
petros
#12
Quote: Originally Posted by ToningtonView Post

It's progressive, but I don't know how many people it's going to appeal to. Voters that left the Liberals probably don't care about this as much as those who stayed with the party. It's not much of a wedge.

Really? When the Pot Party backed Layton his numbers never jumped?
 
damngrumpy
No Party Affiliation
#13
First of all its not just about pot prices I understand. Don't know much about it but
what I have heard is, the strength of the product is not as good at least according
to some in BC. Is that true? If it is it won't matter people will still buy what they want
unless quality is there. Trudeau is on the right track on this one.
Prostitution, again its like gambling and even pot or cigarettes they are social issues
and we should not be making criminals out of social issues. Prostitution is never
going to be stomped out that is the first reality. The problem I have is the current
situation. When it comes to young girls on drugs engaging in the act to pay for a habit.
The problem is it is illegal and they don't feel confident in coming forward for help.
If we address this issue and take the legal issues out of it, those who want assistance
have a better of getting it.
These are issues that need to be addressed and if it's Trudeau addressing them that
is good and he will gain support. I don't care for the guy personally but I like him a lot
more that the guy we have now. For that matter I like Mulcaire better than the guy we
have right now as well.
 
IdRatherBeSkiing
#14
Quote: Originally Posted by mentalflossView Post

The British Columbia wing of the federal Liberal party is proposing a resolution for the party's next national convention aimed at ensuring sex trade workers are legally able to run a "safe and successful business," which would be licensed to safeguard employees, employers and clients and taxed just like "any other commercial enterprise."

I stopped reading right there. Damn left coasters.

It is not a bad idea. Bue I don't see the Lieberals carring much more than making it a talking point and maybe another page in another big red book of lies.
 
petros
#15
Quote: Originally Posted by damngrumpyView Post

First of all its not just about pot prices I understand. Don't know much about it but
what I have heard is, the strength of the product is not as good at least according
to some in BC. Is that true?

Nope. Not true and besides. There is better weed on the prairie than BC. It just wasn't blown out of perspective by media.

BC weed has mold and powdery mildew problems.
 
mentalfloss
+1
#16
Quote: Originally Posted by IdRatherBeSkiingView Post

I stopped reading right there. Damn left coasters.

It is not a bad idea. Bue I don't see the Lieberals carring much more than making it a talking point and maybe another page in another big red book of lies.

What's the lie here?

Quote: Originally Posted by ToningtonView Post

It's progressive, but I don't know how many people it's going to appeal to. Voters that left the Liberals probably don't care about this as much as those who stayed with the party. It's not much of a wedge.

I hear ya, but if Trudeau can tap those youngins, then the long john wearers don't matter.

I suggest making 'Rockin' in the free world' as the campaign anthem.
 
BornRuff
#17
Quote: Originally Posted by mentalflossView Post

Shiny Pony strikes again!



First pot, now prostitution: Liberal party to debate legalization

First it was pot; now it's prostitution.

Liberals broke new ground at their last national policy convention, becoming the first federal party to advocate legalizing, regulating and taxing marijuana.

And now some Grits want the party to take the same approach to the world's oldest profession.

The British Columbia wing of the federal Liberal party is proposing a resolution for the party's next national convention aimed at ensuring sex trade workers are legally able to run a "safe and successful business," which would be licensed to safeguard employees, employers and clients and taxed just like "any other commercial enterprise."

Proposal originated with BC youth wing
The resolution was initiated last year by Young Liberals in B.C. and was later adopted by the provincial branch of the federal party as one of 10 priority resolutions it would like to see debated at the national convention in Montreal next month.

It's not certain at this point that the resolution will ultimately make it to the floor of the convention for a vote, although it will at least be debated in a policy workshop.

But it would seem an opportune time to gauge the mood of the party on the subject, given that the Supreme Court last month struck down the country's prostitution laws as unconstitutional — a development the drafters of the resolution had not anticipated.

The top court ruled that the prohibition on brothels, living off the avails of prostitution and street soliciting imposes dangerous conditions on prostitutes and thus violates their right to life, liberty and security of the person.

It gave Parliament one year to come up with a new law, thrusting the hot potato firmly into the court of federal politicians.

Prime Minister Stephen Harper's government has signalled its intention to ensure prostitution remains a matter of criminal law, perhaps by adopting the so-called Nordic model of penalizing those who purchase sex, rather than those who sell it.

First pot, now prostitution: Liberal party to debate legalization

What if my version of liberty is freedom from stoned hookers?
 
Tonington
#18
Quote: Originally Posted by petrosView Post

Really? When the Pot Party backed Layton his numbers never jumped?

There were a lot of factors during the orange crush. I don't recall a lot of discussion about pot politics. Unpopular Bloc Quebecois in Quebec probably being the largest factor. All three parties during that campaign blamed the others of working with the Bloc at one point or another, and Quebecers responded. The bloc lost 90% of their seats.

It might get them some votes back from the NDP. I doubt the NDP will be against this. Ultimately it's the Conservatives who need to lose seats for any other party to take the reins. A coalition government is pretty well a curse word in Canadian politics now.
 
taxslave
No Party Affiliation
#19
Quote: Originally Posted by karrieView Post

It's why I wouldn't register for medical. You open your door to 'spot checking', and end up on a list of doors to knock on if they ever decide to scrap the program and turn you from patient into criminal. I face less government scrutiny and headache if I get caught carrying for personal use.

Oh, and, it's cheaper for me than going governmental.

Much like registering long gund.
 
Cliffy
Free Thinker
+2
#20
Back in the seventies when gun registration started to raise its ugly head, many people I knew buried their guns in water proof containers. Slowly over the years they raised the anti. The are setting us up for the big one. Government is doing the same with pot. It is all about control.
 
taxslave
No Party Affiliation
+1
#21
Like pot, prostitution should be legal. After all there is really not much difference between a politician and a prostitute.
 
mentalfloss
+1
#22
Quote: Originally Posted by BornRuffView Post

What if my version of liberty is stoned hookers?

 
mentalfloss
#23
Quote: Originally Posted by taxslaveView Post

Like pot, prostitution should be legal. After all there is really not much difference between a politician and a prostitute.

Are you saying we should legalize politicians?
 
BornRuff
#24
Quote: Originally Posted by mentalflossView Post

Are you saying we should legalize politicians?

No, politicians should be illegal.
 
Retired_Can_Soldier
+1
#25
Just one question. How the hell are any of us going to be able to afford pot or hookers after Trudeau destroys the economy?
 
Colpy
Conservative
+4
#26  Top Rated Post
As a mildly libertarian conservative, I laugh in the faces of those that believe the Liberals care anything about liberty. Read the Firearms Act, remember the HRCs, think about "hate" laws and section 13....... the very idea that Liberals are on the side of freedom is ludicrous.

I think the "Nordic" model of charging customers and not hookers is insane, like charging heroin addicts but not the dealers. Nor will it address the problem the SCOC was trying to deal with, which was the dangers of street prostitution.............the plan is idiotic.

Give them their brothels.

Under the Liberals you are allowed to get stoned and get laid, but not to say what you think or practice self defense. They have their priorities ****ed up.
 
mentalfloss
#27
I'm pretty sure it was sex, drugs and rock n roll not sex, drugs and guns.
 
Spade
Free Thinker
+2 / -1
#28
Don't bother us Conservatives with silly questions right now. We are too busy trying to fill the new prisons we built.

Besides, isn't liberty one-third of that dammed French trilogy along with equality and brotherhood. Sounds commie to me.

Let's not confuse liberty with freedom.
 
Walter
+2 / -1
#29
NEP gave us lots of liberty as did Adscam and HRDC scandal and the gas plant scandal in ON and E-health scandal in ON and Orange scandal in ON. When was the last Lib gubmint that really gave me more liberty and reduced my taxes?
 
Dixie Cup
Libertarian
+2
#30
The problem with government being involved in medicinal pot is that government is NEVER able to produce and price things within reason. Things will invariably cost more to produce and not be of high quality.

The private sector is much more able to do that. Unfortunately, this particular problem involves government restrictions/guidelines and scrutiny so that in and of itself will hinder the private sector anyway. So unless the growing of pot is completely made legal across the board, its a lose lose situation for those who need pot for medicinal purposes which doesn't surprise me in the least. Since when does anything the government does become cheaper for the consumer? Hardly ever.

Suffice to say that I work for a business that is regulated by government. Not only do the bureacrats have no idea of how the private sector works, many times they arrive at decisions that go against the legislation in place and we (i.e. the business) suffer the consequences which usually means money out of our pocket. It's actually quite amazing. When challenged on their decision, they do a run-around as to why this particular decision is an exception even when the legislated rules are quite clear. There's no changing their minds so I suspect it's a power trip of sorts, just to remind us of whose in charge.

JMHO
 

Similar Threads

15
Conservatives and Liberals only four points apart
by Researcher87 | Oct 17th, 2006
3
Conservatives vs Liberals
by I think not | Jan 21st, 2006
7
no new posts