Liberals proving they care more about liberty than Conservatives

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
Shiny Pony strikes again!

First pot, now prostitution: Liberal party to debate legalization

First it was pot; now it's prostitution.

Liberals broke new ground at their last national policy convention, becoming the first federal party to advocate legalizing, regulating and taxing marijuana.

And now some Grits want the party to take the same approach to the world's oldest profession.

The British Columbia wing of the federal Liberal party is proposing a resolution for the party's next national convention aimed at ensuring sex trade workers are legally able to run a "safe and successful business," which would be licensed to safeguard employees, employers and clients and taxed just like "any other commercial enterprise."

Proposal originated with BC youth wing
The resolution was initiated last year by Young Liberals in B.C. and was later adopted by the provincial branch of the federal party as one of 10 priority resolutions it would like to see debated at the national convention in Montreal next month.

It's not certain at this point that the resolution will ultimately make it to the floor of the convention for a vote, although it will at least be debated in a policy workshop.

But it would seem an opportune time to gauge the mood of the party on the subject, given that the Supreme Court last month struck down the country's prostitution laws as unconstitutional — a development the drafters of the resolution had not anticipated.

The top court ruled that the prohibition on brothels, living off the avails of prostitution and street soliciting imposes dangerous conditions on prostitutes and thus violates their right to life, liberty and security of the person.

It gave Parliament one year to come up with a new law, thrusting the hot potato firmly into the court of federal politicians.

Prime Minister Stephen Harper's government has signalled its intention to ensure prostitution remains a matter of criminal law, perhaps by adopting the so-called Nordic model of penalizing those who purchase sex, rather than those who sell it.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Liberals broke new ground at their last national policy convention, becoming the first federal party to advocate legalizing, regulating and taxing marijuana.
That was already tabled right before Cons won the election and the bill was scrapped.

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
If Trudeau Jr can change the impression, more power to him. Senior, Chretien and Martin proved Libz are just as adept at taking liberties as Cons .... and be just as sneaky about it.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Harper has raised the price of Med Pot to the same as street prices. Does any think the street prices will drop to take the med pot market away from Corporations and taxability?

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
Harper has raised the price of Med Pot to the same as street prices. Does any think the street prices will drop to take the med pot market away from Corporations and taxability?
I may have heard the news wrong ... but it was something about med weed MUST be purchased from a commercial grower. That's about the same predatory attitude as gangs and dope dealers.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
I may have heard the news wrong ... but it was something about med weed MUST be purchased from a commercial grower. That's about the same predatory attitude as gangs and dope dealers.

It's why I wouldn't register for medical. You open your door to 'spot checking', and end up on a list of doors to knock on if they ever decide to scrap the program and turn you from patient into criminal. I face less government scrutiny and headache if I get caught carrying for personal use.

Oh, and, it's cheaper for me than going governmental.

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
It's why I wouldn't register for medical. You open your door to 'spot checking', and end up on a list of doors to knock on if they ever decide to scrap the program and turn you from patient into criminal. I face less government scrutiny and headache if I get caught carrying for personal use.

You and I both.... Never trust an open net

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Yes. Starting April 1st. My Credit Union has one listed in their mutual fund offerings for this year..

April 1st no more patients growing their own for $1 a gram. Now they have to buy for $7 from Corporations.

There never was any "spot checking". Cops were told to stay away or fear getting the Charter rammed up their asses.

Last edited:

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
It's progressive, but I don't know how many people it's going to appeal to. Voters that left the Liberals probably don't care about this as much as those who stayed with the party. It's not much of a wedge.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
It's progressive, but I don't know how many people it's going to appeal to. Voters that left the Liberals probably don't care about this as much as those who stayed with the party. It's not much of a wedge.
Really? When the Pot Party backed Layton his numbers never jumped?

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
First of all its not just about pot prices I understand. Don't know much about it but
what I have heard is, the strength of the product is not as good at least according
to some in BC. Is that true? If it is it won't matter people will still buy what they want
unless quality is there. Trudeau is on the right track on this one.
Prostitution, again its like gambling and even pot or cigarettes they are social issues
and we should not be making criminals out of social issues. Prostitution is never
going to be stomped out that is the first reality. The problem I have is the current
situation. When it comes to young girls on drugs engaging in the act to pay for a habit.
The problem is it is illegal and they don't feel confident in coming forward for help.
If we address this issue and take the legal issues out of it, those who want assistance
have a better of getting it.
These are issues that need to be addressed and if it's Trudeau addressing them that
is good and he will gain support. I don't care for the guy personally but I like him a lot
more that the guy we have now. For that matter I like Mulcaire better than the guy we
have right now as well.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
The British Columbia wing of the federal Liberal party is proposing a resolution for the party's next national convention aimed at ensuring sex trade workers are legally able to run a "safe and successful business," which would be licensed to safeguard employees, employers and clients and taxed just like "any other commercial enterprise."

I stopped reading right there. Damn left coasters.

It is not a bad idea. Bue I don't see the Lieberals carring much more than making it a talking point and maybe another page in another big red book of lies.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
First of all its not just about pot prices I understand. Don't know much about it but
what I have heard is, the strength of the product is not as good at least according
to some in BC. Is that true?
Nope. Not true and besides. There is better weed on the prairie than BC. It just wasn't blown out of perspective by media.

BC weed has mold and powdery mildew problems.

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
I stopped reading right there. Damn left coasters.

It is not a bad idea. Bue I don't see the Lieberals carring much more than making it a talking point and maybe another page in another big red book of lies.

What's the lie here?

I hear ya, but if Trudeau can tap those youngins, then the long john wearers don't matter.

I suggest making 'Rockin' in the free world' as the campaign anthem.

BornRuff

Time Out
Nov 17, 2013
Shiny Pony strikes again!

First it was pot; now it's prostitution.

And now some Grits want the party to take the same approach to the world's oldest profession.

Proposal originated with BC youth wing
The resolution was initiated last year by Young Liberals in B.C. and was later adopted by the provincial branch of the federal party as one of 10 priority resolutions it would like to see debated at the national convention in Montreal next month.

It's not certain at this point that the resolution will ultimately make it to the floor of the convention for a vote, although it will at least be debated in a policy workshop.

But it would seem an opportune time to gauge the mood of the party on the subject, given that the Supreme Court last month struck down the country's prostitution laws as unconstitutional — a development the drafters of the resolution had not anticipated.

The top court ruled that the prohibition on brothels, living off the avails of prostitution and street soliciting imposes dangerous conditions on prostitutes and thus violates their right to life, liberty and security of the person.

It gave Parliament one year to come up with a new law, thrusting the hot potato firmly into the court of federal politicians.

Prime Minister Stephen Harper's government has signalled its intention to ensure prostitution remains a matter of criminal law, perhaps by adopting the so-called Nordic model of penalizing those who purchase sex, rather than those who sell it.

What if my version of liberty is freedom from stoned hookers?

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
Really? When the Pot Party backed Layton his numbers never jumped?

There were a lot of factors during the orange crush. I don't recall a lot of discussion about pot politics. Unpopular Bloc Quebecois in Quebec probably being the largest factor. All three parties during that campaign blamed the others of working with the Bloc at one point or another, and Quebecers responded. The bloc lost 90% of their seats.

It might get them some votes back from the NDP. I doubt the NDP will be against this. Ultimately it's the Conservatives who need to lose seats for any other party to take the reins. A coalition government is pretty well a curse word in Canadian politics now.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island

Much like registering long gund.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
Back in the seventies when gun registration started to raise its ugly head, many people I knew buried their guns in water proof containers. Slowly over the years they raised the anti. The are setting us up for the big one. Government is doing the same with pot. It is all about control.