Northern Gateway not a sure thing, Harper says

mentalfloss
Sounds exactly like Obama on Keystone, dunnit?

Must be another one of those no brainer decisions.

Northern Gateway not a sure thing, Harper says

Prime Minister Stephen Harper says his government’s drive to diversify Canada’s energy markets doesn’t make cabinet approval of the controversial Northern Gateway pipeline project a foregone conclusion.

During a 30-minute Q&A session hosted by the Vancouver Board of Trade, Mr. Harper said on Monday that his cabinet will balance economic and environmental interests as it makes a final decision on whether to approve the $6-billion project to link the Alberta oil sands with Kitimat, B.C. Oil would then be shipped to foreign markets by tanker.

“We will not approve projects unless they are not only in our economic interests, but also meet the highest standards of environmental protection.” Mr. Harper told Iain Black, the president of the Vancouver Board of Trade, who was the lone questioner during the session before a sold-out audience of 530 people in a downtown hotel.

Northern Gateway not a sure thing, Harper says - The Globe and Mail

Walter
+2
What do you want him to say?

mentalfloss
The more important question is what do YOU want him to say Walter?

captain morgan
Bloc Québécois
I suppose that we can up the ante on rail transport of oil until there are enough derailments, explosions and wholesale contamination until the eco crowd is ready to either stop using any kind of fossil fuels or consider other transportation options

mentalfloss
Or we can just continue with what we have and get moving on trying to harness alternate forms of energy.

captain morgan
Bloc Québécois
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by mentalflossView Post

Or we can just continue with what we have and get moving on trying to harness alternate forms of energy.

I'm guessing that alternate energy is a number of years away before it is commercially viable. From that point, there will probably be issues related to infrastructure needs which will add more years into the equation.

What do we do until then?

Besides, the commodity that is being exported is bringing a lot of cash into the country and tax pools that are funding society and research... I see this as potentially shooting the goose that lays the golden egg

JLM
No Party Affiliation
+4
#7  Top Rated Post

The more important question is what do YOU want him to say Walter?

A smart politician will take all the time afforded him for two reasons, it takes the wind out of the sails of the opposition and it gives the impression he's not solely driving his own agenda. That smart old Mr. Harper! -

mentalfloss
That smart old Harper is losing support to my little shiny pony.

captain morgan
Bloc Québécois

Based on what?... Is he planning on having more Shiny Pony 'unplugged' wine parties?

What a disaster that was

JLM
No Party Affiliation

"Little shiny pony" for sure, I kind of like Clydesdales and Percherons! -

mentalfloss
Quote: Originally Posted by captain morganView Post

Based on what?

The last three months of support diagnostics?

captain morgan
Bloc Québécois

The last three months of support diagnostics?

The polls (especially advance) have been way off in the last number of elections. Besides, you can shop for them just like shopping for a bag of apples.

Shiny Pony is still wiping the egg off his face from the disastrous wine evening and publicly expressing his admiration for a brutal Chinese gvt

mentalfloss
I don't agree with his statement either - but it has hardly caused a dent in support.

The Liberals are now receiving more funding (federally) than the Cons are.

petros
+2
“We will not approve projects unless they are not only in our economic interests, but also meet the highest standards of environmental protection.”

The shiny pony plans to giddy up down the same path to the pacific and so does Crispy Clark. This is just the first of many pipelines. As soon as the oil line is started BC will approve natural gas pipelines (note plural) from the BC prairies (yes BC has prairie. Wheat and all). Then comes the potash pipeline once there is NG to cook the water off at the gateway. What's the Gateway? It's something dreamed up when I was kid by Maurice Strong and the Shiny Pony's dad. If any of you think this pipeline isn't going to happen plan you disappointment party for this weekend and get it over with.

Walter
+1

The Liberals are now receiving more funding (federally) than the Cons are.

Got a link? Cons out-raised Libs in Q3 of 2013 and I haven't seen Q4 numbers. Don't you get tired of being wrong.

www.hilltimes.com/news/news/2...n-around/37036 (external - login to view)

mentalfloss
+1
My mistake, it was the same level of funding this month.

Liberals, Tories and NDP whip up year-end donations - National | Globalnews.ca (external - login to view)

Still, that's an impressive achievement and a clear shift in power.

taxslave
No Party Affiliation
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by captain morganView Post

Based on what?... Is he planning on having more Shiny Pony 'unplugged' wine parties?

What a disaster that was

According to the article in this weeks Macleans the liberal party is auctioning off dates with just-in.

Goober
Free Thinker
+1

Support for Trudeau- 29 % as PM- Harper- 27 % - Trudeau with that Hair should have at least 10 to 15 points on Harper. But- Nope - Nada - 2 points. A rounding error.

Average support for the Libs 35 % or so- translation 2 out of 3 Canadians find Trudeau to be unpalatable.

http://fullcomment.nationalpost.com/...is-the-answer/
Last edited by Goober; Jan 13th, 2014 at 05:58 PM..

JLM
No Party Affiliation
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by GooberView Post

Support for Trudeau- 29 % as PM- Harper- 27 % - Trudeau with that Hair should have at least 10 to 15 points on Harper. But- Nope - Nada - 2 points. A rounding error.

Average support for the Libs 35 % or so- translation 2 out of 3 Canadians find Trudeau to be unpalatable.

Kelly McParland: Two-thirds of Canadians don’t think Justin Trudeau is the answer | National Post

I think the best thing about Trudeau may be that he looks like his mother.- Before a guy gets to be P.M. I think he should have a job setting chokers for a year and another year pulling boards off a green chain. That raises respect both by him and for him! -

Goober
Free Thinker
Quote: Originally Posted by JLMView Post

I think the best thing about Trudeau may be that he looks like his mother.- Before a guy gets to be P.M. I think he should have a job setting chokers for a year and another year pulling boards off a green chain. That raises respect both by him and for him! -

I would pick Harper over Trudeau.
Though I do like Mulcair- problem with some policies that I disagree with.

Zipperfish
No Party Affiliation

Yeah, I'm torn between the NDP and the LIberals right now. It's the policies of teh NDP that bother me (once they're in the policy turns out to be the same--stay in power). It's the inexperience of their candidates.

Still we have a decent NDP guy in our riding. The Libs and teh Cons just parachute guys in. Slimeball guys--all the right moves, but just indescribably shallow.

JLM
No Party Affiliation
+2

Well yeah, I think that is pretty much a no brainer. Mulcair would be very good.............................until someone else's money ran out. -

taxslave
No Party Affiliation
+1
Mulcair would be good for Quebec only. They are used to living off the work of others.

Goober
Free Thinker
Quote: Originally Posted by ZipperfishView Post

Yeah, I'm torn between the NDP and the LIberals right now. It's the policies of teh NDP that bother me (once they're in the policy turns out to be the same--stay in power). It's the inexperience of their candidates.

Still we have a decent NDP guy in our riding. The Libs and teh Cons just parachute guys in. Slimeball guys--all the right moves, but just indescribably shallow.

NDP polices- well we know what they are
Has Trudeau a policy?
Oh yes, we wait for it.

JLM
No Party Affiliation
Quote: Originally Posted by taxslaveView Post

Mulcair would be good for Quebec only. They are used to living off the work of others.

Not to mention they may have a bit of an arrogant way about them. (When I was in Montreal for Expo 67 and tried out my high school French, the bastards laughed at me!)

MHz
I'm pretty sure somebody can figure out how to make a paddle-wheeler mod-l due ice roads in the winter (limit about 20 containers) and open water as a rafted convoy. Failing that, ice roads at a certain depth fail to be affected by the weight/speed of the loads. Perhaps after a few decades it will be polished like a pool-ball and you just go wherever. Apparently the time before there was nothing called 'fire' and it was nothing to write home about as there are no such letters to be found anywhere.

Not to mention they may have a bit of an arrogant way about them. (When I was in Montreal for Expo 67 and tried out my high school French, the bastards laughed at me!)

How about a mono-rail at 400kph that goes north of Winnerpeg and north of Ft. Mac to 'exit NA via Alaska/Yukon and continue onto China and other parts further west than the far east ?????? you know like Mongolia

JLM
No Party Affiliation
Quote: Originally Posted by MHzView Post

How about a mono-rail at 400kph that goes north of Winnerpeg and north of Ft. Mac to 'exit NA via Alaska/Yukon and continue onto China and other parts further west than the far east ?????? you know like Mongolia

Speaking solely for myself you've confused me! You want to haul oil by mono rail through the Yukon and Alaska and across the Bering Strait to Mongolia? Would Mongolians buy enough of our oil to make it worth while?

MHz

Speaking solely for myself you've confused me! You want to haul oil by mono rail through the Yukon and Alaska and across the Bering Strait to Mongolia? Would Mongolians buy enough of our oil to make it worth while?

Belts for the granulated and frozen tarsands. Mongolis can be scupltured to hold the deposits and once thawed out (into ice cubes for the drinks at poolside) it is the grease for the bearings that is needed by parts that move. That will be the beginning of civilization if you like things that have parts that move. The Mono part is for the maintenance crews and tourists coming/going to Europe and the Far East.

You don't need any real exits in NA for that system as our commerce will be NS seasonal based. Work doubly hard in the summer and hunker down when it's (literally) freezing out and hope you have enough supplies stocked up.

damngrumpy
No Party Affiliation
If the statement is true I couldn't be happier. I don't want it to go through
the company that is proposing it has a lousy record for pipelines and I am
not happy about exporting energy to Asia anyway.

Zipperfish
No Party Affiliation

NDP polices- well we know what they are
Has Trudeau a policy?
Oh yes, we wait for it.

And we know Harper's policies suck. Hold your nose and vote as usual.