Neil Young blasts Harper government for allowing development of Alberta oilsands

mentalfloss
+2
Poor neocons. They never get cool rock stars supporting their cause. I wonder why that is...

Neil Young Blasts Harper Government for allowing development of oilsands.

Neil Young is accusing the Canadian government of “trading integrity for money” when it comes to Alberta’s oilsands.
Speaking at a news conference Sunday, the rock legend suggested the Canadian government is “killing” First Nations people by pushing forward with rapid development of the oilsands.

“The blood of these people will be on modern Canada’s hands,” he said.

Young was speaking in Toronto ahead of the first of four benefit concerts aimed at raising money and awareness for the Athabasca Chipewyan First Nation’s legal fight against Shell Canada’s Jackpine oilsands mine expansion plan.

The federal government approved the project last month despite a review panel's conclusion that the project would result in severe and irreversible environmental damage.

Shell has said it will double its bitumen production in the region to 300,000 barrels a day and the project will create 750 jobs.

The “Honour the Treaties” concert will take place Toronto’s Massey Hall Sunday night, and moves to Winnipeg, Regina and Calgary later this week.

“I want my grandchildren to grow up and look up and see a blue sky,” Young said, noting he instead only sees a government “out of control.”

“Money is number one, integrity isn’t even on the map,” he said.

Jason MacDonald, a spokesman for Prime Minister Stephen Harper, countered that "projects are approved only when they are deemed safe for Canadians and (the) environment." He added that the resource sector creates "economic opportunities" and "high-wage jobs" for thousands of Canadians.

Neil Young blasts Harper government for allowing development of Alberta oilsands | CTV News
Last edited by mentalfloss; Jan 12th, 2014 at 08:05 PM..

petros
+8 / -1
#2  Top Rated Post
Neil Young is a f-cking idiot.

Goober
Free Thinker
+3 / -1
Yep - when you are old, rich why you can say what you want.
Why are his news newsworthy- Not

damngrumpy
No Party Affiliation
+1
Neil Young is there to stop something. The problem is we need the resource.
If he were there demanding the best possible ways to extract the oil and to
be aware of environmental damage I could see a place for that. We need to
ensure all is being done that can be done but to completely stop it when we
need the oil is nonsense

mentalfloss
This might be a pretty big game changer.

Especially since people will accept legalization of Mary Jane as the perfect commercial alternative.

Goober
Free Thinker
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by mentalflossView Post

This might be a pretty big game changer.

Especially since people will accept legalization of Mary Jane as the perfect commercial alternative.

Oil sand are needed.
Tax rev is substantial. 1 Trillion plus.
Canada's productivity for exports sucks.
We should be refining and extracting the chemicasl from the oil sands before exporting
For decades we sent NG to the US, they stripped the gas - added value to the products extracted from that gas.

bill barilko
+1
He's written some great tunes but on a personal level comes across as a complete flake.

petros
+1 / -1
That's funny MF. Young is giving money to people who are making huge money off the oil sands.

I bet they think it's one f-ck of a joke.
Last edited by petros; Jan 12th, 2014 at 09:13 PM..

Goober
Free Thinker
Quote: Originally Posted by petrosView Post

That's tunny MF. Young is giving money to people who are making huge money off the oil sands.

I bet they think it's one f-ck of a joke.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/01/13/bu...html?ref=world

mentalfloss
+2 / -1
It doesn't matter what economic boon is coming from the oilsands when people's opinions are swayed by influential artists.

It's a shame really.

Goober
Free Thinker
+1

It doesn't matter what economic boon is coming from the oilsands when people's opinions are swayed by influential artists.

It's a shame really.

That along with actors, sports figures is sad and the public laps it up- what does that say about the public. Scary in my opinion, what intelligence do they bring to the table, generally about the 0.10 IQ level.

Locutus
+3
God bless mister young.

DaSleeper
+3
Quote: Originally Posted by GooberView Post

That along with actors, sports figures is sad and the public laps it up- what does that say about the public. Scary in my opinion, what intelligence do they bring to the table, generally about the 0.10 IQ level.

Now, if it was Justin Bieber stating an opinion.......I might?........Naaah!

petros

It's a shame really.

Influential?

darkbeaver
Republican
+1
Quote:

Neil Young is accusing the Canadian government of “trading integrity for money”

What did he think they were elected for?

petros
+1
Too bad he gave up his citizenship to have any say in whatever the fu©k Canadians do.

taxslave
No Party Affiliation
neil WHO?

B00Mer
Republican
+1
Who is Neil Young is his somebody important??

Yawn.... Who cares what some hippie has to say, does he drive a car, use plastic items in his house, TV, Tupperware, wear clothes... Then I guess he buys OIL byproducts from the same source as the rest of North America..

I have said it in the past, it totally unrealistic to just cut off our sources of oil but at the same time we should be developing alternative energy, get tax credits to make our homes solar or geothermal

taxslave
No Party Affiliation
Quote: Originally Posted by B00MerView Post

Who is Neil Young is his somebody important??

Yawn.... Who cares what some hippie has to say, does he drive a car, use plastic items in his house, TV, Tupperware, wear clothes... Then I guess he buys OIL byproducts from the same source as the rest of North America..

I have said it in the past, it totally unrealistic to just cut off our sources of oil but at the same time we should be developing alternative energy, get tax credits to make our homes solar or geothermal

That would be rich hippy.

bill barilko
+2

Too bad he gave up his citizenship to have any say in whatever the fu©k Canadians do.

Neil Young is a Canadian citizen still-as unlikely as that may seem to some who don't get out much

petros
Oil sands bitumen and heavy oil are one of the best sources of paraffin for making plastic which is recyclable over and over.

I bet he sells GMO cotton and fleece made from recycled plastic soda bottles as tour clothing with t-shirts starting at $50 a pop.

BaalsTears
Neil Young is another Canadian export to California. Thanks a lot you guys.

taxslave
No Party Affiliation
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by BaalsTearsView Post

Neil Young is another Canadian export to California. Thanks a lot you guys.

Isn't that where all the flakes hang out?

petros
Where does he live.......illegally?

BaalsTears
+1 / -1
Quote: Originally Posted by taxslaveView Post

Isn't that where all the flakes hang out?

Maybe so. Conversely, isn't Canada where all the flakes start out?

taxslave
No Party Affiliation
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by BaalsTearsView Post

Maybe so. Conversely, isn't Canada where all the flakes start out?

Nope. Ronny raygun and both bushes are home grown.

bill barilko
+1

I know you've travelled very very little and thus know next to nothing about the big cold world but it is possible for people to hold citizenship in more than one (1) country.
Last edited by bill barilko; Jan 12th, 2014 at 09:41 PM..

taxslave
No Party Affiliation
Quote: Originally Posted by bill barilkoView Post

I know you've travelled very very little but it is possible for people to hold citizenship in more than one (1) country.

ANd some mouthpieces are prone to leaving a huge carbon footprint all over the world.

petros
Dual citizenship is a scam. Either you are Canadian living in Canada or your not really Canadian. It's like an honorary degree from a University.

Your passport if you even have one will never have as many stamps as mine. You can't even afford to go drink in Point Roberts.

BaalsTears

He's a legal resident. Young has a ranch outside La Honda, California in the Santa Cruz Mountains.

Quote: Originally Posted by taxslaveView Post

Nope. Ronny raygun and both bushes are home grown.

Those guys weren't from California. Reagan was from Illinois. Bushes were from Texas or Ontario or something like that.

Dual citizenship is a scam. Either you are Canadian living in Canada or your not really Canadian. It's like an honorary degree from a University.

Your passport if you even have one will never have as many stamps as mine. You can't even afford to go drink in Point Roberts.

Canada is the place they always ask me if I'm armed before they let me in. Haha.

no new posts