Neil Young blasts Harper government for allowing development of Alberta oilsands

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
Poor neocons. They never get cool rock stars supporting their cause. I wonder why that is...

Neil Young Blasts Harper Government for allowing development of oilsands.

Neil Young is accusing the Canadian government of “trading integrity for money” when it comes to Alberta’s oilsands.
Speaking at a news conference Sunday, the rock legend suggested the Canadian government is “killing” First Nations people by pushing forward with rapid development of the oilsands.

“The blood of these people will be on modern Canada’s hands,” he said.

Young was speaking in Toronto ahead of the first of four benefit concerts aimed at raising money and awareness for the Athabasca Chipewyan First Nation’s legal fight against Shell Canada’s Jackpine oilsands mine expansion plan.

The federal government approved the project last month despite a review panel's conclusion that the project would result in severe and irreversible environmental damage.

Shell has said it will double its bitumen production in the region to 300,000 barrels a day and the project will create 750 jobs.

The “Honour the Treaties” concert will take place Toronto’s Massey Hall Sunday night, and moves to Winnipeg, Regina and Calgary later this week.

“I want my grandchildren to grow up and look up and see a blue sky,” Young said, noting he instead only sees a government “out of control.”

“Money is number one, integrity isn’t even on the map,” he said.

Jason MacDonald, a spokesman for Prime Minister Stephen Harper, countered that "projects are approved only when they are deemed safe for Canadians and (the) environment." He added that the resource sector creates "economic opportunities" and "high-wage jobs" for thousands of Canadians.

Neil Young blasts Harper government for allowing development of Alberta oilsands | CTV News

Last edited:

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
Yep - when you are old, rich why you can say what you want.
Why are his news newsworthy- Not

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
Neil Young is there to stop something. The problem is we need the resource.
If he were there demanding the best possible ways to extract the oil and to
be aware of environmental damage I could see a place for that. We need to
ensure all is being done that can be done but to completely stop it when we
need the oil is nonsense

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
This might be a pretty big game changer.

Especially since people will accept legalization of Mary Jane as the perfect commercial alternative.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
This might be a pretty big game changer.

Especially since people will accept legalization of Mary Jane as the perfect commercial alternative.

Oil sand are needed.
Tax rev is substantial. 1 Trillion plus.
Canada's productivity for exports sucks.
We should be refining and extracting the chemicasl from the oil sands before exporting
For decades we sent NG to the US, they stripped the gas - added value to the products extracted from that gas.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
That's funny MF. Young is giving money to people who are making huge money off the oil sands.

I bet they think it's one f-ck of a joke.

Last edited:

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
It doesn't matter what economic boon is coming from the oilsands when people's opinions are swayed by influential artists.

It's a shame really.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
It doesn't matter what economic boon is coming from the oilsands when people's opinions are swayed by influential artists.

It's a shame really.

That along with actors, sports figures is sad and the public laps it up- what does that say about the public. Scary in my opinion, what intelligence do they bring to the table, generally about the 0.10 IQ level.

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,
That along with actors, sports figures is sad and the public laps it up- what does that say about the public. Scary in my opinion, what intelligence do they bring to the table, generally about the 0.10 IQ level.
Now, if it was Justin Bieber stating an opinion.......I might?........Naaah!

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com
Who is Neil Young is his somebody important??

Yawn.... Who cares what some hippie has to say, does he drive a car, use plastic items in his house, TV, Tupperware, wear clothes... Then I guess he buys OIL byproducts from the same source as the rest of North America..

I have said it in the past, it totally unrealistic to just cut off our sources of oil but at the same time we should be developing alternative energy, get tax credits to make our homes solar or geothermal

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
Who is Neil Young is his somebody important??

Yawn.... Who cares what some hippie has to say, does he drive a car, use plastic items in his house, TV, Tupperware, wear clothes... Then I guess he buys OIL byproducts from the same source as the rest of North America..

I have said it in the past, it totally unrealistic to just cut off our sources of oil but at the same time we should be developing alternative energy, get tax credits to make our homes solar or geothermal

That would be rich hippy.