Canada and Russia getting along in the Arctic

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
Baird says Canada, Russia work well in Arctic

Whether it's sharp differences over gay rights, political meddling in Ukraine or controversy over same sex adoptions, there's no shortage of acrimony between Canada and Russia these days.

But it's not all bad, insists Foreign Affairs Minister John Baird — himself an outspoken critic of Russia's so-called anti-gay law — because he says the two countries are getting along just fine in one important area: the Arctic.

"On the Arctic and other issues, we can and have worked well," Baird said in a recent interview. "I have a professional relationship with my Russian counterpart, Sergey Lavrov.

"I don't agree with him on some things. But he's a smart, experienced and effective foreign minister for his government."

Baird's careful diplomatic language comes in the face of some other, more recent tough talk from him on those three other major irritants in the Canada-Russia relationship as the Winter Olympics in Sochi are set to begin next month.

Baird says Canada, Russia work well in Arctic

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
There is no feasible way to occupy or attack anywhere north of the circle. It cripples equipment and kills people in just minutes.

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com
The Russians did it!!!! WAR!!!!!

desertcoffee

Jan 12, 2014
There is no feasible way to occupy or attack anywhere north of the circle. It cripples equipment and kills people in just minutes.

I was suggusting that they threaten the other northern countries if they didn't get a stake in the natural gas

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
It's a useless waste of money and fiscal conservatives should feel ashamed for supporting the project.

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
wtf happened to the font in this thread?

Edit: nm, appears back to normal now

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
I notice that from time to time... the font changes for everyone when someone changes their font.