Canada and Russia getting along in the Arctic

mentalfloss
Baird says Canada, Russia work well in Arctic

Whether it's sharp differences over gay rights, political meddling in Ukraine or controversy over same sex adoptions, there's no shortage of acrimony between Canada and Russia these days.

But it's not all bad, insists Foreign Affairs Minister John Baird — himself an outspoken critic of Russia's so-called anti-gay law — because he says the two countries are getting along just fine in one important area: the Arctic.

"On the Arctic and other issues, we can and have worked well," Baird said in a recent interview. "I have a professional relationship with my Russian counterpart, Sergey Lavrov.

"I don't agree with him on some things. But he's a smart, experienced and effective foreign minister for his government."

Baird's careful diplomatic language comes in the face of some other, more recent tough talk from him on those three other major irritants in the Canada-Russia relationship as the Winter Olympics in Sochi are set to begin next month.

Baird says Canada, Russia work well in Arctic

taxslave
No Party Affiliation
+1
SHould be no problems between us in the Arctic. Our lands meet at the pole. There is no overlap.

L Gilbert
No Party Affiliation
+1
Yeah, politicians like to talk a lot and spew platitudes about countries getting along well.
And TS is right, no overlapping of claims, so peace is the rational conclusion.

BaalsTears
Do American claims also extend to the pole?

desertcoffee
+3
#5  Top Rated Post
Quote: Originally Posted by BaalsTearsView Post

They think so because they have alaska. I am not sure if the do but their stockpile of nukes and their army says they do, so who am I to argue.

petros
+3
There is no feasible way to occupy or attack anywhere north of the circle. It cripples equipment and kills people in just minutes.

B00Mer
Republican
+1
The Russians did it!!!! WAR!!!!!

petros
+1
Mikhail never made that rifle. It's a false flag operation.

taxslave
No Party Affiliation
Quote: Originally Posted by BaalsTearsView Post

Americans claim the whole world.

desertcoffee
Quote: Originally Posted by petrosView Post

There is no feasible way to occupy or attack anywhere north of the circle. It cripples equipment and kills people in just minutes.

I was suggusting that they threaten the other northern countries if they didn't get a stake in the natural gas

mentalfloss
Guess we don't need the financially wasteful jets.

BaalsTears
Quote: Originally Posted by taxslaveView Post

That didn't work out very well did it?

Quote: Originally Posted by petrosView Post

HTML Code:
https://

petros
Quote: Originally Posted by mentalflossView Post

Guess we don't need the financially wasteful jets.

Thanks to a joint deal with Shaw we have the high ground and an eye in the sky. Is it a weaponized with a whack of Davy Crocketts? We can only guess.

mentalfloss
It's a useless waste of money and fiscal conservatives should feel ashamed for supporting the project.

EagleSmack
Quote: Originally Posted by taxslaveView Post

We do?

Quote: Originally Posted by desertcoffeeView Post

I was suggusting that they threaten the other northern countries if they didn't get a stake in the natural gas

Threaten with nukes?

mentalfloss
wtf happened to the font in this thread?

Edit: nm, appears back to normal now

EagleSmack
I notice that from time to time... the font changes for everyone when someone changes their font.