The Man Who Almost Became Toronto’s Crazy Mayor

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
George Smitherman is supposed to be the mayor of Toronto.

During the 2010 election, the former deputy premier was the liberal elite’s standard-bearer. Sure, his name was attached to a few sordid, multi-million-dollar political disasters, but that’s true of pretty much every career politician of any stripe.

He was—in the tradition of the city’s slew of progressive mayors—smoothly well spoken and unfailingly presentable, if occasionally cranky. He was the cool kind of bald.

And most importantly, he was gay.

In 2007, Smitherman and his “husband,” Christopher Peloso, were “married” in a “traditional aboriginal ceremony.” They promptly adopted two children.

How could he possibly lose?

The polls closed at 8PM. Literally a few minutes later, Rob Ford—fat, clumsy, inarticulate, suburban, stubborn; married to a woman in a ceremony that included neither an eagle feather nor smudge; a father the old-fashioned way, however unpalatable that notion might be—was declared the winner. In fact, the result was what passes these days for a landslide: Ford received just over 51% of the vote to Smitherman’s 31%.

The elites were dumbfounded and furious.

more

The Man Who Almost Became Toronto’s Crazy Mayor - Taki's Magazine

BornRuff

Time Out
Nov 17, 2013
Wow. Some people have absolutely no shame.

I'm sure you posted this just to piss off people like me, but seriously, there has to be some limits of what people will use to troll other people.

55Mercury

rigid member
May 31, 2007

I'm sure you posted this just to piss off people like me, but seriously, there has to be some limits of what people will use to troll other people.
lol

If you don't like having troll-sh*t dished right back at you, then perhaps you haven't come to the right place.

BornRuff

Time Out
Nov 17, 2013
Why? Don't like to admit we could have had a crazier mayor?

How does him being gay or having a husband who suffered from mental illness make him "crazier"?

comprehension problems?

from the dumbfounded link:

http://www.blogto.com/upload/2010/10/20101025-twitter15.jpg

um, actually George, that was the anthem for the outgoing mayor: We bilked this city!

What is there for me to comprehend? You have not actually said anything that would constitute a complete thought yet.

Are you trying to say that people criticizing our current mayor for refusing to get help for his substance abuse issues that are affecting his ability to do his job is in any way comparable to George Smitherman's situation?

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving

Admited drug use and mental illness. How many average smucks with the same issues would be approved to adopt?

55Mercury

rigid member
May 31, 2007
How does him being gay or having a husband who suffered from mental illness make him "crazier"?

What is there for me to comprehend? You have not actually said anything that would constitute a complete thought yet.

Are you trying to say that people criticizing our current mayor for refusing to get help for his substance abuse issues that are affecting his ability to do his job is in any way comparable to George Smitherman's situation?
lol

when I lived in van back in the mid-seventies, if you wanted the really good drugs you got them from the gays.

don't try to tell me that phalluses are the only things they blow.

BornRuff

Time Out
Nov 17, 2013
Admited drug use and mental illness. How many average smucks with the same issues would be approved to adopt?

I hope you are just trolling. Who on earth would choose this time to insult a person's right to marriage and to raise children?

Smitherman used drugs in the mid 90's, before he entered public life and long before he adopted children. He got the help he needed and the only reason his drug use became public knowledge is because he chose to reveal that in order to work with other people struggling with addiction.

1/5 people in Canada experience mental illness in their lifetime. It isn't something that automatically makes you unable to raise children. Christopher's illness became much worse recently, but he was also accessing a great deal of help to try to fight the illness.

These are not things that would exclude other people from adoption. It just seems like homophobic people looking for reason to attack a homosexual couple. There has never been any suggestion that their children were not receiving all of the love and support that they could possibly want.

lol

when I lived in van back in the mid-seventies, if you wanted the really good drugs you got them from the gays.

don't try to tell me that phalluses are the only things they blow.

Okie dokie. You are just a sick human being. I guess I will have to move on from you.

55Mercury

rigid member
May 31, 2007
you know, if you get the last word in it doesn't mean you win the argument (what argument?) or that anyone even agrees with you - all it really means is that people have grown tired of you. but please, do continue your perpetual lament.

BornRuff

Time Out
Nov 17, 2013
you know, if you get the last word in it doesn't mean you win the argument (what argument?) or that anyone even agrees with you - all it really means is that people have grown tired of you. but please, do continue your perpetual lament.

Lol, where did you get the idea that I thought you would stop posting?

A-holes will be a-holes.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
I am? I called you thin skinned.

Here is Rob Ford's home phone number. Call up his wife and ask what's on the buffet tonight. 416-233-6934

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
The guy's partner just died and he isn't even running for mayor.

Just goes to show how petty and ideological the right can be.

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
Sometimes all there is is innuendo. The would be mayor having lost is gay so what,
He used drugs prior to his entering public life so what
He has a family with children so what
The one thing we know for sure is we had an episode with a very unstable mayor
who has a family, was involved in drug use while being mayor, drove drunk while
being mayor and created the biggest international black eye for Toronto we have
seen in a generation. That is fact it happened and the man is still the mayor.
How much crazier would you like? Trying to make serious news out of what might
have been is like inventing an imaginary Prime Minister and then making accusations
against him,. The difference between the would be Mayor and the current Mayor is
The man who almost became Mayor made his personal life known so others could
benefit if I understand things right while the current Mayor made his indiscretions
known when they already became public and created a firestorm of controversy
If Mayor Ford made every apology in writing the city would have run out of stationery
The one thing about this that is overlooked is the current Mayor is finally it would
appear getting some help to gain control of his life.
That is a good sign the rest of this is nothing more than innuendo and gossip mongering
by those who have no other ammunition to present why one side or another could do a
better job for Toronto's citizens isn't that the more important issue? Or do the people
count at all?