Kathleen Wynne, Poverty Skank


Locutus
+1
#1
via bcf

Food gift card campaign thrown together to make Wynne look good

This gift card program was rolled out so quickly and with such little thought it was bound to fail.

The government told people they could get money for free — and then were surprised when droves of people showed up to fight their way to the front of the line.

Those most in need didn’t have a chance of getting the money.

Food gift card campaign thrown together to make Wynne look good | Toronto & GTA | News | Toronto Sun

Sun News : Wynne Liberals play storm politics
 
spaminator
#2
things got ugly. eg. people pushed, squeezed, mowed down, trampled, doors broken, etc. I guess the festive season is over.
 
mentalfloss
No Party Affiliation
#3
She should've fed people 20 dolla billz like Ford.
 
Walter
+2
#4
Absolute disaster of a program. Where's The Star on this?
 
mentalfloss
No Party Affiliation
-1
#5
Absolute disaster reported by no one.
 
Walter
#6
Quote: Originally Posted by mentalflossView Post

Absolute disaster reported by no one.

Wrong.



http://ca.news.yahoo.com/blogs/daily...194939455.html

Food gift card campaign thrown together to make Wynne look good | Toronto & GTA | News | Toronto Sun


Hey, here's The Star.


http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2014...hers_gone.html
Last edited by Walter; Jan 3rd, 2014 at 07:35 AM..
 
BornRuff
#7
I think that the bigger issue here is why this article was filed under "news"

Food gift card campaign thrown together to make Wynne look good | Toronto & GTA | News | Toronto Sun
 
Locutus
#8
Quote: Originally Posted by BornRuffView Post

I think that the bigger issue here is why this article was filed under "news"

Food gift card campaign thrown together to make Wynne look good | Toronto & GTA | News | Toronto Sun


Why u mad tho?

Annnnnyway....

News

Newsworthy
 
mentalfloss
No Party Affiliation
+1
#9
A little ruckus at a food clinic isn't really newsworthy.
 
Locutus
#10
Quote: Originally Posted by mentalflossView Post

A little ruckus at a food clinic isn't really newsworthy.

Ye must protest to the papers dude. They say you're wrong.
 
BornRuff
+2
#11
Quote: Originally Posted by LocutusView Post

Why u mad tho?

Annnnnyway....

News

Newsworthy

I'm not saying the topic isn't newsworthy, I am commenting on the amount of opinion from the author included in that story. I mean, look at the damn headline.
 
mentalfloss
No Party Affiliation
#12
Complaining about something like this is just petty entitlement from people who love to hate anything their government does.

It's the same people that turn around and defend goons like Ford who bribe the poor for votes with 20s and slogan pins.
 
skookumchuck
Free Thinker
+3
#13  Top Rated Post
Quote: Originally Posted by mentalflossView Post

A little ruckus at a food clinic isn't really newsworthy.

Would have been real big with the people's whiners if had been a Con.
 
Locutus
+2
#14
Kinda like the hipsters that got mad that Rob didn't go to DEFCON 1 during the blackout.
 
mentalfloss
No Party Affiliation
#15
Quote: Originally Posted by LocutusView Post

Kinda like the hipsters that got mad that Rob didn't go to DEFCON 1 during the blackout.

Yea, them hipster pensioners lol
 
IdRatherBeSkiing
+1
#16
It's a stupid implementation. Limited supplies for a limited time, of course people will fight. When MsQuinty bought our vote several years ago he mailed everybody a cheque. That would have worked better here.
 
Locutus
+1
#17
Hey, they got their $50 Metro Gift Certificates from uncle Kathleen. They should shut up and be grateful.
 
mentalfloss
No Party Affiliation
#18
The majority of people who needed help got it.

When the bastions of the right and self responsibility are complaining about not getting their handout, it's petty.
 
Locutus
#19
Of course they did.

Wynneocare.
 
BornRuff
#20
I certainly don't think this was rolled out in a great way, but I don't necessarily know if there is a good way to do this.

Just mailing a cheque to everyone would cost many millions of dollars and most of the people probably wont really need it all that much to begin with. Having people send in applications and be approved based on some sort of merit would cost millions in administrative fees and cause a ton of headaches.

It is a cool idea to partner with businesses to provide some relief, but ya, we need to figure out a better way to do it.
 
damngrumpy
No Party Affiliation
+2
#21
What is news? News is a story that is of value to a great number of people to make
them aware or who have been impacted by an event. If this was across an entire
province it might be news. If it happened at one clinic and it affected a small number
of people it is not news in the main sense but it could be in a secondary story.
The Sun will look for things they can scream about so even if it is news the main
news outlets will ignore it. The current wave of right wing hysteria and created a left
wing hysteria to match. The result polarization and nothing happens and young
people turn to entertainment news cause at least something is happening.
I say right wing hysteria cause it started in the mid to late nineties with the so called
moral majority and it keeps changing costumes but its the same old act.
At some point someone will have to have a serious and genuine talk with someone
to begin to bring reality back to politics the media and society in general
 
IdRatherBeSkiing
#22
If Rob Ford was giving away these grocery coupons, the same people who are saying 'its right wing hystarea' or 'its not news' would be screaming bloody murder. Its not news if it goes with your political leaning. Uncle Katty can do no wrong if you are a Lieberal.

And I am not sure what real media you are refering. We have 2 papers here in Toronto. The Sun which tends to lean right and put sexy girls on page 3. And a tabloid called the Star which graces the front pages with pictures of a smiling Justine Trudeau regularly when they can't find anything interesting in Rob Ford's trash.
 
BornRuff
+1
#23
Quote: Originally Posted by IdRatherBeSkiingView Post

If Rob Ford was giving away these grocery coupons, the same people who are saying 'its right wing hystarea' or 'its not news' would be screaming bloody murder. Its not news if it goes with your political leaning. Uncle Katty can do no wrong if you are a Lieberal.

And I am not sure what real media you are refering. We have 2 papers here in Toronto. The Sun which tends to lean right and put sexy girls on page 3. And a tabloid called the Star which graces the front pages with pictures of a smiling Justine Trudeau regularly when they can't find anything interesting in Rob Ford's trash.

You gotta get your facts straight. The Sun is literally a tabloid.

The article posted here is also a pretty clear example that the problems with "The Sun" are not about their political leanings. Filling a "news" story with so much opinion from the journalist is simply bad journalism. Opinion pieces and news are two different things.
 
mentalfloss
No Party Affiliation
#24
Actually it was the right who threw up more of a stink about Ford's bribery efforts. They were the ones that tried desperately to repackage it as a charitable Xmas gift even though he's been seen trying to brainwash kids in school hallways on multiple occasions.
 
IdRatherBeSkiing
#25
Quote: Originally Posted by BornRuffView Post

You gotta get your facts straight. The Sun is literally a tabloid.

True, but I was refering to the connotation usually refered to the National Enquireror and other such papers with journalistic integrity at a level just above that of the Toronto Star.

Quote: Originally Posted by BornRuffView Post

The article posted here is also a pretty clear example that the problems with "The Sun" are not about their political leanings. Filling a "news" story with so much opinion from the journalist is simply bad journalism. Opinion pieces and news are two different things.

I haven't seen a 'news' piece that isn't a collection of opinions. Some are more clever at hiding that. But usually they go out and inverview 5000 people. Find the 5 or 10 that support the point they are trying to make and piece together a story. Sometimes they mix in a fact or 2 if those facts don't detract from the point of view they are trying to present. It is more obvious to you because the opinions expressed don't match your own.

So why do you think this was not a political scam? I would tend to assert that everything she has done the last 2 weeks has been entirely political. It also has an added benifit of making people forget about the billions and billions her government has lost due to its political favours.

And I know you are dying to tell us how this is all Rob Ford's fault.
 
BornRuff
+1
#26
Quote: Originally Posted by IdRatherBeSkiingView Post

True, but I was refering to the connotation usually refered to the National Enquireror and other such papers with journalistic integrity at a level just above that of the Toronto Star.



I haven't seen a 'news' piece that isn't a collection of opinions. Some are more clever at hiding that. But usually they go out and inverview 5000 people. Find the 5 or 10 that support the point they are trying to make and piece together a story. Sometimes they mix in a fact or 2 if those facts don't detract from the point of view they are trying to present. It is more obvious to you because the opinions expressed don't match your own.

So why do you think this was not a political scam? I would tend to assert that everything she has done the last 2 weeks has been entirely political. It also has an added benifit of making people forget about the billions and billions her government has lost due to its political favours.

And I know you are dying to tell us how this is all Rob Ford's fault.

It would be nice if the "journalist" who wrote this piece even bothered to do that. In this she literally just writes about her own opinion on the issue.

Here are some direct quotes from the article. These are not her quoting people she talked to, these are just her putting her opinion on the page.

Quote:

"He said, and I agree, that this is another example of the Liberal Party campaigning on our dollar.

And it’s shameful."

"Frankly, I found the photo-op of her going door-to-door with baskets of food extremely distasteful."

"Now we look to Premier Mom to solve every problem."

"The gift cards should have gone to the working poor."

"Or the government should have used agencies that do this for a living — like the Salvation Army or Daily Bread Food Bank — to deliver the help."

"Only a Liberal government could turn peaceable citizens into marauding hordes."

"How disgusting is it to watch people scrambling over each other for cash? Next time, let’s make it truly entertaining and have them wrestle in Jell-O.

Then again, if the government were really smart they’d give out LCBO gift cards.

I’d like to see an accounting at the end of this. I’m sure those stores can track what was bought with the gift cards. I want to know if they paid for cigarettes. Or makeup.

Where’s Piggy when you need him?"

How can you possible argue that this belongs anywhere but the opinion section? What Christina Blizzard thinks about this story isn't news.

Food gift card campaign thrown together to make Wynne look good | Toronto & GTA | News | Toronto Sun
 
mentalfloss
No Party Affiliation
#27
Articles are just a collection of words.

It doesn't matter what order those words are placed on the page or if they even make any sense. Sun readers just need 'I hate liberal' sprinkled somewhere in there and you have a front page story.

 
Locutus
+1
#28
Changes nothing about the facts of the story. Don't get all mad again.
 
BornRuff
#29
Quote: Originally Posted by LocutusView Post

Changes nothing about the facts of the story. Don't get all mad again.

We are talking about the quality of the reporting.
 
Locutus
+1
#30
You are.
 

Similar Threads

8
Kathleen Wynne: Breaking Bad Wind
by Locutus | Oct 18th, 2013
2
9
Kathleen Wynne shrugs off Tory attack ads
by mentalfloss | Jan 28th, 2013
no new posts