Manitoba reporter fired from her job for "biased" reporting on federal politics

tay

Hall of Fame Member
May 20, 2012
Manitoba reporter fired from her job for "biased" reporting on federal politics

On a rainy afternoon in October, Jill Winzoski, a 38 year old reporter at The Selkirk Record, walked into her boss' small office and took a deep breath. That morning, Winzoski's editor had told her over the phone that she'd received an email from a Member of Parliament with harsh words about Winzoski's "biased" reporting.

James Bezan, the Conservative MP for Selkirk-Interlake, included as proof part of an email petition about a China-Canada investment treaty Winzoski had sent him the day before.

Her editor said that Brett Mitchell—one of the owners of the The Selkirk Record, and Winzoski's boss—had gotten the email as well.

Mitchell told Winzoski that she would no longer be employed at The Record. He cited her email petition to Bezan's office.

Winzoski was confused. Was she was getting fired for expressing her views as a private citizen to Bezan?

Mitchell denied that it was her signing the petition.

"To this day, I question James Bezan's ethics in forwarding that email to my employer," she said. "But Brett has told me that no politician should know how you feel."

"Perhaps it was a lack of good judgment on my part, but I wasn't aware of other newspaper policies."

In a recorded interview on November 2 between Bezan and journalist Jim Mosher, Bezan admitted to contacting her employer, complaining about the bias in her reporting.

Winzoski said she doesn't know which stories in particular were biased in Bezan's view. She knew she had reported stories that made her a little nervous before she wrote them, the ones that caused people to write letters to the editor. The stories about the Canada-Europe trade agreement. The protest outside a Consertive MP's—not Bezan's—office protesting the omnibus budget bill C-38. The stories she wrote about robocalls during the 2011 federal election. She had also written two op-eds, one of them critical of the Conservatives' dismantling of the Wheat Board.

Winzoski came home that day to find that she couldn't log in to her The Selkirk Record email account.

Two and a half weeks later, Winzoski was still wondering whether she was fired for doing her job.

"We discussed at length what a journalist can do, and I said I do find it that it doesn't add up that a newspaper-- say, your editorial board-- can endorse a party during an election, and somehow how is that, anything but a blatant display of bias, right there? Why can't an editorial board endorse any party at all?" she said. "I don't know-- I'm naïve."

While getting fired rattled her, Winzoski said she wasn't completely shocked.

Winzoski recalls Mitchell once asking her to do a glowing profile of Bezan, to smooth things over. Maxwell vetoed the idea, immediately recognizing the conflict of interest. But Winzoski's political reporting was a growing concern to the management.

One night in January or February, Maxwell had invited her out for a drink, to talk about Winzoski's stories.

"I was told to rein in any bad stories about federal politics or James Bezan, and to focus on more local issues," Winzoski said. She agreed, reluctantly.

It's a temporary thing, Maxwell told Winzoski. Winzoski asserts that Maxwell was not the one who wanted her to rein in her stories. The orders came from the paper's owners.

Then the 2011 federal election robocalls scandal story broke in May 2012. Winzoski called Bezan for comments. Bezan gave a lengthy response, but not all of it made it into the article.

After the story was published, Bezan called Winzoski while she was driving home. He told her that from now on, he didn't want to answer any more of her questions over the phone.

During this time, Maxwell warned Winzoski that Bezan pulled his advertisements from the paper, and was contacting Mitchell about Winzoski's so-called "biased" reporting.

When contacted by The Vancouver Observer, Mitchell said Winzoski was not an employee, just a freelancer. He did not comment on why she was fired, nor did he comment on his communications with Bezan.

While Mitchell dismissed her as a "freelancer", Winzoski produced over half of the original content for the paper every week.

Jim Mosher, Winzoski's friend and a Manitoba-based journalist, said that he was also shocked by what happened.

"Among my friends, the people who know Jill—it's appalling," Mosher told The Vancouver Observer, with Winzoski sitting next to him.

"But do people really care? These sorts of things are happening in increasing frequency. That's the government— 'Oh well, she shouldn't have done that.'"

Mosher, 57, was also fired from his job as a freelance editor and reporter at another local paper, the Interlake Enterprise. He was fired for speaking up on Winzoski's behalf in an iPolitics article, and for differences of opinion with his employers.

more

Manitoba reporter fired from her job for "biased" reporting on federal politics speaks out | Vancouver Observer

Retired_Can_Soldier

The End of the Dog is Coming!
Mar 19, 2006
Alberta
Re: Manitoba reporter fired from her job for "biased" reporting on federal politics

I'm not sure what to say here. The Selkirk Record is one of those little papers that serve small communities. I worked for one in the Fraser Valley writing movie reviews before I joined the army. They are made up mostly of volunteer and freelance reporters, but I suppose she could have been fired for the reasons stated. She could go to the labor board rather than than using the media. I wonder if a reporter from NOW MAGAZINE would let a reporter go if they ran against the readership of the paper and criticized the Gay Pride Parade. Maybe Damngrumby could shed a little light on the politics insides the news world.

Walter

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 28, 2007
Re: Manitoba reporter fired from her job for "biased" reporting on federal politics

Free enterprise at work.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON

On a rainy afternoon in October, Jill Winzoski, a 38 year old reporter at The Selkirk Record, walked into her boss' small office and took a deep breath. That morning, Winzoski's editor had told her over the phone that she'd received an email from a Member of Parliament with harsh words about Winzoski's "biased" reporting.

James Bezan, the Conservative MP for Selkirk-Interlake, included as proof part of an email petition about a China-Canada investment treaty Winzoski had sent him the day before.

Her editor said that Brett Mitchell—one of the owners of the The Selkirk Record, and Winzoski's boss—had gotten the email as well.

Mitchell told Winzoski that she would no longer be employed at The Record. He cited her email petition to Bezan's office.

Winzoski was confused. Was she was getting fired for expressing her views as a private citizen to Bezan?

Mitchell denied that it was her signing the petition.

"To this day, I question James Bezan's ethics in forwarding that email to my employer," she said. "But Brett has told me that no politician should know how you feel."

"Perhaps it was a lack of good judgment on my part, but I wasn't aware of other newspaper policies."

In a recorded interview on November 2 between Bezan and journalist Jim Mosher, Bezan admitted to contacting her employer, complaining about the bias in her reporting.

Winzoski said she doesn't know which stories in particular were biased in Bezan's view. She knew she had reported stories that made her a little nervous before she wrote them, the ones that caused people to write letters to the editor. The stories about the Canada-Europe trade agreement. The protest outside a Consertive MP's—not Bezan's—office protesting the omnibus budget bill C-38. The stories she wrote about robocalls during the 2011 federal election. She had also written two op-eds, one of them critical of the Conservatives' dismantling of the Wheat Board.

Winzoski came home that day to find that she couldn't log in to her The Selkirk Record email account.

Two and a half weeks later, Winzoski was still wondering whether she was fired for doing her job.

"We discussed at length what a journalist can do, and I said I do find it that it doesn't add up that a newspaper-- say, your editorial board-- can endorse a party during an election, and somehow how is that, anything but a blatant display of bias, right there? Why can't an editorial board endorse any party at all?" she said. "I don't know-- I'm naïve."

While getting fired rattled her, Winzoski said she wasn't completely shocked.

Winzoski recalls Mitchell once asking her to do a glowing profile of Bezan, to smooth things over. Maxwell vetoed the idea, immediately recognizing the conflict of interest. But Winzoski's political reporting was a growing concern to the management.

One night in January or February, Maxwell had invited her out for a drink, to talk about Winzoski's stories.

"I was told to rein in any bad stories about federal politics or James Bezan, and to focus on more local issues," Winzoski said. She agreed, reluctantly.

It's a temporary thing, Maxwell told Winzoski. Winzoski asserts that Maxwell was not the one who wanted her to rein in her stories. The orders came from the paper's owners.

Then the 2011 federal election robocalls scandal story broke in May 2012. Winzoski called Bezan for comments. Bezan gave a lengthy response, but not all of it made it into the article.

After the story was published, Bezan called Winzoski while she was driving home. He told her that from now on, he didn't want to answer any more of her questions over the phone.

During this time, Maxwell warned Winzoski that Bezan pulled his advertisements from the paper, and was contacting Mitchell about Winzoski's so-called "biased" reporting.

When contacted by The Vancouver Observer, Mitchell said Winzoski was not an employee, just a freelancer. He did not comment on why she was fired, nor did he comment on his communications with Bezan.

While Mitchell dismissed her as a "freelancer", Winzoski produced over half of the original content for the paper every week.

Jim Mosher, Winzoski's friend and a Manitoba-based journalist, said that he was also shocked by what happened.

"Among my friends, the people who know Jill—it's appalling," Mosher told The Vancouver Observer, with Winzoski sitting next to him.

"But do people really care? These sorts of things are happening in increasing frequency. That's the government— 'Oh well, she shouldn't have done that.'"

Mosher, 57, was also fired from his job as a freelance editor and reporter at another local paper, the Interlake Enterprise. He was fired for speaking up on Winzoski's behalf in an iPolitics article, and for differences of opinion with his employers.

more

Manitoba reporter fired from her job for "biased" reporting on federal politics speaks out | Vancouver Observer

I'd say that objective reporting is an expectation of any journalist with pretentions to professionalism.

That said, since I do not know the details of her specific case, I'd say that the onus is still on the newspaper to prove its case in the event that she decides to pursue it in court.

Free enterprise at work.

I still think there should be limits to free enterprise. I'd be dead set against a new owner of the paper just deciding to fire her because she was black for example.

Walter

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 28, 2007

I'd be dead set against a new owner of the paper just deciding to fire her because she was black for example.
Or white.

Retired_Can_Soldier

The End of the Dog is Coming!
Mar 19, 2006
Alberta

Thanks for the thumbbs up Nug and thanks for the thumbs down Walter yuh big closet queen. :) Once you go black you'll never go back.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC

I'd say that objective reporting is an expectation of any journalist with pretentions to professionalism.
There is no objective reporting, There is only the biased reporting policies of the owners of the media. .

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON

There is no objective reporting, There is only the biased reporting policies of the owners of the media. .

If that's true, then it's a sad day indeed.

But, Cliffy, while what you say is true to a degree, you will find objective reporting if you look for it.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC

If that's true, then it's a sad day indeed.

But, Cliffy, while what you say is true to a degree, you will find objective reporting if you look for it.
Everybody has a bias. Everybody sees life through the filters of their bias. Nobody is objective. Facts are not always facts. The truth is relative.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON

Everybody has a bias. Everybody sees life through the filters of their bias. Nobody is objective. Facts are not always facts. The truth is relative.

It is possible for a reporter to write objectively. All they have to do is write verifyable facts only. I'ts really not that difficult to do. If they're concerned about selecting facts, even subconsiously, then they can always question themselves and make an effort to cover other sides of the story. Even then yes, there may be some unconscious bias based on their own knowledge of a situation, but the intnet is taht they make a reasonable effort to do so. It's not that hard to comprehend.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island

A freelancer is a contractor. You can't"fire' a contractor but you can refuse to give them any more work.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON

A freelancer is a contractor. You can't"fire' a contractor but you can refuse to give them any more work.

True enough, though it would be hoped that the decision would be based on objective reasons to maintain the reputability of the paper.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island

True enough, though it would be hoped that the decision would be based on objective reasons to maintain the reputability of the paper.

The article stated she was told by the paper to tone down her negative reporting. Remember this is a small community where the advertisers have a fair amount of pull when it comes to what get written in the paper.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON

The article stated she was told by the paper to tone down her negative reporting. Remember this is a small community where the advertisers have a fair amount of pull when it comes to what get written in the paper.

Fair enough. In that respect, NGO-funded media is sometimes (I stress 'sometimes') more objective owing to its depending on voluntary contributions and not advertizing. Though of course this depends on the specific type of NGO in question, obviously.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007

The days of objective journalism are over. Please the right people or lose.

Dixie Cup

Senate Member
Sep 16, 2006
Edmonton

How sad is this situation?