Conservatives: Not our job to feed starving Canadian children

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
James Moore: Not my job to 'feed neighbour's children'

It's not up to the federal government to help out children who don't have enough to eat, Industry Minister James Moore said in Vancouver.

Speaking to a Vancouver radio station Friday, Moore said British Columbia's child poverty rates aren't the responsibility of the federal government, and it won't "usurp" the province.

"Is it the government's job — my job to feed my neighbour's children? I don't think so," Moore said.

CBC News - James Moore: Not my job to 'feed neighbour's children'

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
James Moore: Not my job to 'feed neighbour's children'

It's not up to the federal government to help out children who don't have enough to eat, Industry Minister James Moore said in Vancouver.

Speaking to a Vancouver radio station Friday, Moore said British Columbia's child poverty rates aren't the responsibility of the federal government, and it won't "usurp" the province.

"Is it the government's job — my job to feed my neighbour's children? I don't think so," Moore said.

CBC News - James Moore: Not my job to 'feed neighbour's children'

Yep, typical "let George do it" mentality.

Christianna

Electoral Member
Dec 18, 2012
It's someone's job to feed hungry children, individuals can't do it by themselves. At this time of year there are many charities that help the poor the rest of the time either the provincial or federal governments must do it. If my neighbor had children and they were hungry I would try to help them but I can't afford to do very much. That's why governments must.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
It's someone's job to feed hungry children, individuals can't do it by themselves. At this time of year there are many charities that help the poor the rest of the time either the provincial or federal governments must do it. If my neighbor had children and they were hungry I would try to help them but I can't afford to do very much. That's why governments must.

Child Tax Credit

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
He is right and he is wrong. The fact is transfer payments are not sufficient to do the job
they were intended to do In contrast the Provincial Governments are not doing enough to
ensure the money they get is spent wisely.
It is the job of all of us to ensure children don't go hungry period. Arguing over who should
pay is disgusting and demonstrates the lack of empathy some have for those less fortunate.
Even if they can't help more and solve everyone's problems doesn't mean they have the
right to just ignore hunger, children or otherwise. We live in a country that assists the world's
hungry and rightfully so. If we can do that surely we have it within us to see our nations kids
don't go to bed hungry. I have said it before the measure of a nation's greatness is in fact
demonstrated in how we treat our less fortunate. Many do not realize just how many Canadians
are only a paycheck or two away from the same fate. Many of those are our own relatives.
So the gentleman may be right but to express it callously was not the measure of a compassionate
individual. Statements like that enforce the image of the Tories as an uncaring party when it
comes to the poor and disadvantaged

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
He is right and he is wrong. The fact is transfer payments are not sufficient to do the job
they were intended to do In contrast the Provincial Governments are not doing enough to
ensure the money they get is spent wisely.
It is the job of all of us to ensure children don't go hungry period. Arguing over who should
pay is disgusting and demonstrates the lack of empathy some have for those less fortunate.
Even if they can't help more and solve everyone's problems doesn't mean they have the
right to just ignore hunger, children or otherwise. We live in a country that assists the world's
hungry and rightfully so. If we can do that surely we have it within us to see our nations kids
don't go to bed hungry. I have said it before the measure of a nation's greatness is in fact
demonstrated in how we treat our less fortunate. Many do not realize just how many Canadians
are only a paycheck or two away from the same fate. Many of those are our own relatives.
So the gentleman may be right but to express it callously was not the measure of a compassionate
individual. Statements like that enforce the image of the Tories as an uncaring party when it
comes to the poor and disadvantaged

I think there is a two part solution to this Grumpy. Providing food or the money to buy food is half of the solution. With the fast (unnutritious and expensive) food mentality perhaps education needs to be put out there to show people how to provide healthy meals at minimal cost and staying away prepared foods mainly laced with sugar and salt, which in the long run leads to a bunch of fat, starving people.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
Short of buying the food and cooking it how are you going to force a crackhead or a drunk to feed their kids? Give them money and it goes to their favorite addiction not to the kids.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Short of buying the food and cooking it how are you going to force a crackhead or a drunk to feed their kids? Give them money and it goes to their favorite addiction not to the kids.

Do you think that is typical or more the exception?

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
Do you think that is typical or more the exception?

From what I have seen it is typical. If it was the exception we wouldn't have such a problem. This has nothing to do with being poor either. Most poor people manage to feed and clothe their kids just fine. They don't have much else but their kids get fed. But you will never see them in the bar or the crackhouse on welfare wednesday either.

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
So anybody without a job is a crackhead or a drunk?
Fire pork-barrel Ottawa and there would be no hungry children in any part of Canada.

From what I have seen it is typical. If it was the exception we wouldn't have such a problem. This has nothing to do with being poor either. Most poor people manage to feed and clothe their kids just fine. They don't have much else but their kids get fed. But you will never see them in the bar or the crackhouse on welfare wednesday either.
I guess we know your favorite hangout now, not a big surprise.

grumpydigger

Electoral Member
Mar 4, 2009
Kelowna BC
its the federal governments job to supply corporate welfare and keep the pigs at the Trough happy.........remember dear leader wants everyone to shutup and obey

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.

I think some of it has got to do with a bit of a change in attitude about accepting charity too, which may be a good thing. When I was a kid there was a stigma to accepting charity, whereas today people aren't as backward about accepting it. But there may be a downside too in that people may not try as hard today. But to be fair I think there are more pressures on people today. With the increase in media kids are more aware today and feel a need to have more things that we never thought of.

I guess we know your favorite hangout now, not a big surprise.

You're talking stupid, again!

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
Part of the problem is people will say- That is the Govts. job- which it is - this became more prevalent as social safety net programs came into effect.
People say, not my problem.
Poverty costs Canada a fortune. Children going to school hungry do not learn- they have health issues.
Poverty in this country that pretends to care are at atrocious levels. A group that is often overlooked.
The percentage of people –Families- living from pay check to pay check is substantial.
Yes rates have dropped. Whoopee. They are still there, they are still substantial.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Part of the problem is people will say- That is the Govts. job- which it is - this became more prevalent as social safety net programs came into effect.
People say, not my problem.

Can't agree with that one Goober! Who is the Gov't.? Every time we shunt something on to the Gov't. yours and my taxes go up. Unless a person is profoundly handicapped mentally or physically, feeding themselves and their family is THEIR responsibility.

Retired_Can_Soldier

The End of the Dog is Coming!
Mar 19, 2006
Alberta
In context I don't see the issue with the comment:

Clap trap from the left. Read the comment.

"Is it the government's job — my job to feed my neighbour's child? I don't think so," Moore said.
"Obviously nobody wants kids to go to school hungry..., but is that always the government's job? To be there to serve people their breakfast? Empowering families with more power and resources so they can feed their own children is I think a good thing," he said.

Moore is a numbskull for apologizing.