Boss Harper institutes gag order on Fed Workers

tay
Hutton said the new code of conduct means the government can punish employees for saying something they don't like, even if it is true and in the public interest."

A new “loyalty agreement” for employees of members of Parliament makes government even more secretive at a time when transparency is sorely needed, critics say.

“It’s pretty shameful,” David Hutton, the executive director for the Federal Accountability Initiative for Reform (FAIR) said in an interview on Thursday.

Hutton said there is a need for protections for those who follow their consciences and expose wrongdoing.

“Canada is essentially a wasteland when it comes to whistleblower protection,” Hutton said.

Even before the new lifetime gag order was put in place, Canada lagged far behind protection for whistleblowers in Britain and Australia and even further behind American protections, Hutton said.

The code calls for a lifetime ban on revealing work information. A former employee who breaches it would be called upon to pay back termination pay.

Osgoode Hall law professor Trevor Farrow said we live in political times when transparency and accountability are required to renew public trust in politicians.

“Transparent processes lend themselves to trust, secret processes do not,” Farrow said. “A lifetime ban based on principles of loyalty, in my view, will further militate against building public trust and confidence.”

Federal employee gag order ‘shameful,’ say critics | Toronto Star

captain morgan
Bloc Québécois
Sweet.... Kinda like the Sheriff in Cool Hand Luke

Liberalman
+1
That's the Conservative government muzzles for all and all a good night

relic
Free Thinker
Of all the taters, Richard is my least favorite.

Trex
+3
#5  Top Rated Post
Quote: Originally Posted by tayView Post

Hutton said the new code of conduct means the government can punish employees for saying something they don't like, even if it is true and in the public interest."

A new “loyalty agreement” for employees of members of Parliament makes government even more secretive at a time when transparency is sorely needed, critics say.

“It’s pretty shameful,” David Hutton, the executive director for the Federal Accountability Initiative for Reform (FAIR) said in an interview on Thursday.

Hutton said there is a need for protections for those who follow their consciences and expose wrongdoing.

“Canada is essentially a wasteland when it comes to whistleblower protection,” Hutton said.

Even before the new lifetime gag order was put in place, Canada lagged far behind protection for whistleblowers in Britain and Australia and even further behind American protections, Hutton said.

The code calls for a lifetime ban on revealing work information. A former employee who breaches it would be called upon to pay back termination pay.

Osgoode Hall law professor Trevor Farrow said we live in political times when transparency and accountability are required to renew public trust in politicians.

“Transparent processes lend themselves to trust, secret processes do not,” Farrow said. “A lifetime ban based on principles of loyalty, in my view, will further militate against building public trust and confidence.”

Federal employee gag order ‘shameful,’ say critics | Toronto Star

Just one teensy-tiny little detail that was skipped.
And I woder how the Toronto Star could have not pointed this out right at the beginning.

It was an all party bill.
Dreamed up and placed in front the Federal Conservatives to be passed.
Yes Justin's Liberals, Angry Tom's NDP and indeed the Cons all worked hand in hand to create this one.

But, but, but but......Harper, Bad Harper, Evil Harper.

Justin and Tom's fingers are all over this one

tay
Quote: Originally Posted by TrexView Post

Just one teensy-tiny little detail that was skipped.
And I woder how the Toronto Star could have not pointed this out right at the beginning.

Dreamed up and placed in front the Federal Conservatives to be passed.
Yes Justin's Liberals, Angry Tom's NDP and indeed the Cons all worked hand in hand to create this one.

But, but, but but......Harper, Bad Harper, Evil Harper.

Justin and Tom's fingers are all over this one

All Party Bill?

I haven't seen proof of that yet.

If you can provide a link that states so to justify your claim that would move your claim from 'opinion' to 'fact'............

You got me thinking so instead of waiting for you I checked a CBC story on it which I had actually seen before the Star one and I see it's the Board of Internal Economy that put this in place. What I don't see yet is whether the Bill's vote proceeded on a majority or minority win.

DocumentCloud Viewer

Board of Internal Economy Members

Board of Internal Economy Membership

damngrumpy
No Party Affiliation
+2
Actually this is true we have relatives that work for the public service and I am sure
they will give a lot of money to get rid of this little dictator we have for a PM.
I am torn here, I will not vote conservative and I don't know who I will support yet
but I will work for an election campaign to get rid of the Conservatives.

Liberalman
Quote: Originally Posted by damngrumpyView Post

Actually this is true we have relatives that work for the public service and I am sure
they will give a lot of money to get rid of this little dictator we have for a PM.
I am torn here, I will not vote conservative and I don't know who I will support yet
but I will work for an election campaign to get rid of the Conservatives.

My Avitar will give you an idea who to vote for.

Kreskin
+2
Reporting "wrongdoing" is balderdash. Employees tend to bitch about anything and everything. If they don't like the code of conduct they could always work elsewhere.

Walter
+2
I have two nephews who are in boardrooms in TO; the restrictions on public employees is nothing compared to what the private sector expects from its employees.

Tonington
Quote: Originally Posted by TrexView Post

Bills are voted on in public, so we can count who was for and against. This was not a bill. It's a change to employment agreements from the Board of Internal Economy, the current membership made up of 4 Conservatives, 2 NDP, and 1 Liberal. This sort of change doesn't require a Bill.

taxslave
No Party Affiliation
Quote: Originally Posted by LiberalmanView Post

My Avitar will give you an idea who to vote for.

Your avitar is the reason Canada is in such a mess.

grumpydigger
+2
ssssssssssssssh .......dear leader wants all peons to obey..that way all scandals can be denied ...

mentalfloss
No Party Affiliation
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by WalterView Post

I have two nephews who are in boardrooms in TO; the restrictions on public employees is nothing compared to what the private sector expects from its employees.

Once again pimping that 'free' market, eh Walt?

Trex
Quote: Originally Posted by ToningtonView Post

Bills are voted on in public, so we can count who was for and against. This was not a bill. It's a change to employment agreements from the Board of Internal Economy, the current membership made up of 4 Conservatives, 2 NDP, and 1 Liberal. This sort of change doesn't require a Bill.

Your right and I was wrong about the name of the all party agreement.