Tory senators blast NDP for advocating Senate abolition

mentalfloss
No Party Affiliation
+1

Sen. Jean-Guy Dagenais on Friday became the second senator this week to join the fray, directly challenging a New Democrat MP for advocating abolition of the upper house in a flyer sent to her constituents.

In a letter sent to all parliamentarians, Dagenais referred to Charmaine Borg's flyer as "a rag" and suggested she's a whiny, ignorant, powerless Quebec MP who was elected by fluke and stands little chance of being re-elected.

Cullen scoffed at the threat and said the NDP has no intention of backing off its criticism of the Senate. "If they want to have a fight about legitimacy between us and the unelected and under investigation Senate, we welcome it," he said in an interview.​

CBC News - Tory senators blast NDP for advocating Senate abolition

Spade
Free Thinker
+5
#2  Top Rated Post
Ahh, the Senate and the Canadian People! Will the Conservatives' legions proudly hold this standard marching into the next election?
Last edited by Spade; Dec 7th, 2013 at 11:20 AM..

mentalfloss
No Party Affiliation
+4
I know most conservatives on this board are in favour of abolition.

It would save quite a pretty penny.

Spade
Free Thinker
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by mentalflossView Post

I know most conservatives on this board are in favour of abolition.

It would save quite a pretty penny.

And still in favour of character assassination?

captain morgan
Bloc Québécois
+1

Dagenais referred to Charmaine Borg's flyer as "a rag" and suggested she's a whiny, ignorant, powerless Quebec MP who was elected by fluke and stands little chance of being re-elected.

Comments like that would almost make me want to tune into CPAC.... Now, if only we could get Jerry Springer to host it

Quote: Originally Posted by SpadeView Post

Ahh, the Senate and the Canadian People! Will the Conservatives' legions proudly hold this standard marching into the next election?

It's only the Conservative Senators that are the baddies

Spade
Free Thinker
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by captain morganView Post

It's only the Conservative Senators that are the baddies

Oh yah, I forgot!

lone wolf
Free Thinker
+1
Senate's long been the reward for patronage - at least until the current chump let in some vocal foes in some silly effort to silence them and wreck the Senate rep.

Spade
Free Thinker
+1
Our dear current chump?

DaSleeper
+2

And Liberal Senators are For senate abolition?

Spade
Free Thinker
I thought the OP was about New Democrat policy? I must be getting goddamn old.

DaSleeper
+2
How many senators are NDP?
You can't count Lillian Dyck, cause the ndp refused her....

If they ever came to power, do you not think they would appoint any senators or are you that much of an ideologue?

Spade
Free Thinker
Quote: Originally Posted by DaSleeperView Post

How many senators are NDP?
You can't count Lillian Dyck, cause the ndp refused her....

If they ever came to power, do you not think they would appoint any senators or are you that much of an ideologue?

You, dear sleeper, are the ideologue. That calumny doesn't wash with me.

DaSleeper
+1

You, dear sleeper, are the ideologue. That calumny doesn't wash with me.

nice sidestep huh?

Spade
Free Thinker

nice sidestep huh?

No, the truth.

damngrumpy
No Party Affiliation
+2
It would be nice to wave a magic wand and have the Senate disappear.
Its not that simple and was set up that way. The constitution has some
issues. Unlike most countries we open our constitution and talk about
every issue for a decade at the expense of everything else.
I am with Mulcair on this one let us begin the process and dispense with
the instituion that we spent 92.5 million dollars a year on to gain us nothing.
Its time to end the House of Privilege altogether.

WLDB
No Party Affiliation
+2

Harper tried to avoid it til he had to. I imagine the NDP would probably do the same. It would surprise me if they didn't eventually appoint people if they ever come to power.

I dont see why these Senators are complaining now. The NDP has been in favour of abolition for decades. Senate reform is one of the few issues I agree with Harper on. His idea of reforming it doesnt really go far enough but its better than nothing. Reform or abolish makes no difference to me, but the status quo is unacceptable.

DaSleeper
+2
Quote: Originally Posted by WLDBView Post

Harper tried to avoid it til he had to. I imagine the NDP would probably do the same. It would surprise me if they didn't eventually appoint people if they ever come to power.

I dont see why these Senators are complaining now. The NDP has been in favour of abolition for decades. Senate reform is one of the few issues I agree with Harper on. His idea of reforming it doesnt really go far enough but its better than nothing. Reform or abolish makes no difference to me, but the status quo is unacceptable.

I've always been in favour of an elected senate but not elected based on population, but the same number per province and not elected at the same time as the house, so that the people would have a say if the government du jour is not up to expectations.

tay
+1
I personally am stunned that a Senator , either Con or Liberal, would lash out at the NDP or anyone for suggesting that the old boys/girls club costing Canadians over $100 mill a year should be demolished.

Conservative leader says Braley's resignation not about senate scandal

Leader of the Government in the Senate, Claude Carignan, said Tuesday, that while "every senator has had a bad experience" with the senate scandal involving Conservative party senators Mike Duffy, Patrick Brazeau and Pamela Wallin he didn't think it was part of Hamilton's senator David Braley's decision to resign.

In November, Carignan introduced a motion to punish Duffy, Brazeau and Wallin for “gross negligence” in their handling of expense claims. The three were suspended without pay but with benefits.

A written statement from Braley's office dated Nov. 30 advises that the Governor General has been notified of his resignation effective that date.

The statement does not state a reason for his resignation, but Hamilton mayor Bob Bratina said he understands he wants more time to enjoy his life.

http://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j&...57752919,d.b2I

damngrumpy
No Party Affiliation
+3
I don't think the NDP would appoint members to the Senate they have been
opposed to the Senate since the days of the CCF. Instead if they couldn't
just abolish it they would cut the funding over a period of time to render it
ineffective.

Spade
Free Thinker
Many provincial legislatures had appointed upper chambers. How many remain?

DaSleeper
Quote: Originally Posted by damngrumpyView Post

ineffective.

To do that they would need 7 provinces with at least 50% of the population or a constitutional amendment.... So they can rant and rave all they want and promise the moon.....but like a store that has a sale on select articles while quantities hold but have a only a few in stock.....................??

El Barto
If we were to keep the Senate it should not be appointed by the current government. The members should be voted in and should have no party affiliation what so ever.
Plus their expenses should pre destined before hand for specific needs. No more open ended expense.

lone wolf
Free Thinker
+1
Sounds to me like the rules need to be written in plain language. Eliminates wiggle room.

WLDB
No Party Affiliation

I've always been in favour of an elected senate but not elected based on population, but the same number per province and not elected at the same time as the house, so that the people would have a say if the government du jour is not up to expectations.

So the American version of a senate? That would just shift the inequality. Right now some parts of the country are very over represented in the Senate while others are incredibly under represented. Giving them all the same number of Senators would lead to the same thing but in a different way.

I like the idea of having the Senate elected in a form of proportional representation. Keep most of the power and first past the post for the house of commons and letting the senate represent things a bit more accurately.

No matter which way it goes I doubt it will get any worse than it is now. I could be wrong though some politicians have a special talent for that sort of thing.

To do that they would need 7 provinces with at least 50% of the population or a constitutional amendment.... So they can rant and rave all they want and promise the moon.....but like a store that has a sale on select articles while quantities hold but have a only a few in stock.....................??

You need to go through the same process to get any meaningful reform of the Senate too. Eventually someone is going to have to go for it whether its reform or abolish.

ineffective.

Harper said the same sort of thing before he became PM. When it looked like he wouldnt be able to get things through the Senate because he wasnt replacing Senators he started appointing more. The NDP would have no choice but to do the same if they want to get anything through it. They can ignore it if they want but that doesnt make it go away or take away the power it does have.

Goober
Free Thinker

Hand in Hand with the Liberals- after all they were either one or the other when appointed.
And he was using his freedom of speech-
And the Senate does have a purpose, problem is it has been abused - By Libs and Cons alike.

WLDB
No Party Affiliation
Quote: Originally Posted by El BartoView Post

If we were to keep the Senate it should not be appointed by the current government. The members should be voted in and should have no party affiliation what so ever.

I like the no-party idea. I doubt it'll happen though.

Goober
Free Thinker

ineffective.

Interference with the Constitution- that is what it would result in. In effect deliberate undermining of the Constitution.

mentalfloss
No Party Affiliation
+1
I'm no expert on the senate but what good have they done again?

taxslave
No Party Affiliation
Fortunately for us we will never have to worry about what the dippers will do or not do to the senate.

Goober
Free Thinker
MP formally complains about senator’s ‘misogynistic’ attack - The Globe and Mail

A rookie NDP MP is fighting back after a Conservative senator branded her as whiny, useless and ignorant in a letter that was widely circulated on Parliament Hill.

Charmaine Borg is arguing the missive was “misogynistic” and that MPs must be protected from such personal attacks. On Monday, Ms. Borg complained about the letter from Conservative Senator Jean-Guy Dagenais in the House of Commons, hoping that it will be studied by a parliamentary committee to rule whether her privileges as an MP were breached.