Tory senators blast NDP for advocating Senate abolition

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
Tory senators blast NDP for advocating Senate abolition

Sen. Jean-Guy Dagenais on Friday became the second senator this week to join the fray, directly challenging a New Democrat MP for advocating abolition of the upper house in a flyer sent to her constituents.

In a letter sent to all parliamentarians, Dagenais referred to Charmaine Borg's flyer as "a rag" and suggested she's a whiny, ignorant, powerless Quebec MP who was elected by fluke and stands little chance of being re-elected.

Cullen scoffed at the threat and said the NDP has no intention of backing off its criticism of the Senate. "If they want to have a fight about legitimacy between us and the unelected and under investigation Senate, we welcome it," he said in an interview.​

CBC News - Tory senators blast NDP for advocating Senate abolition

Spade

Ace Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Aether Island
Ahh, the Senate and the Canadian People! Will the Conservatives' legions proudly hold this standard marching into the next election?

Last edited:

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
I know most conservatives on this board are in favour of abolition.

It would save quite a pretty penny.

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister
Dagenais referred to Charmaine Borg's flyer as "a rag" and suggested she's a whiny, ignorant, powerless Quebec MP who was elected by fluke and stands little chance of being re-elected.

Comments like that would almost make me want to tune into CPAC.... Now, if only we could get Jerry Springer to host it

Ahh, the Senate and the Canadian People! Will the Conservatives' legions proudly hold this standard marching into the next election?

It's only the Conservative Senators that are the baddies

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
Senate's long been the reward for patronage - at least until the current chump let in some vocal foes in some silly effort to silence them and wreck the Senate rep.

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,
How many senators are NDP?
You can't count Lillian Dyck, cause the ndp refused her....

If they ever came to power, do you not think they would appoint any senators or are you that much of an ideologue?

Spade

Ace Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Aether Island
How many senators are NDP?
You can't count Lillian Dyck, cause the ndp refused her....

If they ever came to power, do you not think they would appoint any senators or are you that much of an ideologue?

You, dear sleeper, are the ideologue. That calumny doesn't wash with me.

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
It would be nice to wave a magic wand and have the Senate disappear.
Its not that simple and was set up that way. The constitution has some
issues. Unlike most countries we open our constitution and talk about
every issue for a decade at the expense of everything else.
I am with Mulcair on this one let us begin the process and dispense with
the instituion that we spent 92.5 million dollars a year on to gain us nothing.
Its time to end the House of Privilege altogether.

WLDB

Senate Member
Jun 24, 2011
Ottawa

Harper tried to avoid it til he had to. I imagine the NDP would probably do the same. It would surprise me if they didn't eventually appoint people if they ever come to power.

I dont see why these Senators are complaining now. The NDP has been in favour of abolition for decades. Senate reform is one of the few issues I agree with Harper on. His idea of reforming it doesnt really go far enough but its better than nothing. Reform or abolish makes no difference to me, but the status quo is unacceptable.

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,
Harper tried to avoid it til he had to. I imagine the NDP would probably do the same. It would surprise me if they didn't eventually appoint people if they ever come to power.

I dont see why these Senators are complaining now. The NDP has been in favour of abolition for decades. Senate reform is one of the few issues I agree with Harper on. His idea of reforming it doesnt really go far enough but its better than nothing. Reform or abolish makes no difference to me, but the status quo is unacceptable.
I've always been in favour of an elected senate but not elected based on population, but the same number per province and not elected at the same time as the house, so that the people would have a say if the government du jour is not up to expectations.

tay

Hall of Fame Member
May 20, 2012
I personally am stunned that a Senator , either Con or Liberal, would lash out at the NDP or anyone for suggesting that the old boys/girls club costing Canadians over $100 mill a year should be demolished.

Conservative leader says Braley's resignation not about senate scandal

Leader of the Government in the Senate, Claude Carignan, said Tuesday, that while "every senator has had a bad experience" with the senate scandal involving Conservative party senators Mike Duffy, Patrick Brazeau and Pamela Wallin he didn't think it was part of Hamilton's senator David Braley's decision to resign.

In November, Carignan introduced a motion to punish Duffy, Brazeau and Wallin for “gross negligence” in their handling of expense claims. The three were suspended without pay but with benefits.

A written statement from Braley's office dated Nov. 30 advises that the Governor General has been notified of his resignation effective that date.

The statement does not state a reason for his resignation, but Hamilton mayor Bob Bratina said he understands he wants more time to enjoy his life.

http://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j...=Re_YFh7bcvKSRd9GKwGU8w&bvm=bv.57752919,d.b2I

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
I don't think the NDP would appoint members to the Senate they have been
opposed to the Senate since the days of the CCF. Instead if they couldn't
just abolish it they would cut the funding over a period of time to render it
ineffective.