About Mayors and Lawsuits.....

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,
Your thoughts on this....?

Mayor Naheed Nenshi to fight $6M 'Godfather' lawsuit
Calgary home builder Cal Wenzel, right, has filed a defamation lawsuit against Mayor Naheed Nenshi but has yet to serve him with the papers. (CBC)

Mayor Naheed Nenshi says he plans to vigorously defend himself against a defamation lawsuit filed against him.
Cal Wenzel, the founder of Shane Homes, is seeking $6 million in damages for remarks Nenshi made.
Wenzel said the mayor insinuated he broke election laws and runs a mafia-like organization.

More: Mayor Naheed Nenshi to fight $6M 'Godfather' lawsuit - Calgary - CBC News

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister
Nenshi is an idiot and he is totally in the wrong... He opened his mouth in public and slandered a man that has the capacity to launch, and fight, a lawsuit.

.. All it would take to make this go away is for the mayor to apologize, but he's too arrogant and filled with self-aggrandizement that he can't see the forest through the trees

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
Not the Mayor's... Cal Wenzel is a large real estate developer here in Calgary... Nenshi is a former college instructor.

I meant between Nenshi the individual vs the City of Calgary. That would dictate who I'd be naming, and how I'd be phrasing it, in a lawsuit.

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
I meant between Nenshi the individual vs the City of Calgary. That would dictate who I'd be naming, and how I'd be phrasing it, in a lawsuit.

I'm a little confused... Nenshi is the mayor in Cowtown and there is a question if his remarks (as mayor) are to be considered 'his own' or if he was representing the city when he opened his pie-hole.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
I'm a little confused... Nenshi is the mayor in Cowtown and there is a question if his remarks (as mayor) are to be considered 'his own' or if he was representing the city when he opened his pie-hole.

Lol, I know he's the mayor of Calgary. If I were bad mouthed by him and I were looking for a big payday then, given that the city has deeper pockets, I'd be sure to claim in the suit that the Mayor was saying these things.

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
Lol, I know he's the mayor of Calgary. If I were bad mouthed by him and I were looking for a big payday then, given that the city has deeper pockets, I'd be sure to claim in the suit that the Mayor was saying these things.

I get what you're saying.

My take is that it is the mayor that is accountable and not the city... At least it damn well better be... Calgary's mayor wants to make slanderous comments and broadcast it through the media? - great, fill yer boots, but I sure as hell ain't paying for that gaffe

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
I just wanna know where the moral mayor club is in all this, and why they're so silent in all these threads about mayors other than Ford.

BornRuff

Time Out
Nov 17, 2013
I just wanna know where the moral mayor club is in all this, and why they're so silent in all these threads about mayors other than Ford.

Funny you mention it:

Ford sued for $6 million by Boardwalk Pub owner | Toronto Star

We should play a game. Try to find something that another mayor has been accused of that Ford has not also been accused of.

Of course, Ford won that case, and hopefully Nenshi will too. It is a pretty similar case so I can't imagine it would have all that different results.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
Funny you mention it:

Ford sued for $6 million by Boardwalk Pub owner | Toronto Star

We should play a game. Try to find something that another mayor has been accused of that Ford has not also been accused of.

Of course, Ford won that case, and hopefully Nenshi will too. It is a pretty similar case so I can't imagine it would have all that different results.

FFS. Can we at least leave the Ford crap in the Ford crap threads? Not everyone revolves their lives around Toronto or him.

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,