Financial Post: ‘Petro-currency’ limiting Canada’s economic growth

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
‘Petro-currency’ limiting Canada’s economic growth: report

Current federal and provincial policies around oil sands expansion show a “lack of economic foresight that may ultimately limit Canada’s long-term competitiveness,” says a new report made public Wednesday.

The report by The Pembina Institute and Équiterre Centre for Sustainable Development blames the oil sands for pushing up the Canadian dollar — “petro-currency” — which in turn has led to the so-called Dutch Disease that has contributed to the ills of Quebec and Ontario’s manufacturing sectors.

“We are definitely not saying the oil sands need to be shut down,” Sarah Dobson, one of the lead authors of the report, said in an interview. “We are advocating for responsible development of the oil sands that’s going to maximize the value of the resources over time. “

The Pembina report examines the economic merits of the oil sands — leaving environmental impacts aside — and concludes the Canadian dollar’s rise due to energy exports is playing a key role in making central Canada’s manufacturing bases less competitive.

The booming oil sands — fuelled by what the report calls preferential tax treatment — is also making it difficult for companies outside of the resource sector to attract workers, the report notes.

“The high demand for skilled and unskilled labour in Alberta drives up wages on average since 2008, the per capita income differential between Alberta and the rest of Canada has stood at over $12,000. This high wage differential attracts new workers to Alberta, diminishing the labour supply in other provinces.”

‘Petro-currency’ limiting Canada’s economic growth and competitiveness: report | Financial Post

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Why is it booming in SK? Why is manufacturing for export in SK climbing even faster? Why is the SK financial and insurance sector, our biggest economic driver on the rise?

Nope, no oilsands here but growth growth and more growth.

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister
We've been through this already.

'Dutch Disease' is a myth when it comes to the Canadian experience.

Funny article all the same. I'm guessing that the Pembina Institute collects Fed dollars that likely originate from the over taxation from 2 provinces in Canada

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
We've been through this already.

'Dutch Disease' is a myth when it comes to the Canadian experience.

Funny article all the same. I'm guessing that the Pembina Institute collects Fed dollars that likely originate from the over taxation from 2 provinces in Canada
Dude, Pembina has about as much cred as the people who keep posting the nonsense Pembina spews out.

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
Dude, Pembina has about as much cred as the people who keep posting the nonsense Pembina spews out.

No doubt... The big irony in this is; where was Pembina Institute in fore warning the Feds on the potential issues that (currently) face Ontario some years back? Regardless of what sector one wishes to blame, you'd almost think that PI - with their omnipotence and ability to see the future - could have rang the alarm well in advance and provided a solution well in advance.

I truly feel badly for Ontario in that you have been by far the largest contributor to the Fed tax base for decades (for ever possibly?) and the moment that help is needed, it seems that the cupboards are bare

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
I gave at the office.

Get the kids running around with little Ontariocef boxes collecting change. That'll fix it.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
‘Petro-currency’ limiting Canada’s economic growth: report

Current federal and provincial policies around oil sands expansion show a “lack of economic foresight that may ultimately limit Canada’s long-term competitiveness,” says a new report made public Wednesday.

The report by The Pembina Institute and Équiterre Centre for Sustainable Development blames the oil sands for pushing up the Canadian dollar — “petro-currency” — which in turn has led to the so-called Dutch Disease that has contributed to the ills of Quebec and Ontario’s manufacturing sectors.

“We are definitely not saying the oil sands need to be shut down,” Sarah Dobson, one of the lead authors of the report, said in an interview. “We are advocating for responsible development of the oil sands that’s going to maximize the value of the resources over time. “

The Pembina report examines the economic merits of the oil sands — leaving environmental impacts aside — and concludes the Canadian dollar’s rise due to energy exports is playing a key role in making central Canada’s manufacturing bases less competitive.

The booming oil sands — fuelled by what the report calls preferential tax treatment — is also making it difficult for companies outside of the resource sector to attract workers, the report notes.

“The high demand for skilled and unskilled labour in Alberta drives up wages on average since 2008, the per capita income differential between Alberta and the rest of Canada has stood at over $12,000. This high wage differential attracts new workers to Alberta, diminishing the labour supply in other provinces.”

‘Petro-currency’ limiting Canada’s economic growth and competitiveness: report | Financial Post

So apparently they are saying that manufacturing in Ontario requires third world pay scale to remain viable.

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
So apparently they are saying that manufacturing in Ontario requires third world pay scale to remain viable.

You're only 1/2 right there.. PI wants the CAD to be extra low in order to have a competitive advantage, but, will also recommend that wages skyrocket such that the general workforce can actually afford to buy the goods they produce.

Sounds like a real winning formula, don't it?

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
How do you stop financiers from investing in Canadian dollars driving up the value which has zero to do with prairie tulip production?

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
How do you stop financiers from investing in Canadian dollars driving up the value which has zero to do with prairie tulip production?

Don't allow your currency to trade on the markets would be the only way.... Or I suppose that you could tank your economy in an effort to make the CAD so unattractive that no one would touch it to begin with

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
Everyone missed the part where it said they are not preventing oilsands development?

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Even if oilsands were stopped the heavy crude will still flow at the same rate. Canadian oil production isn't a one pony ride.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
Don't allow your currency to trade on the markets would be the only way.... Or I suppose that you could tank your economy in an effort to make the CAD so unattractive that no one would touch it to begin with

So elect a lefty government?

Everyone missed the part where it said they are not preventing oilsands development?

No we caught it. WHat they are saying is they think people that go out to remote places and do a dirty job shouldn't get paid anymore than a government floor sweeper in the city because all the good workers keep leaving.

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
I'm pretty sure what they really mean is that we don't open the tap and unload all our oil to china by the end of the century.

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
I'm pretty sure what they really mean is that we don't open the tap and unload all our oil to china by the end of the century.

PI is basing their 'argument' (for lack of a better word) on the potential of 'Dutch Disease' impacting the Cdn economy... There have been a number of arguments put forward that successfully determine that 'Dutch Disease' was/is not applicable to the Canadian experience.

Pembina Institute is relying on kitschy phrases to attempt to inspire some kind of fear in order to get a little attention... Besides, using flaky terms like 'responsible development' are completely meaningless unless they decide what 'responsible' actually is in terms of actual volumes, measures, dollars, etc.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
Responsible Development is such a neat term. Like sustainable forestry. We got hordes of rich retirees from elsewhere plopped down here and as soon as they buy an overpriced and way too big for their needs house they want a stop to all development. My idea of responsible development is supply is slightly ahead of demand both to keep prices somewhat in check and to provide some options for purchasers.
Much the same bunch complains about logging in their view or where they might take a logging road to a lake. SO they want us to log only as much fiber as is grown, which is as it should be except they are constantly demanding evermore land be removed from the active forest for parks and wilderness areas. Seems hypocritical that people that live in wood framed houses, burn wood for heat and use toilet paper should protest logging.