MPs need to go further to ensure expense scandals don’t happen again: taxpayer watchd

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
MPs need to go further to ensure expense scandals don’t happen again: taxpayer watchdog

Gregory Thomas of the Canadian Taxpayers' Federation was on Parliament Hill Thursday, with a solution to put an end to Ottawa's expense scandals.
Thomas — the Executive Director of the taxpayer watchdog — addressed the Commons Standing Committee on Procedure and House Affairs about improving the financial accountability of our members of parliament.
He offered a laundry list of recommendations:
- Extending the Access to Information Act to cover spending by MPs, Senators and parliamentary admission (currently MPs and Senators are exempt from having to release expense information via ATI requests)
- Extending the authority of the Auditor General to Parliament ( The AG cannot audit Parliament without an 'invitation' and without terms of reference decided upon by MPs)
- Putting all receipts and documentation relating to Parliament Online – receipts, leases, contracts, etc.,
- Allowing recall petitions against MPs and Senators, as in British Columbia,
- Depriving MPs and Senators convicted of a serious crime, where the sentence is federal time, of their pension eligibility.
Those seem like measures that most Canadians would likely embrace.

But will the politicians go for it?
Probably not.
"MPs and Senators don’t want to show us their receipts, because they don’t want the scrutiny," Thomas told Yahoo Canada News in an email exchange on Friday afternoon.
"Former MP Joe Fontana is charged by the RCMP with expensing his son’s wedding reception in 2005. The first anybody heard of it was when a document leaked out from a Golf and Country Club in London, Ontario. Commons administration never said a word, the Commons board of internal economy never told the public what was going on. Seven years went by.
"We need receipts and other documentation for the same reason auditors need to see receipts. We need to see how the money was spent – who spent it, who received, and what valuable goods or services were received in exchange for the money. If you don’t have the proper paper trail, there’s no way of telling whether or not the money was spent properly."

Liberal MPs and senators — to their credit — have started disclosing their expenses online but there's little detail. MP Hedy Fry's proactive disclosure, for example, says that expensed $2,621,60 for airfare between September 26 to October 3 for "other Parliamentary business."
That's it — no receipts and no real reason given for the travel. (Parliament was not in session)
Thomas lauds MPs Elizabeth May and Brent Rathgeber who do post their receipts online.
If you go to Rathgeber's website you'll see an itemized list of expenses: for staff salaries, for housing allowances, for hospitality and travel. And if you click on the dollar amounts, you'll see actual receipts.
"It would sure put an end to expense scandals," Thomas said.
"If Senator Duffy had posted his receipts when he was first appointed in 2009, his housing issues would have been brought to light immediately, addressed immediately, and he’s probably still be in the Senate."
MP Allowances (Courtesy of CBC News)
- MPs who live outside Ottawa get an annual housing allowance of $28,000
- Non-Ottawa MPs also receive a meal per diem of $90/day while Parliament is in session (no receipts required)
- MPs whose ridings are in the national capital region get a daily food allowance of $48/day
- MPs using their cars to get around their respective ridings are entitled to the mileage reimbursement of $0.52/kilometre — no proof of actual use required.
- Each MP gets 64 free round-trip flights a year regardless of cost (ie: First class or business class is okay). 25 of the flights can be used to go anywhere in Canada and four can be used to go to Washington DC or New York.
- Spouses and children are allowed to share in some of those flights — no questions asked.
- Each MP is allocated $10,000/year for "hospitality" expenses with little oversight.

Yahoo News Canada - Latest News & Headlines

Post there expenses online. Good idea. Now how do we make it happen?

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
If politicians think it might be a major election issue they will trip over each other to be first to post relevant information, If they think the noise will die down like usual there will be no change.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
If politicians think it might be a major election issue they will trip over each other to be first to post relevant information, If they think the noise will die down like usual there will be no change.

Well then it's up to us to make sure the noise doesn't die down.

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
Before we all go ranting about their expenses we should ensure an agreed acceptable
amount is established. Oh I know there is an established amount but is it reasonable?
Yes expenses receipts should be available and up to date when requested but I don't
see the need to post them at the end of every day as it were. The reason is there are
more important things to do and it is an added expense. If something appears a miss
demand receipts.
Yes we must get to the bottom of the truth in the Senate case before us. We don't want
it to go away until all the facts are known.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving

You can quote me on this- The documents from and that are requested by the RCMP, along with leaks from within the Govt will slowly come out.
Harper has created a substantial number of enemies.
It will be death by leak.
I mentioned in the Spring that Harper would retire- In my opinion it will happen no later than the spring.
And again my opinion- Only Mr. Prentice has the leadership to take the party forwards.
Harper has left a bad taste in Canadians mouths by the way the Senate scandals were handled.
His comment- i do nor=t care will resonate with Canadians.

Now Prentice - he will make mincemeat of Mulcair and well Mr. Hairdoo is only capable when he has the Liberal Movers - Puppeteers telling him what to say.
Events or when he speaks off the cuff have already defined him as an idiot and not having the ability to Govern.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
MPs need to go further to ensure expense scandals don’t happen again: taxpayer watchdog

Yahoo News Canada - Latest News & Headlines

Post there expenses online. Good idea. Now how do we make it happen?

Yeah, maybe if they "F............ed off" to Zaire for awhile people would forget about them. -:)

Before we all go ranting about their expenses we should ensure an agreed acceptable
amount is established. Oh I know there is an established amount but is it reasonable?
Yes expenses receipts should be available and up to date when requested but I don't
see the need to post them at the end of every day as it were. The reason is there are
more important things to do and it is an added expense. If something appears a miss
demand receipts.
Yes we must get to the bottom of the truth in the Senate case before us. We don't want
it to go away until all the facts are known.

Yeah, maybe allow them $50 a day without further scrutiny. -:)

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.

Short of armed rebellion, blood in the streets, and pitchforks, our options are limited. Always will be since we agreed to this form of dictatorship.

But, we're welcome to send "e.mails"..................:roll:

Or we can vote for the shiny pony.

You can quote me on this- The documents from and that are requested by the RCMP, along with leaks from within the Govt will slowly come out.
Harper has created a substantial number of enemies.
It will be death by leak.
I mentioned in the Spring that Harper would retire- In my opinion it will happen no later than the spring.
And again my opinion- Only Mr. Prentice has the leadership to take the party forwards.
Harper has left a bad taste in Canadians mouths by the way the Senate scandals were handled.
His comment- i do nor=t care will resonate with Canadians.

Now Prentice - he will make mincemeat of Mulcair and well Mr. Hairdoo is only capable when he has the Liberal Movers - Puppeteers telling him what to say.
Events or when he speaks off the cuff have already defined him as an idiot and not having the ability to Govern.

He was asked a simple question about China, and managed to get himself embroiled in a world of crap in less than 25 words. Spent the rest of his speaking time explaining what he had "not really meant". It's all too wonderful a gift for Harper.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
How about Harper just keep his promises.

Great. How do we make him do that? Vote someone else in and then end up in a SSDD situation again?

Short of armed rebellion, blood in the streets, and pitchforks, our options are limited. Always will be since we agreed to this form of dictatorship.

But, we're welcome to send "e.mails"..................:roll:

Can't win, don't try? Good point, much better to sit around bitching and moaning but not doing anything about it.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
You're relatively innocuous.

Why don't you just spill it? You clearly have some kind of specific dislike for me, one that I've never picked up on before. But by all means, don't hold back.

Or is this snipping simply because I chastised you for your apathy and negativity.

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.
Why don't you just spill it? You clearly have some kind of specific dislike for me, one that I've never picked up on before. But by all means, don't hold back.

Or is this snipping simply because I chastised you for your apathy and negativity.

Nope. Just finding this here place horrendously boring and stupid, what with the yes no yes no yes no, and so, having thought on it for at least, oh, bout a week, have decided to bugger off.

Good luck with your changing of the dictato........er.........government.