Harper says he's fighting elites in convention speech

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
Stephen Harper used what could be his last convention speech before an election to assure grassroots Conservatives that he’s still an outsider fighting elites in Ottawa despite more than seven years in power and a turbulent Senate expenses scandal.

In a 3,900-word address to thousands of rank-and-file Tories at the Calgary gathering, the Prime Minister painted himself as the only federal politician that can be trusted to fight for ordinary Canadians, building on his party’s sense of itself as interlopers in the nation’s capital.

“We didn’t go to Ottawa to join private clubs or become part of some elite,” said Mr. Harper, whose party has been stung by accusations that Tory Senate appointees padded their expense claims.

“Ours is not the party of entitlement, not guided by power or privilege … and we never should be.”

Harper assures grassroots Conservatives he’s outsider fighting elites - The Globe and Mail

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Stephen Harper used what could be his last convention speech before an election to assure grassroots Conservatives that he’s still an outsider fighting elites in Ottawa despite more than seven years in power and a turbulent Senate expenses scandal.

In a 3,900-word address to thousands of rank-and-file Tories at the Calgary gathering, the Prime Minister painted himself as the only federal politician that can be trusted to fight for ordinary Canadians, building on his party’s sense of itself as interlopers in the nation’s capital.

“We didn’t go to Ottawa to join private clubs or become part of some elite,” said Mr. Harper, whose party has been stung by accusations that Tory Senate appointees padded their expense claims.

“Ours is not the party of entitlement, not guided by power or privilege … and we never should be.”

Harper assures grassroots Conservatives he’s outsider fighting elites - The Globe and Mail

Well, from what I can gather from C.B.C. news this morning Harper is doing the right thing...........he's adamant about getting the three senators OFF the payroll..................can't see why anyone would argue with that.

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,
Well, from what I can gather from C.B.C. news this morning Harper is doing the right thing...........he's adamant about getting the three senators OFF the payroll..................can't see why anyone would argue with that.
To the rabid Anti-Harpers....He's damned if he don't and double damned if he does...the right thing

And trou d'eau can do no wrong;-)

relic

Council Member
Nov 29, 2009
Nova Scotia
Why is everyone so fixated on the senators ? That was the start but it's a much larger thing now. steve wants you to fixate on the evil senators so you won't notice all the bs dripping off his chin. If you believe steve and his talking heads you are either a con zealot, not paying attention, stupid or all of the above.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Why is everyone so fixated on the senators ? That was the start but it's a much larger thing now. steve wants you to fixate on the evil senators so you won't notice all the bs dripping off his chin. If you believe steve and his talking heads you are either a con zealot, not paying attention, stupid or all of the above.

I'm aware that the Senators isn't the biggest problem but still a really sick patient feels much better when a carbuncle is removed from his A$$.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island

If you are trying to make this out to be a bad thing you failed miserably.
There is a bureaucratic culture or perhaps ruling class that has overtaken Ottawa and they span political lines but their common denominator is that they do not represent Joe and Jane Lunchbucket.

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.

More like cancer of the large intestine fighting a n a l cancer.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
I'm aware that the Senators isn't the biggest problem but still a really sick patient feels much better when a carbuncle is removed from his A$$.

I guess I was remiss in not saying three carbuncles! -:)

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
Harper the outsider now that I have had a chuckle time to tackle the issue.
When you name it the Harper Government and not the Canadian Government
you are not an outsider.
This is not about the Senate directly its about honesty and the lack of it.
Yes some Senators behaved badly but even now we're not sure which ones.
Duffy had his expenses reviewed and was told everything is fine. The real
problem came when it was discovered they may offend some in the Tolry Party.
According to original accounts some say he was four hundred dollars out,
That would allow for the word mistake to be used. No I am not in Duffy's corner
can't stand the guy even when he was a news guy but we have to come to
grips with the issue here.
How long has this stuff been going on long before these three entered the halls of
the Senate? No one wants us to question that. What happened in the Office that
day? Don't want us asking that.
As for suspending for firing people? There is a process and that has to be followed.
Until we have the answers to the many questions that have been or are about to be
asked no one should go anywhere whether we like them or not.
What if anyone of us happened to work in a large office and three people did something
wrong or was accused of doing wrong. The shareholder cry out fire them all and that is
what happens. How would you like to be fired simply because you worked in that office?
The process has to be followed, fairness has to be considered and logic not emotion
has to determine the actions to be taken. To do otherwise is to invite the potential for
anarchy in terms of law. The law, the constitution and the perception of the public all
play a role in governance its called law and order and justice. And this from someone
who believes we should follow the process and dissolve the Senate.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
you are not an outsider.
How long has this stuff been going on long before these three entered the halls of
As for suspending for firing people? There is a process and that has to be followed.
Until we have the answers to the many questions that have been or are about to be
What if anyone of us happened to work in a large office and three people did something
wrong or was accused of doing wrong. The shareholder cry out fire them all and that is
what happens. How would you like to be fired simply because you worked in that office?
The process has to be followed, fairness has to be considered and logic not emotion
has to determine the actions to be taken. To do otherwise is to invite the potential for
anarchy in terms of law. The law, the constitution and the perception of the public all
play a role in governance its called law and order and justice. And this from someone

In a business you would be fired instantly for theft on the scale Duffy &co pulled off. Probably in civil and possibly even criminal court as well. If any of them should be found innocent they would have cause for a civil case to get reinstated or paid out.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
But trudeau has such nice hair... Doesn't that count for anything?

Just with his hair dresser! -:)

In a business you would be fired instantly for theft on the scale Duffy &co pulled off. Probably in civil and possibly even criminal court as well. If any of them should be found innocent they would have cause for a civil case to get reinstated or paid out.

Just common thieves!

The entire Senate Organization is rotten from the bottom up! Just comparing the # of senators between P.E.I. and British Columbia makes that abundantly clear. Then you have Pammy running up $1/2 million in expenses in three years. You have Duffy boy who apparently doesn't even know where the Hell he lives! This outfit should be in Hollywood, we sure as hell can't afford them.

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
you are not an outsider.

Nah, I don't quite agree with that. Good people suffer every day because of restructuring. There is a good excuse for restructuring, the way it is simply is not affordable. I think it could even be done democratically, put it to a referendum. I'd bet a referendum would pay for itself within a year. I'd bet if Harper did it, it would ensure his re election next time.

Former Art Gallery of Calgary CEO jailed a year for $100,000 fraud

It wouldn't break my heart if there were a few Senators that she could share the time with

Using that ratio Pammy should be good for 5 years of durance vile! -:)