PM has spun such a web of deceit he should resign or be dismissed

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
Unless it is OK for the prime minister to lie repeatedly and openly on an important matter, Stephen Harper must resign or be dismissed.

On Monday, Harper told a Halifax radio audience he “dismissed” former chief of staff Nigel Wright over the mysterious $90,000 cheque to Sen. Mike Duffy. But last Thursday, he told the House of Commons Wright “resigned.” So one or the other was a brazen, in-your-face lie.

When pressed in Tuesday’s question period he haughtily declared, “Mr. Speaker, the facts are very clear. Mr. Wright acted inappropriately, and for that reason, I very clearly explained to him that he no longer worked for me.” If so, Harper lied to parliament five days earlier.

What is especially galling is it’s all a matter of record. He wasn’t lying to fool his supporters but to implicate them in the deception, to force them to put loyalty ahead of truth. Including defending that standard PMO whopper “the facts are very clear” when in this disgraceful business, by design, no facts are clear.

more

House of the whopper: PM has spun such a web of deceit he should resign or be dismissed | Columnists | Opinion | Calgary Sun

tay

Hall of Fame Member
May 20, 2012
So this is how it ends?

Even the right wing media from his hometown/province think he's out of control on this subject or is everything these losers have done (replacement workers, crappy treatment of the military, etc.,) even too much for their readers..............

As Harper said of Paul Martin over the sponsorship scandal, either he knew and was guilty or did not and was incompetent. But Harper also lies constantly, including telling the House on Tuesday it was “regular practice” to cover legal expenses, like Duffy’s, while calling Duffy’s actions “shocking and unacceptable.” At least I hope that too was a lie.
As Tories gather in Calgary they should ask themselves, if they are to not become the problem they set out to solve, how they would feel if this web of deceit were spun by a Prime Minister Chretien or Mulcair or Trudeau Jr. And why, if they do not dismiss their chief, Canadians should not dismiss them.

I bet he never saw this coming.

House of the whopper: PM has spun such a web of deceit he should resign or be dismissed | Columnists | Opinion | Edmonton Sun

Retired_Can_Soldier

The End of the Dog is Coming!
Mar 19, 2006
Alberta
So this is how it ends?

Even the right wing media from his hometown/province think he's out of control on this subject or is everything these losers have done (replacement workers, crappy treatment of the military, etc.,) even too much for their readers..............

As Harper said of Paul Martin over the sponsorship scandal, either he knew and was guilty or did not and was incompetent. But Harper also lies constantly, including telling the House on Tuesday it was “regular practice” to cover legal expenses, like Duffy’s, while calling Duffy’s actions “shocking and unacceptable.” At least I hope that too was a lie.
As Tories gather in Calgary they should ask themselves, if they are to not become the problem they set out to solve, how they would feel if this web of deceit were spun by a Prime Minister Chretien or Mulcair or Trudeau Jr. And why, if they do not dismiss their chief, Canadians should not dismiss them.

I bet he never saw this coming.

House of the whopper: PM has spun such a web of deceit he should resign or be dismissed | Columnists | Opinion | Edmonton Sun

1. This isn't even close to Adscam.
2. Harper will survive this.
3. Who would be an alternative to the serving government. Mulchair? The Air Apparent?

As a final thought. I would contend that Martin was Chretien's fall guy.

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister
You're such an optimist.

It is the sad reality here.

One of the better 'embellishments of the truth' by a Canadian politician was when former NDP Leader Jack Layton was caught in a police raid of a rub 'n tug in Toronto.

He insisted that he was there only for necessary back massages needed due to his former athletic lifestyle and never knew that this establishment (located in the red light district) was an house of ill repute.

He was even expensing his 'visits' to the place.

Regardless, he was able to say all of this with a straight face

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
It is the sad reality here.

One of the better 'embellishments of the truth' by a Canadian politician was when former NDP Leader Jack Layton was caught in a police raid of a rub 'n tug in Toronto.

He insisted that he was there only for necessary back massages needed due to his former athletic lifestyle and never knew that this establishment (located in the red light district) was an house of ill repute.

He was even expensing his 'visits' to the place.

Regardless, he was able to say all of this with a straight face

"Rick! I'm shocked, shocked to find gambling going on in your place!"
--Louie the Chef des Gendarmes, Casablanca

Retired_Can_Soldier

The End of the Dog is Coming!
Mar 19, 2006
Alberta
The sad thing is, if we Westerners overthrew our governments there's be a bunch of zealots from all sides waiting in the wings to save us.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
1. This isn't even close to Adscam.
2. Harper will survive this.
3. Who would be an alternative to the serving government. Mulchair? The Air Apparent?

As a final thought. I would contend that Martin was Chretien's fall guy.

True, Adscam pales when you add up the monies year after year that are unaccounted for.
Commons Budget- 2012 - 441 Million
Senate - 105 Million-
So approx 546 Million in 2012.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
I really thought Harper would know better than to let Trudeau be the 'better choice'. I figured, he'll just remain the steadfast, plod along PM, and he'll let Trudeau hang himself with his highschool style popularity campaign.

But no. Apparently not. Apparently, he's going to take a shot at handing everything over to him on a silver platter.

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
Karrie - it's a shame that Rae stepped down or that Garneau didn't get the job.

Justin just reads the script and doesn't really press on issues.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
Harper will survive this. The media does not have a long enough attention span to carry this through. It is nice to see his feet being held to the fire though.

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
Harper runs the risk of splitting the party if Canadians hold to their view.
Most believe he lied, Yes it is as big as adscam. Not in the scope of the
financial dealings but in the ethical and moral context. Harper came to
power saying he would put an end to this kind of deceitful actions.
He didn't instead he worked quietly to make the bad situation one that
might not be tenable in the long term. Its one thing to be short with the
truth in a moving set of events. Its another to flat out promise to end a
long deceitful practice then allegedly practice deceit. He should resign.
Let someone else in the Party take over until the next election.
I don't think he will win another term anyway. Canadians are getting
ready to change their minds again like they always do.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
Karrie - it's a shame that Rae stepped down or that Garneau didn't get the job.

Justin just reads the script and doesn't really press on issues.

But he does have great hair.
Mulcair is carrying Trudeau's water on the Senate scandals and the Hair Ball gets the credit.

Jonny_C

Electoral Member
Apr 25, 2013
North Bay, ON
This isn't anywhere close to Adscam.

Adscam was a duplicitous waste of many millions of dollars of taxpayers' money. The Duffy Affair represents the waste of $100K of Conservative Party money.

Duffy has been outed as a crook. The rest is just political damage control.

Is anyone really naive enough to believe that political parties are all that different when it comes to their backroom machinations?

Harper's promise to do things differently was a political promise. We know what those are worth.

Trudeau won an election being opposed to wage and price controls. After the election, he imposed them.

Chretien said he would axe the GST. After the election he kept it.

Maybe you have to be old enough and cynical enough to understand that some things just don't change.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
At the next election the people that matter will decide if Harper should be dismissed or not. That is of course if he should run again.