Canada plans to mark 100th anniversary of First World War

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
OTTAWA — Canada will be part of an international effort planning the commemoration of the 100th anniversary of the First World War.
The anniversary - which begins in 2014 - will be marked with events in several of the countries most affected by the war.

Last week, Veterans Affairs Minister Julian Fantino joined counterparts from 22 other countries for an international ministerial seminar about the commemorations.

"The 100th anniversary of the First World War represents a unique opportunity for Canadians to reflect on our country's long and proud military history," Fantino said in a statement.

Commemorations will begin next year with a Bastille Day military parade in France, in which Canada will participate. In 2015, a ceremony in Turkey will mark the 100th anniversary of the Battle of Gallipoli, in which the Newfoundland Regiment - Newfoundlanders then, not yet Canadians - played a major role holding the Turkish Army at bay, and was almost wiped out.

One of the bloodiest battles in all of history — the Battle of the Somme — will be commemorated in 2016, along with the Battles of Beaumont-Hamel and Vimy Ridge.

Last March, Canada signed a declaration with France, agreeing to cooperate on commemorating Canadian and French participation in certain 20th-century conflicts.

From 2014 to 2020, both countries will mark key historic military milestones that affected Canada and France, from the First and Second World Wars.

"We are dedicated to ensuring that the sacrifices and contributions of veterans are never forgotten," Fantino said in a statement.

Sun News : Canada plans to mark 100th anniversary of First World War

tober

Time Out
Aug 6, 2013
Good. The Brits tried at first to put Canadians into Brit units but Canada said no. The Canadian Corps fought as national units throughout the war and were instrumental in bringing about many innovations, such as sound ranging to locate enemy artillery. Wiki says:

The Battle of Vimy Ridge was the first occasion when all four divisions of the CEF participated in a battle as a cohesive formation. France ceded to Canada perpetual use of a portion of land on Vimy Ridge under the understanding that Canada use the land to establish a battlefield park and memorial. Wartime tunnels, trenches, craters and unexploded munitions still honeycomb the grounds of the site, which remains largely closed off for reasons of public safety. Along with preserved trench lines, there are a number of other memorials and cemeteries contained within the site.
It has been said that Canada came of age as a nation at Vimy Ridge.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
Good. The Brits tried at first to put Canadians into Brit units but Canada said no. The Canadian Corps fought as national units throughout the war and were instrumental in bringing about many innovations, such as sound ranging to locate enemy artillery. Wiki says:

The Battle of Vimy Ridge was the first occasion when all four divisions of the CEF participated in a battle as a cohesive formation. France ceded to Canada perpetual use of a portion of land on Vimy Ridge under the understanding that Canada use the land to establish a battlefield park and memorial. Wartime tunnels, trenches, craters and unexploded munitions still honeycomb the grounds of the site, which remains largely closed off for reasons of public safety. Along with preserved trench lines, there are a number of other memorials and cemeteries contained within the site.
It has been said that Canada came of age as a nation at Vimy Ridge.

A good deal you say. A few acres of ruined land for a memorial celebrating usless stupid sacrifice for the gold masters. Nothing changes, you would send us over there again for the same rotten lies. Canada will come of age as a nation when and if it becomes a nation free of central bankers, until then it's a bunch of silly happy slaves.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
I'm older than most on these forums. I remember when we had thousands of ww1 vets marching on remembrance day. There are no more ww1 vets and there are only a handful of ww2 vets left. I did serve with our military but I wasn't a vet of either war. I think our soldiers should be remembered.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
I hope somebody points out that one death is not worth a WW.

Deaths happen in wars. It's normal.

And soldiers putting their lives at risk for their country is part of their job.