One of Pierre Trudeau’s finer moments

WLDB

Senate Member
Jun 24, 2011
Ottawa
Yep. Can you imagine a PM spontaneously taking five minutes to have a debate with a reporter today? Agree with him or not I like the fact that he was willing to do it. Most politicians in general are coy and avoid answering questions. He didnt care, he'd tell you what he thought. Mulroney was like that too to a lesser degree.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
I miss his intelligence, and his humour. He didn't suffer fools gladly. I was surprised he put up with that dopey reporter as long as he did.

Zipperfish

House Member
Apr 12, 2013
Vancouver
Yep. Can you imagine a PM spontaneously taking five minutes to have a debate with a reporter today? Agree with him or not I like the fact that he was willing to do it. Most politicians in general are coy and avoid answering questions. He didnt care, he'd tell you what he thought. Mulroney was like that too to a lesser degree.

Those days are gone. Tehre's probably 10,000 people working in "Communications" at very levels of government whose sole job it is to make sure that Canadians don't find out what their elected officials are up to. :lol:

Cobalt_Kid

Council Member
Feb 3, 2007
That's what a PM is supposed to be, a leader that stands up for his actions and plans in the full light of day, not hide behind bureaucratic cutouts and media screens.

Forget seeing Harper or any conservative minister go face to face with reporters in a honest conversation, we get pure spin now, I miss the days of a real leader. And I would have been just as happy or even more so with Stanfield as PM, he had even more integrity than Trudeau.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
That's what a PM is supposed to be, a leader that stands up for his actions and plans in the full light of day, not hide behind bureaucratic cutouts and media screens.

Forget seeing Harper or any conservative minister go face to face with reporters in a honest conversation, we get pure spin now, I miss the days of a real leader. And I would have been just as happy or even more so with Stanfield as PM, he had even more integrity than Trudeau.

Trudeau fukked over all of Canada just to buy a few votes in Quebec. Not what I would call integrity. To be fair he never denied doing it.

Cobalt_Kid

Council Member
Feb 3, 2007
Trudeau fukked over all of Canada just to buy a few votes in Quebec. Not what I would call integrity. To be fair he never denied doing it.

With what, his energy policy?

We have Charter Rights thanks to him, whatever his faults Trudeau helped forge a unique Canadian identity whereas the conservatives seem to consistently want to mold us into a mini US.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
With what, his energy policy?

We have Charter Rights thanks to him, whatever his faults Trudeau helped forge a unique Canadian identity whereas the conservatives seem to consistently want to mold us into a mini US.

Energy policy, Bilingualism, a flawed charter, multiculturalism. All flawed and decisive.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
The man was scum.

He declared martial law and had hundreds of people jailed without charge or trial.....because of two kidnappings.

And Canadians salivate at his name.

It is enough to make one ill.

Cobalt_Kid

Council Member
Feb 3, 2007
The man was scum.

He declared martial law and had hundreds of people jailed without charge or trial.....because of two kidnappings.

Pleas, don't hold back at all.:)

It was a scary time, maybe he overreacted, but recently we've had people being held for long periods without legal recourse and even left to very harsh treatment by other nations such as Omar Khadr.

Energy policy, Bilingualism, a flawed charter, multiculturalism. All flawed and decisive.

Divisive? I suck at spelling too.

Unfortunately we live in a nation with a major fault-line running down the middle of it due to history going back centuries. Trudeau could very arrogant but I also think he honestly tried to be the best democratic leader he could, I think we have the opposite now.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
Pleas, don't hold back at all.:)

It was a scary time, maybe he overreacted, but recently we've had people being held for long periods without legal recourse and even left to very harsh treatment by other nations such as Omar Khadr.

Divisive? I suck at spelling too.

Unfortunately we live in a nation with a major fault-line running down the middle of it due to history going back centuries. Trudeau could very arrogant but I also think he honestly tried to be the best democratic leader he could, I think we have the opposite now.

He tried very hard to do what he thought was best for Quebec. WHich he never denied. The rest of Canada got the finger.

Cobalt_Kid

Council Member
Feb 3, 2007
Seems like it was more than just two kidnappings too.

October Crisis - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

From 1963 to 1970 the Quebec nationalist group Front de libération du Québec had detonated over 95 bombs.[6] While mailboxes—particularly in the affluent and predominantly Anglophone city of Westmount—were common targets, the largest single bombing was of the Montreal Stock Exchange on February 13, 1969, which caused extensive damage and injured 27 people. Other targets included Montreal City Hall, Royal Canadian Mounted Police recruitment offices, railway tracks, and army installations. FLQ members, in a strategic move, had stolen several tons of dynamite from military and industrial sites, and, financed by bank robberies, they threatened through their official communication organ, known as La Cognée, that more attacks were to come.

By 1970, 23 members of the FLQ were in prison, including four members convicted of murder. On February 26, 1970, two men in a panel truck – including Jacques Lanctôt– were arrested in Montreal when they were discovered with a sawed-off shotgun and a communique announcing the kidnapping of the Israeli consul. In June, police raided a home in the small community of Prévost, north of Montreal in the Laurentian Mountains, and found firearms, ammunition, 300 pounds (140 kg) of dynamite, detonators, and the draft of a ransom note to be used in the kidnapping of the United States consul.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
The man was scum.

For God's sake!

A cabinet minister and a foreign diplomat had being kidnapped. A Quebec cabinet minister was murdered. What the hell should he have done? I think he did exactly the right thing.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
For God's sake!

A cabinet minister and a foreign diplomat had being kidnapped. A Quebec cabinet minister was murdered. What the hell should he have done? I think he did exactly the right thing.

The Quebec cabinet minister was murdered as a response to martial law. The murder was a direct result of Trudeau invoking the War Measures Act.

To his credit, he was shaken when the body was found......he knew he had inspired the murder.

I will not lay blame for it at his feet, as I make no excuses for terrorists.

Then he let the kidnappers slip away to Cuba.

Yep. Tough guy. While innocents lounged in Canadian jails.

And that doesn't even touch on the rest of his sins..............and there are many.

Why do you think I have voted for almost every federal political party except the Liberals????

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
The man was scum.

I'm not sure that he was scum, just had an ego the size of an elephant and of course conceit was written all over him and the rest of us were basically uneducated peons. "A$$hole" is probably more appropriate than "scum".

Last edited: