How would...... have acted if Harper had not been elected PM

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
If Harper had not been elected PM, how would the present Federal leaders have acted over the past number of years.
Laws passed, taxes, business investments, social safety net, environment, Oil sands development.
From the time of surplus to the financial crisis - to spending cuts.
Oh yes- 1 last one- Who would have had more corruption allegations

Last edited:

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
My guess is they would have done essentially the same thing, what they were advised by the international community to do. Maybe you still think we are an independent country. I don't, that ended with the bankers deal.

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister
If Harper had not been elected PM, how would the present Federal leaders have acted over the past number of years.
Laws passed, taxes, business investments, social safety net, environment, Oil sands development.

Nothing done different, albeit, all of the alternative leaders/parties are spineless buffoons

relic

Council Member
Nov 29, 2009
Nova Scotia
I believe that {A} and {B} would likely have been pretty much the same,as for {C}, nobody holds a candel to steve and his band of merry slimeballs for dishonesty. Anybody doesn't agree either didn't listen to many of them talk,or has their head up their ***.
All politicians stretch the truth, but this is the bunch that actually lies.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
Time for a history lesson.

Next Note- How did Canada end up in the shxt section of Afghanistan, look to The Dithering Martin for that fiasco.

A lot less soldiers to bury if Harper was not the PM
Chrétien government rejected military's advice on Afghan deployment: ex-army chief - Canada - CBC News

The former Liberal government led by Jean Chrétien rejected the advice of military commanders by deciding in early2003 to send 2,000 troops to Afghanistan, CBC News has learned.

In the aftermath of the Sept. 11 attacks, Canada had sent several hundred soldiers to assist U.S. troops in tracking down al-Qaeda militants in Afghanistan. When that mission ended, senior military officers recommended that Canada send only 500 soldiers in a very limited role — but Ottawa chose instead to deploy 2,000 troops.

The commander of the army at the time, Lt.-Gen. Mike Jeffrey, said he told the chief of defence staff that his forces weren't ready for a significant mission overseas.

"We did not have strategic lift,My Note - Substantial number of Soldiers killed as we had no lift capabaility- Whle other NATO countries supplied by air- we went by road.End of note.[/COLOR]
we lacked certain strategic enablers, certain types of intelligence, certain types of communications," Jeffrey told CBC senior correspondent Brian Stewart. "Our logistics capability was weak."

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Oh yes- 1 last one- Who would have had more corruption allegations

They are all "tarred with the same brush", Goober, do what's popular and ensures their political longevity and a healthy personal bank account. Doesn't make much difference who's in, things would unfold pretty much the same. -:)

WLDB

Senate Member
Jun 24, 2011
Ottawa
Trudeau would not be the liberal leader. What Ignatieff would do? Who knows, maybe he outlines that in his new book, probably not though. As for Mulcair - probably next to nothing that his predecessor would have done. As to for what would be going on, who would have won? Liberals? NDP? Minority or majority? Its almost impossible to really guess on what would be done without knowing exactly who won and by how much.

They are all "tarred with the same brush", Goober, do what's popular and ensures their political longevity and a healthy personal bank account. Doesn't make much difference who's in, things would unfold pretty much the same. -:)

I somehow suspect same sex marriage wouldnt have passed if the Conservatives had been in power instead of the Liberals. I also suspect we would have gone to Iraq if the Conservatives had been in power 2003. Stephen Harper was very much in favour of doing so. Those are some pretty big differences. If Joe Clark had beat Trudeau in 1980 its almost a guarantee the constitution would not have been repatriated and the charter of rights and freedoms definitely would not exist in its present form if at all. If Turner had won in 88 - no Free Trade agreement assuming he kept his word. On some things it might not matter who is in power - on other things it makes a huge difference.