Rape on campus – is it an epidemic?

Sons of Liberty

Walks on Water
Aug 24, 2010
Evil Empire
Last week’s outbreak of raunchy frosh-week chants at two of Canada’s leading universities – one on each coast – made national headlines. Television reporters covered the events with the sorrowful solemnity normally reserved for crimes against children. News anchors and politicians called the incidents, which seemed to endorse sex with underage girls, “shocking” and “disgraceful.”

According to many students, the problems go deep. “On our campuses, there is a culture of rape, of non-consent,” a female student at the University of British Columbia told Global TV. “It’s just a manifestation of rape culture,” Lewis Rendell, who sits on the board of the Saint Mary’s University Women’s Centre, told the student newspaper at her Halifax school.

University administrators were shocked, as well. UBC’s business school immediately withdrew its funding for frosh week. Saint Mary’s will ensure that all the student leaders involved (including a number of women) receive sensitivity training. The president has appointed a task force that will recommend measures to “foster a cultural change that prevents sexual violence.”

So, how much sexual violence is there? It’s an epidemic, we’re told. According to many students – and also some professors – “rape culture” is pervasive on campuses across North America. Even elite universities are not exempt.

Yale is still recovering from an incident in 2010 when a group of frat boys and their pledges marched on the women’s freshman dorms one night and chanted, “No means Yes, Yes means ****!” Yale promptly slapped a five-year ban on the fraternity, but the incident prompted a federal investigation for civil-rights violations. To settle the case, the university has added a raft of extra procedures to combat sexual violence and harassment. But not everyone is happy.

“I refuse to remain silent any more about what should be called an epidemic,” Yale graduate Alexandra Brodsky wrote in the Guardian, describing how she was sexually assaulted during her freshman year and told to keep quiet about it.

According to statistics commonly cited by campus sexual-assault centres, no fewer than one in five women will be the victim of rape or attempted rape by graduation. At UBC, which has about 27,000 female students, that would amount to 5,400 women – well over 1,000 per year, if distributed over four years of schooling.

Of course, rape and assault are underreported. But such an astronomical number of serious unreported sex crimes would require a near-universal conspiracy of silence. It would mean that university campuses are uniquely dangerous places – far more dangerous than Canada’s most crime-ridden inner cities.

This would mean that what’s happening on campus is completely different from what’s happening in society at large, where, according to the most reliable data, the overall rape rate has been in sharp decline. Statistics from the U.S. Bureau of Justice National Crime Victimization Survey – these are based on individual interviews, not police reports – have put the yearly rape rate at 50 per 100,000 people.

Canadian universities don’t publish rape statistics. But American ones do. So I looked up my old alma mater, the University of Michigan, which had 20,088 female students in 2010. That year, it reported 14 forcible rapes – a rate not out of line with the crime victimization survey.

But don’t expect the notion of “rape culture” to die down any time soon. Too many people have too much invested in it. Every campus has at least one sexual-assault centre, as well as a hefty apparatus to deal with violence, harassment, discrimination and all the rest. And every administration has a reputation to protect. Which means that any incident, however slight and overblown, invariably results in official promises of investigations, task forces, sensitivity education and new, improved policies. And who can blame them? As Colin Dodds, the president of Saint Mary’s, told this paper, his job right now is to “get that brand back.”

As for dirty-mouthed undergraduates behaving badly – it was ever thus. Are they obnoxious? Yes. Are they a sign of widespread moral rot? I doubt it.

Rape on campus – is it an epidemic? - The Globe and Mail

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
epidemic would imply that it is unique in human history. It's not.

School and university bring the opposite sex together at a time where they are learning to assert their dominance, attempting to attract their preferred sex, learn who they are, and they are doing that all while mixing in mind altering chemicals.

It is a recipe for people not hearing the word 'no'.

Add in our current social clime of **** shaming, and it is also a recipe for false reports. Add the two together, and you get a massive bucketload of BAD, plain and simple.

The truly tragic part is that people tackle it with a 'one or the other' attitude. Like either rape is happening, or false reports are happening, not both. Even this article tries to cast doubt that rape in university is really a problem, by adding in the false accusation angle. Edmonton was a prime example of the fight. A brilliant ad campaign 'Don't be that guy', made waves when it came out. It was aimed as an education campaign, put mainly in bars, and addressed the issue of severe intoxication negating any perceived consent. It was brilliant. But, needless to say, some people took exception, and altered the posters. So instead of a message like 'too drunk to say no, doesn't mean yes.... don't be that guy', they now read things like 'regretting it the next morning, doesn't make it rape... don't be that girl.'

Whether rape is an issue in universities or not is not a debate to be won, it's not a fight between two sides.

Rape is an issue, especially date rape, in the school atmosphere.

Angstrom

Hall of Fame Member
May 8, 2011
Canadian men just won't take no for an answer.

To many butt hurt Americans around this forum these days.
:lol:

May as well troll Canadian sites while waiting in line for aCanadian visa to get a job.

Last edited:

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
First of all the fraternity was way out of line. The university officials responded
with equal disregard for knowledge. The Frosh wee activities should not have
been defunded the people who led them and participated should have been
booted out of the institution. The Frosh as an institution should have been
instructed on proper conduct and where the bounderies were. That didn't happen
because the result showed other wise.
As for a rape culture I think it reported mroe now than in the past. We have to teach
young men how to behave in the twenty first century. What does that say about us?
No means NO what part of that do they not understand. Oh don't tell me the women
dress differently today, self control is not about how people dress its about how peoplel
vies the world. To say a woman not covered up is asking for it is to say a businessman
with an expensive suit is asking to be robbed nonsense.
I think it is a sad day when we can't even teach our children sef control my god what
else have they not learned.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
I don't know if it is more or less than it used to be. What has changed is the ability by campus authorities to hide rape or blame the victim.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
I've said it before and I will say it again. I taught my boys that no means no. I don't care if she is laying spread eagle on the bed and you are about to dive in. If she says no at that point, then it is no. Put it away and get dressed.

PoliticalNick

The Troll Bashing Troll
Mar 8, 2011
Edson, AB
Bring in a modesty dress code for both sexes then rape stats will go down on campus

It has nothing to do with dress codes. It has everything to do with ignorance and a sense of entitlement. It's like Gerry says, I don't care if she is naked and spread eagle....hell I don't care if she just blew you to get you going or your half way in....no means no!!!!! If you're a guy who cannot accept that and deal with it you are part of the problem!!!!

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
Bring in a modesty dress code for both sexes then rape stats will go down on campus

They will not....grow the fu ck up. What a woman wears has nothing to do with it. Teach your god damn boys to honour a woman and accept no for a fu cking answer. Teach the little pricks to have some fu cking self control.

Liberalman

Senate Member
Mar 18, 2007
Toronto
Dressing in clothes that is not modest is tempting a person to go further then that person would have gone especially if that person is under the influence of alcohol or drugs

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
Dressing in clothes that is not modest is tempting a person to go further then that person would have gone especially if that person is under the influence of alcohol or drugs

No, no, no. No excuses, period. This is starting to sound like "she asked for it".

Liberalman

Senate Member
Mar 18, 2007
Toronto
Really? Are you that weak willed? Out of curiosity, do you have kids? Boys? Girls? How old?
When a person is under the influence of alcohol or drugs their defences are down as well as their communication skills dressing modestly would take away the temptation

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
When a person is under the influence of alcohol or drugs their defences are down as well as their communication skills dressing modestly would take away the temptation

Do you also give the drunk that runs over a kid the out of "wasn't his fault, he was drunk"?

Liberalman

Senate Member
Mar 18, 2007
Toronto
Do you also give the drunk that runs over a kid the out of "wasn't his fault, he was drunk"?
I am saying both people are at fault and the rape could have been avoided if both people were modestly dressed

Last edited:

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
I am saying both people are at fault and the rape could have been avoided if both people were modestly dressed

That's what I thought, it was her fault. You are one sick son of a bitch. A disgusting excuse for a man and a human being. It is never her fault. Period. It is the guys full responsibility.