Billionaire takes aim at Stephen Harper on Keystone XL

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
Anti-Keystone billionaire takes aim at Stephen Harper's hard line on pipeline

OTTAWA - An anti-Keystone XL pipeline crusader has written to Prime Minister Stephen Harper, suggesting Canada's aggressive lobbying for the project played a part in the ongoing government shutdown south of the border.

Tom Steyer, a San Francisco billionaire and a major Democratic party fundraiser, chastises Harper for saying he would not "take 'no' for an answer" from U.S. President Barack Obama on TransCanada's Keystone XL.

In a question-and-answer session with the Canadian American Business Council last week in New York, Harper took a hard line on how Canada would respond if the Keystone XL project is rejected by the White House.

"My view is you don't take 'no' for an answer," Harper said. "This won't be final until it's approved and we will keep pushing forward."

Steyer takes issue with those comments in his letter to the prime minister.

"Have your government, your government’s lobbyist and/or agents representing TransCanada communicated with House Republicans about including Keystone in the original litany of demands put to President Obama?" Steyer asks in the letter to Harper sent Friday.

Steyer says in the dispatch that TransCanada is launching a new advertising company aimed at stakeholders in Washington, D.C.

"News of this advertising campaign comes in the context of House Republicans having closed down the U.S. government as well as threatening to oppose the extension of the country’s debt limit unless certain demands were met," Steyer wrote.

"Included in the original list of House Republican demands was that the Obama administration grant approval for the building of the Keystone XL pipeline."

The combination of the advertising campaign and Harper's comments last week "raises the question of whether your office is working hand-in-hand with TransCanada to try to exploit the current situation in Washington, D.C., at the expense of the American people," Steyer wrote.

Anti-Keystone billionaire takes aim at Stephen Harper's hard line on pipeline

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com
Yawn!!!

Thanks to the USA saying NO!! Canada has decided to send oil East & West.. which is long over due.. We should have been building better infrastructure between provinces ages ago..

As it stands we are nothing but a Northern Doormat for the USA, to rape us of our resources, oil, gas, timber, water and so on..

We need to strengthen our East / West relations.. and our European and Asian markets.. rather than riding the coat tails of the USA.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Still supporting the natural gas companies and their bullsh*t Climate Change scam eh MF?

Even as we've tightened our belts elsewhere, America has made record investments in clean energy technologies from wind to solar to biofuels. We're modernizing our electrical grid to harness more renewable power sources. We're doubling fuel-efficiency standards for cars and trucks. And domestic production of natural gas is at an all-time high -- natural gas, which, if developed safely and responsibly, could help bridge our energy present to our energy future. - Tom Steyer

Frak away boys, frak away!

Keystone is good for the us only.
Is it? How so?

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
There ya have it. 9/11 was Canada's fault, and now the u.s. government shut down is Canada's fault.

what is it you call someone that is always passing blame to someone else and never takes responsibility for their own?

Sons of Liberty

Walks on Water
Aug 24, 2010
Evil Empire
Thanks to the USA saying NO!! Canada has decided to send oil East & West.. which is long over due.. We should have been building better infrastructure between provinces ages ago..

So you wait for the USA to say no before you act? It is long over due because of provincial economic protectionism, you can't sell a bottle of beer across provincial lines, you think it's easy to send a pipeline across provincial lines?

As it stands we are nothing but a Northern Doormat for the USA, to rape us of our resources, oil, gas, timber, water and so on..

Dear Lord, and here I thought we were buying these resources, sorry I didn't know we were butt ****ing you. :roll:

We need to strengthen our East / West relations.. and our European and Asian markets.. rather than riding the coat tails of the USA.

You have been babbling about this for decades, it hasn't been implemented because of your internal and external protectionist policies.

NG is better for Canada since we could ship anywhere in the world. Keystone is good for the us only.

Is that right? I thought you were selling the oil, please explain.

what is it you call someone that is always passing blame to someone else and never takes responsibility for their own?

The quintessential Canadian.

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com
So you wait for the USA to say no before you act? It is long over due because of provincial economic protectionism, you can't sell a bottle of beer across provincial lines, you think it's easy to send a pipeline across provincial lines?

Those barriers have been coming down with the Nationalist Pride because of Obama's position against XL Keystone and anti-rhetoric towards Canada.

There is lot's more to be done in Canada with regards to East/West relations, but this new pipeline from Alberta to Irving Oil in New Brunswick would not have happen, I think, if it was not for Obama saying NO to XL Keystone.

Dear Lord, and here I thought we were buying these resources, sorry I didn't know we were butt ****ing you. :roll:

1. I'm a dual citizen.. so I guess I'm butt fukking myself.. ;)

The US influence in Canada you don't think played a part in NAFTA, and our politics??

American Influence in Canada - Yahoo Voices - voices.yahoo.com

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
The quintessential Canadian.

and there we have it.... another Canadian hater bashing Canada. Right in line with this moron billionaire and all the "law makers" and "political pundits" that blamed Canada for 9/11. Appreciate you strengthening my point.

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
First of all if Christ himself said he was for NG I would still oppose it.
that bunch of clowns have the worst record on environmental issues.
Secondly I am opposed to selling any resources to Asia to make them
strong for us to compete against.
Yes we have east/west shipments that should have been done years
ago. But with new technology and advancements in efficiency the
promised prices will not be there anyway. Of course the current crop
of politicians doing their self serving best won't be there to be
responsible anyway.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
I agree with most of that post he made.
We are our own worst enemy at times.

Yup, we should cut the arrogant, ignorant, ungrateful, war mongering, a$$holes off. No more electricity, no more gas, no more oil, and no more water. Let the pricks freeze in the dark. Sell it somewhere else at an increased margin.

Retired_Can_Soldier

The End of the Dog is Coming!
Mar 19, 2006
Alberta
He doesn't own a forum anymore. You don't have to suck up now.

Never did, never would. SOL aka ITN is well educated on Canada and whether folks like it or not he's no slouch when it comes to debate. I'm just happy to see him up and about and stating his opinion. I also consider him a friend.

Sons of Liberty

Walks on Water
Aug 24, 2010
Evil Empire
Those barriers have been coming down with the Nationalist Pride because of Obama's position against XL Keystone and anti-rhetoric towards Canada. There is lot's more to be done in Canada with regards to East/West relations, but this new pipeline from Alberta to Irving Oil in New Brunswick would not have happen, I think, if it was not for Obama saying NO to XL Keystone.

B00Mer, with all due respect, protectionism has been going on since confederation in Canada, you may have eased a couple of issues, but really you have not made any real progress. Obama may be playing hardball with the Keystone Pipeline, but it's not towards Canada, he's trying to get what he needs from the environmentalists. The pipeline will be built, you will sell us your oil and life will move on.

1. I'm a dual citizen.. so I guess I'm butt fukking myself.. ;)

I wish I could do that :smile:

The US influence in Canada you don't think played a part in NAFTA, and our politics??

American Influence in Canada - Yahoo Voices - voices.yahoo.com

Of course we do, but are you under some foolish impression Canada has no influence on the US? Your lobbyists work very well on Capitol Hill, in most cases you get exactly what you want, forget what the American haters on this board and elsewhere say and think.

and there we have it.... another Canadian hater bashing Canada. Right in line with this moron billionaire and all the "law makers" and "political pundits" that blamed Canada for 9/11. Appreciate you strengthening my point.

Oh boohoo, If I'm a Canadian hater you're the devil incarnate.

Yank's are just pissed because we have "Real Affordable Health Care" in Canada..

I'm sure many are, especially those without insurance.

Yup, we should cut the arrogant, ignorant, ungrateful, war mongering, a$$holes off. No more electricity, no more gas, no more oil, and no more water. Let the pricks freeze in the dark. Sell it somewhere else at an increased margin.

You can't sell water to a dehydrated Canadian if he's not in your own Province. The only place you sell is South, South and more South because of your foolish anti-Canadian protectionist policies. You are your own worst enemy and you have been drinking the Kool Aid from your politicians for decades, grow up already.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
You can't sell water to a dehydrated Canadian if he's not in your own Province. The only place you sell is South, South and more South because of your foolish anti-Canadian protectionist policies. You are your own worst enemy and you have been drinking the Kool Aid from your politicians for decades, grow up already.

Maybe you should read what I said we SHOULD do, not what we are doing now. Here, I'll post it again for you. Maybe your good buddy RCS can read it and explain it to you.