Toronto councillors want to name a landmark after Pierre Trudeau

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
but of course...:lol:

not everyone’s sold on former PM’s legacy

A pair of Toronto councillors want to salute the late Pierre Elliott Trudeau by placing his name on a “significant” city landmark.

It’s an idea that was first proposed back in 2001, but never materialized.

Now Councillor Michelle Berardinetti is reviving the bid, arguing that the former prime minister deserves substantial recognition, perhaps on a major roadway, building or gathering place.

more

Toronto councillors want to name a landmark after Pierre Trudeau, but not everyone’s sold on former PM’s legacy | National Post

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Like Diefenbaker Lake or LB Pearson Airport? GASP the horror!!!

He not even dead yet and the Jews are naming a bird sanctuary after Harper.

Will that ruffle any feathers?

Jewish National Fund’s Hula Lake Nature and Bird Park is located along a major global migration route. Every year during spring and fall migration close to 500 million birds fly over Israel, passing over or spending winter, spring or summer in the Hula Valley.

Developed by KKL-JNF as part of the Hula Valley Rehabilitation Plan, the park has become a local and global attraction for hundreds of thousands of visitors each year from Israel and abroad and serves as a model for cooperation between conservationists, tourists and farmers.

Through your support, KKL-JNF is establishing a 4,000 square meter state-of-the-art visitor center at this unique site. The Centre is at the heart of the Hula Valley’s vital wetland rehabilitation project. The centre will be a world-class scientific and educational facility, designed to blend with its environment according to principles of sustainable development. It will link Israel with scientific communities and travelers from around the world. The site is expected to attract one million local and international tourists annually, more than doubling the current number, within 10 years.

JNF Toronto will help transform a vision into a reality. The Stephen J. Harper Hula Valley Bird Sanctuary Visitor & Education Centre will benefit the environment and become a major source of income for the residents of the area. With your help, the planned visitor and education centre will undoubtedly become the pinnacle of KKL-JNF’s major project, restoring the Hula wetlands to their former glory.

LOL that's f*cked, a bird sanctuary. I wonder if it's anywhere near the Stalin/Red Army monument?

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
oh I thought the public washrooms in Toronto needed a name guess I was
too hopeful. I suppose we have named something after almost everyone
so why not.

coldstream

on dbl secret probation
Oct 19, 2005
Chillliwack, BC
How 'bout the Roger's Centre and CN Tower complex. White elephant and eyesore respectively.. as an incentive to get the wrecker's balls in action.

I actually don't have much against Trudeau.. with the huge exception of the disastrous Charter of Rights and Freedoms and enthroning of a Judicial tyranny in the country.

But he was the last economic nationalist PM and a fierce federalist.. and for that he get some grudging respect from me.. especially in light of the pathetic losers we've had since in Mulroney, Chretien and Harper. Trudea could at least get things done.

coldstream

on dbl secret probation
Oct 19, 2005
Chillliwack, BC
Maybe change the name of the Don River.. to Trudeau River.. a catchbasin for all the effluence and detritus of the city... kind of a scapegoat for a lot of problems, not necessarily of its own making. It is just trying to get from here to there.

Walter

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 28, 2007
9 Leslie Street would be perfect to be named after PET. It is a gubmint building, treats everyone the same no matter what the creed or credo of the person is and it does a wonderful public service.