First Nations want bigger role in resource development

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
OTTAWA - The head of the Assembly of First Nations signaled a renewed willingness to work with the feds on major resource development projects, but also said the government needs to do better at upholding treaty and land obligations.

"Now, there's a recognition that [First Nations] will shape the conversation about both extraction of natural resources but also distribution," Shawn Atleo said Friday.

Speaking to the Vancouver Board of Trade, Atleo talked about First Nations' desire to be a greater part of resource development projects - a departure from positions on those projects taken in the past.

"We are at a moment of either collaboration or collision," he said, adding that First Nations' vision for the Canadian extractive and resource industries was a "balance between development and environment."

more

First Nations want bigger role in resource development: Atleo | Home | Calgary Sun

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Keepers of the earth. They've been investing the creators gift of uranium and heavy oil for decades in SK not to mention the logging kingpins mowing down hectare after hectare 7 day a week.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
I'd makes sure this wasn't a FN Union grab. I know you don't like those at all.

Instead of jail the F'N Bolsheviks will send you to live in an Ikea tipi in SK where it's -40C with winds for months sometimes and work deep underground in the salt mines harvesting the sylvite for 12 hrs a day.

PoliticalNick

The Troll Bashing Troll
Mar 8, 2011
Edson, AB
First Nations want bigger role in resource development

Great... Put your money where your mouth is

My thoughts exactly! If they want a bigger role and a bigger share then they better pony up the investment capital or else I suggest they ambulate for an extended period of time on a jetty that lacks in quantitive length. ;-)