Stephen Harper announces tougher measures against sex offenders

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
via sda:

Harper Derangement Syndrome in Full Bloom

One might have thought that the following headline would sit well with all Canadians:
Stephen Harper announces tougher measures against sex offenders Legislation will also create publicly accessible database of child predators​
Apparently not. Vancouver radio station CKNW has been talking about it all day. Here's a sampling of the comments on their Facebook page:
I don't agree with anything Mr. Harper says or thinks or does.

This is nothing but pandering on the backs of child sex abuse victims, the tories had their chance with C-10 and failed miserably for ideological reasons, now they're in poop up to their ears and hoping to turn this into an attack on opposition, they are no worse than the child abuser they purport to protect us from. I'm more worried about the level of fraud and corruption in the federal govt at the moment. i will not be distracted by such an obvious attempt to change the channel

The reason why haRper dosnt care about why they do it, is because harper dosnt believe in science or research, only oil, thats why, lol.. A public database is a great tool for vigilantes.
Rather than letting them out so we can track and trace them, why not indefinitely detain them until they are no longer sick in the head?
Let's not bother with the Courts then. Free pitchforks and torches would be much cheaper to provide for everyone! At least the murderers will have a chuckle while enjoying their peace and quiet.

Harper Derangement Syndrome in Full Bloom - Small Dead Animals

BC...what a place. :lol:

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com

No, means NO!!!

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
My only complaint is that the bill does not go far enough. To protect kids the pedophiles must either be eradicated or locked up for life. Treatment is BS brought out by a bunch of social workers looking for lifetime gravy train

PoliticalNick

The Troll Bashing Troll
Mar 8, 2011
Edson, AB
My only complaint is that the bill does not go far enough. To protect kids the pedophiles must either be eradicated or locked up for life. Treatment is BS brought out by a bunch of social workers looking for lifetime gravy train

There is a mechanism in place already though it is hardly ever used. It is called the 'dangerous offender' designation which comes with an indefinite sentence and puts the onus on the offender to prove they are no longer a danger to society.

Canada[edit source | editbeta]
In Canadian criminal law, a convicted person who is designated a dangerous offender may be subjected to an indeterminate prison sentence, whether or not the crime carries a life sentence, but this does not apply to convictions of first degree murder, second degree murder, high treason, and treason.[1] The purpose of the legislation is to detain offenders who are deemed too dangerous to be released into society because of their violent tendencies, but whose sentences would not necessarily keep them incarcerated under other legislation, such as the Correctional and Conditional Release Act. Under subsection 761(1) of the Criminal Code, the Parole Board of Canada is required to review the case of an offender with a dangerous offender label after seven years, and parole may be granted as circumstances warrant, but the offender would remain under supervision indefinitely. After the initial review, the Parole Board must conduct subsequent reviews every two years.[2] According to Corrections Canada, on average 24 dangerous offenders are admitted to the Canadian prison system each year. Paul Bernardo is one well-known dangerous offender.
The dangerous offender provisions have been found constitutional: "The individual, on a finding of guilty, is being sentenced for the 'serious personal injury offence' for which he was convicted, albeit in a different way than would ordinarily be done. He is not being punished for what he might do. The punishment flows from the actual commission of a specific offence."[3]
On October 17, 2006, the Canadian government introduced legislation that made it easier for Crown prosecutors to obtain dangerous offender designations. The amendments provide, among other things, that an offender found guilty of a third conviction of a designated violent or sexual offence must prove that he or she does not qualify as a dangerous offender.[4] This legislation was passed in 2008. Under previous legislation, the Crown had to prove that the individual qualified as a dangerous offender. The amendment reverses the onus for individuals convicted of three violent offences. Such individuals must now demonstrate to a court that despite the three convictions, they should not be designated as dangerous offenders.
Canadian courts also have the option of designating convicts "long term offenders". A hearing is held after sentencing, and, if a judge rules the accused is likely to re-offend after release, a 10-year period of community supervision is required after the sentence is completed.
Dangerous offender - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
What they need to do is change it a bit so 1 sexual offense against children can come with this designation.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
That anti-rape condom wouldn't work. You'd be daft to even put it on in the first place.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
you have to be raped for it to work. That makes it the furthest thing from an 'anti-rape' device, that ever existed.

WLDB

Senate Member
Jun 24, 2011
Ottawa
I don't agree with anything Mr. Harper says or thinks or does.

I really can't stand people like that. I don't agree with Harper on very much but Im not going to reject every single thing he does or says just because it came from him. Whoever wrote that comment has taken a very childish position.

Tougher measures on sex offenders? Sounds good to me.

Treatment is BS brought out by a bunch of social workers looking for lifetime gravy train

I dont see any problem with at least trying to do so for those who have not offended. You cant very well eradicate or lock up the ones who have those thoughts but haven't gone through with it.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
you have to be raped for it to work. That makes it the furthest thing from an 'anti-rape' device, that ever existed.

So women are gonna go around with these things permanently ensconsed up their roast beef curtains in the highly unlikely event someone will try to rape them?

Christianna

Electoral Member
Dec 18, 2012
That anti-rape condom wouldn't work. You'd be daft to even put it on in the first place.
It doesn't go on, it goes in, it is for the woman, not for the men.

So women are gonna go around with these things permanently ensconsed up their roast beef curtains in the highly unlikely event someone will try to rape them?
Perhaps though she would insert it when going to parties where booze was being served.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss

They were designed for places where it's not 'highly unlikely', but yes, despite your asinine, dismissive, crude way of putting it, that is exactly how it works.