Senate scandal: Mac Harb resigns

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
Former Liberal senator Mac Harb has called it quits and cut a $180,000-cheque to cover the rest of a $230,000 debt to the public purse

OTTAWA—Former Liberal Senator Mac Harb has called it quits, paid his $230,000 debt to the public purse, but may collect an annual pension of $123,000 for the rest of his life.

Harb is one of four senators whose expense claims are under review by the RCMP. That review will continue, but Harb said he was done fighting the Senate, now that the auditor general will audit everyone’s claims.

On Monday afternoon, declaring it was “never about the money,” Harb cut a $180,000 cheque to cover the amount outstanding from the $230,000 a Senate committee said he owed.

He submitted a letter to Gov. Gen. David Johnston announcing his intention to retire, effective immediately.

next

Senate scandal: Mac Harb resigns | Toronto Star

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
Good. Although he now moves on to the gold-plated pension. So yeah, he's really going to be hurting after repaying that $180,000.

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.
Mac, the only Lesbion in the senator, re sighns..............ah fukk, we are hard on them immigdrants and so on. poor ol mac. or macette. wheeterfer

startin to storm here..................owwww, big litening strike................holy stuff ................eh.

ooops, mas'cs a Lebonanese, noe a lesbion. sorry mc.a........

frdom Lebanon......................that's theone. :canada:

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
No Harper is not to blame for this one but for Duffy and Wallen he is to blame he
personally appointed them. What is worse is the Prime Minister stated things
would be different, when his government took over. Not only that he tried to do
his best to cover the whole thing up saying last winter her expenses didn't look
out of line. Perception is reality not reality itself.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
So.. Who is to blame for Harb?
Harb is. And Duffy is to blame for Duffy, Wallen is to blame for Wallen. These are grown adults, they own their behaviour. Pretty ****ty employees if you ask me, we deserve better staff than this to look after our affairs. We're worth it.

Just a general blame is to be assigned to probably most, if not all, politicians because I'm sure they're doing something they haven't been caught for.....yet.

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister
Harb is. And Duffy is to blame for Duffy, Wallen is to blame for Wallen. These are grown adults, they own their behaviour. Pretty ****ty employees if you ask me, we deserve better staff than this to look after our affairs. We're worth it.

Just a general blame is to be assigned to probably most, if not all, politicians because I'm sure they're doing something they haven't been caught for.....yet.

Every PM that let the Senate and MP's spend taxpayer dollars without audit, clear rules and definitive punishments up to and including removal for Office were & are to blame.

I was just curious as the media has assessed blame on the recent scandals... I suppose that I'll just have to wait patiently for the CBC to dispatch their crack team and execute the investigation

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
I was just curious as the media has assessed blame on the recent scandals... I suppose that I'll just have to wait patiently for the CBC to dispatch their crack team and execute the investigation
Nope- His resignation does not halt the RCMP investigation.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario

I don't give a **** who the media blames....I make up my own mind.

And these people are still pissing me off. Senators, politicians and their "entitlements". They owe, every single one of them owes it to the people of Canada to make sure their behaviour is beyond reproach, it's supposed to be a position of high trust and authority. Yet they seem to be doing a rather piss poor job of that.

Should the last 2 posts be in magenta?

Neon magenta.

tay

Hall of Fame Member
May 20, 2012
'Drunk with entitlement and power'

"It's hard to be a place of sober second thought when you are drunk with entitlement and power"

Mulcair said the Liberals, when they were in power, and now the Conservatives have fostered a culture of entitlement when it comes to their Senate appointments, and the NDP is the only party that can fix Ottawa.

The NDP has long called for the Senate to be scrapped, and Mulcair said Canadians are now catching on to that idea and it's time to abolish it "once and for all."

"Unelected party hacks have no place writing or rewriting the laws of this country. It's as simple as that," he said.

Mulcair said he will consult with Canadians and work with the provinces and territories to get the upper chamber abolished.

"Canadians deserve better," he said

NDP determined to abolish Senate, Mulcair says - Politics - CBC News

Sign the petition

We, the undersigned residents of Canada, recognize the following:

that there is no place for an unelected, unaccountable Senate in our democracy;

that the $92.5 million a year it costs to run this archaic institution would be better spent elsewhere; and
that appointed senators, especially those who abuse their privileges, do not represent the interests or values of Canadians.

Therefore, we call on the Government of Canada to abolish the unelected, unaccountable Senate once and for all.

Roll up the red carpet: It's time to abolish the Senate.