How Peter Mackay screwed David Orchard and the Progressive Conservative Party

tay

Hall of Fame Member
May 20, 2012
David Orchard contested the leadership of the Progressive Conservative Party back in 2003. Orchard relied on the support of grass-roots people, myself among them, who were opposed to government policies on free trade, environmental neglect, and Canadian support for imperial wars abroad. [7]

It was through Orchard’s support that Peter Mackay became leader of the party. Mackay then betrayed the condition of Orchard’s support by orchestrating a merger with the right-wing US-Republican style Canadian Alliance Party, which was then led by Stephen Harper. [8]

This betrayal, in addition to some of the other shenanigans which played out in the months during the leadership campaign and leading up to the vote to merge the parties in December provides a critical context for assessing this party’s commitment to ethics, responsible conduct and fair play.

An example of the shenanigans?

“They would do all kinds of things…Organizing meetings that didn’t happen or people would go to a delegate selection meeting and the address was a pawn shop in Regina so people stood at the street corner waiting for something and nobody came…There was a kind of planned confusion…by people who really wanted us to stay out, and I think these people were people who wanted the party to be taken over.” Orchard campaign manager and political advisor Marjaleena Repo

While dirty politics is hardly something MacKay invented, I feel a special animus toward him due to the long-term effects of his dishonourable behaviour.

Serendipitously, I came upon a podcast hosted by Global Research marking the ten years that have elapsed since Peter MacKay's betrayal led to end of the Progressive Conservative Party and the birth of the Harper mutation known as the Conservative Party of Canada. The rest, as they say, is history, albeit a sad one for many of us who care about this country.

I came upon a recent interview of Marjaleena Repo by Michael Welch, reminds us of some of the sordid history behind the incarnation of today's party:

Starts at the 6 minute mark. You may have to turn up the volume on the link as thankfully it doesn't come on full volume.......

You can listen to or download the podcast here-----http://www.radio4all.net/files/scot...RNH_episode_30_session_mixdown_for_June_6.mp3

http://www.radio4all.net/files/scot...RNH_episode_30_session_mixdown_for_June_6.mp3

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
David Orchard contested the leadership of the Progressive Conservative Party back in 2003. Orchard relied on the support of grass-roots people, myself among them, who were opposed to government policies on free trade, environmental neglect, and Canadian support for imperial wars abroad. [7]

It was through Orchard’s support that Peter Mackay became leader of the party. Mackay then betrayed the condition of Orchard’s support by orchestrating a merger with the right-wing US-Republican style Canadian Alliance Party, which was then led by Stephen Harper. [8]

This betrayal, in addition to some of the other shenanigans which played out in the months during the leadership campaign and leading up to the vote to merge the parties in December provides a critical context for assessing this party’s commitment to ethics, responsible conduct and fair play.

An example of the shenanigans?

“They would do all kinds of things…Organizing meetings that didn’t happen or people would go to a delegate selection meeting and the address was a pawn shop in Regina so people stood at the street corner waiting for something and nobody came…There was a kind of planned confusion…by people who really wanted us to stay out, and I think these people were people who wanted the party to be taken over.” Orchard campaign manager and political advisor Marjaleena Repo

While dirty politics is hardly something MacKay invented, I feel a special animus toward him due to the long-term effects of his dishonourable behaviour.

Serendipitously, I came upon a podcast hosted by Global Research marking the ten years that have elapsed since Peter MacKay's betrayal led to end of the Progressive Conservative Party and the birth of the Harper mutation known as the Conservative Party of Canada. The rest, as they say, is history, albeit a sad one for many of us who care about this country.

I came upon a recent interview of Marjaleena Repo by Michael Welch, reminds us of some of the sordid history behind the incarnation of today's party:

Starts at the 6 minute mark. You may have to turn up the volume on the link as thankfully it doesn't come on full volume.......

You can listen to or download the podcast here-----

http://www.radio4all.net/files/scot...RNH_episode_30_session_mixdown_for_June_6.mp3

So why don't supporters of the old PC Party just join the Progressive Canadian Party:

PC Party, Canada, Progressive Conservative, Progressive Canadian Party

Was that party not created specifically to cater to old progressive conservatives?

I don't get it.

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
Actually the Alliance hijacked the Progressive Conservative Party
It is slowly introducing social conservative policies rather than the
fiscal policy required. The present party has nowhere to grow and
that will be their undoing coming soon. We need strong parties
on all sides of the equation and the reason we have so many
problems is we don't have any strength or believability at the
moment.