So They Spent a Dollar to Chase a Dollar.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
Senator Pamela Wallin’s audit cost taxpayers almost $127k

Senator Pamela Wallin has agreed to repay all the money that auditors say she inappropriately claimed.
Unfortunately, her maleficence is still going to cost taxpayers a lot of money.
According to the Globe and Mail, the bill for the audit — which took Deloitte six months to complete — is pegged at a whopping $126,998
Financial figures published by Senate Administration indicate Ms. Wallin’s audit has been the most expensive of four undertaken so far, and roughly tripled in size from its original estimate. The original estimated cost was $43,408, which rose by $25,990 before rising another $57,600 this quarter.
The audit into the expenses of Senators Mac Harb, Mike Duffy and Patrick Brazeau cost less – an estimated $101,459.82 in the most recent financial filings,

The Senate's Quarterly Report on contracts can be seen here.

On Tuesday, the Senate released the audit into Wallin's expenses. The accountants found that the former Conservative, now independent, senator inappropriately claimed $121,348 in travel perks. The Senate finance committee has ordered Wallin to repay the money and have forwarded the matter to the RCMP.
And therein lies the other rub — it's still going to cost us more.
How much will a RCMP review cost? Moreover, what will be the total bill of the investigations into the breach of trust allegations against Senators Mike Duffy, Mac Harb and Patrick Brazeau?
In a telephone interview with Yahoo! Canada News, Lucy Shorey, media relations officer
for the RCMP National Division, wouldn't say how many officers or what resources were dedicated to those investigations.

Finally, if any or all of the senators are charged with a crime, there's going to be court costs.
Last week, lawyer David Debenham told Yahoo! Canada that the senators' trials would likely be similar in length to the trial of former Ottawa mayor Larry O'Brian who was accused of influence peddling in 2009. His trial included 16 days of testimony and cost taxpayers between $200,000 and $300,000.
Note to taxpayers: Let's keep our calculators out — it looks like we're going to need them.

Yahoo! News Canada - Latest News & Headlines

Inappropriately claimed travel perks: $121,348. Cost to taxpayers to root out the 121,348:$126,998. Opportunity to continually bone the taxpayer:priceless.

FFS. Logic people, please get some.

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
And it just gets worse...........I just saw a news item on CTV stating that every single Senator will now have their expenses audited. Deloitte must be rubbing their hands in glee. Sheesh.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
And it just gets worse...........I just saw a news item on CTV stating that every single Senator will now have their expenses audited. Deloitte must be rubbing their hands in glee. Sheesh.

So the taxpayer finally gets some sort of accountability (like they've been promising for years but never delivered) and it's going to end up costing us more.

This has to be some kind of joke. A sick, twisted, not particularly funny joke.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
Oh, hon, there are libraries full of jokes like this sort.

That's the sort of place where the books start off with a laugh and end with 'before turning the gun on herself'. Because crap like this makes me want to blow my brains out.

Okay not really. Now I'm joking.

Kinda.

See this is why I don't like politics....because it's ****ing retarded!!!

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
So the taxpayer finally gets some sort of accountability (like they've been promising for years but never delivered) and it's going to end up costing us more.

It is going to cost us MUCH more, SLM and it is going to drag on and on. Nothing the gov does is cheap or quick. That said, I imagine more than one Senator is now quaking in his or her boots with this latest news.

tay

Hall of Fame Member
May 20, 2012
Shouldn't the CONservative Party pay for this?

Harper reformed the Senate to his liking so he/ the party, should have to pay for the audits.

We know that won't happen so the Senate will just keep costing us more money.........

Note that Canadian senators don’t earn their positions by being elected by voters; they are merely appointed by prime ministers as a reward for kissing up to the elites and for raising donations for the party in power (Conservative or Liberal). Senators don’t have actual constituents to report to, and in practice, they have no real responsibilities or requirements at all.

Also note that Harper, the lying liar, vowed never to appoint an un-elected senator. Not “sometimes”, not “when required” not “rarely” —- Harper said NEVER! Why anyone still believes a word that comes out of his cold, awkward, crooked mouth is beyond me.

According to the report released in 2009, Duffy claimed more than $44,000 in travel expenses in the first three months after being appointed!

$44,000 in travel expenses in three months!

That’s more than what many Canadians make in a whole year!

If that’s in three months by one senator, imagine how much money that Duffy, Pamela Wallin and the other senators have bilked the taxpayers in the past four years. Now imagine the total bill since the senate was founded in 1867. Picture that money instead going to useful purposes like healthcare, infrastructure, affordable housing or economic development. This is a criminal waste of our nation’s financial resources!

The NDP is the only Canadian mainstream party that has been consistently correct in its position on the senate. Abolish the ****er!

There is no legitimate reason why this worthless, money-draining, patronage-appointed pile of stinking garbage still needs to exist in 2013.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
where's her fine, that's the problem. I don't care if the accounting company get triple the money, it's who should be paying for it that is at issue right? Where's the fine for having committed a crime? She has to pay it back, big deal.

hunboldt

Time Out
May 5, 2013
at my keyboard
L Gilbert;1785093[B said:
]If those candy-azz, peabrained bureaucrats had their poop in a group, she should have the original $121,348 tacked onto costs to come to around $248,336[/B].

Yeppers. Legal costs are always applied in a judgement. when fraud is proven.
Ohh, wait, that's on my HOME planet...

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON

[/FONT]

I don't think they were ever promised free accountability.

Of course if politicians weren't lying cheating scum in the first place, all this would not be necessary.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
What's going on with society that so many just can't be trusted to do the right thing anymore without regulators regulating regulators with levels upon levels of so many checks to ensure no one abuses their power. There has to come a point where we have to trust someone sooner or later to do the right thing without having an inspector at every turn. Once society becoems so untrustworthy as to need inspectors at every turn, our society will go bankrupt.

It would seem it would have to be taught in school that it's not about avoiding getting caught, or just fearing the law, but rather fearing God, knowing that even when there is no inspector looking over your shoulder, even when you know you could get away with it, that you still wouldn't as a matter of principle, of virtue, out of simplre resepct for your fellow man. How do we introduce that to children and adults across society?