Justin Trudeau slammed for backing marijuana legalization

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com
Justin Trudeau slammed for backing marijuana legalization

Federal Liberal Leader Justin Trudeau has come out strongly in favour of legalizing marijuana, a position the Conservatives strongly oppose and one even the NDP calls political pandering.

Speaking in Vancouver on Thursday, Trudeau said he now backs the legalization — not just decriminalization — of marijuana.

"Decriminalization is a great first step [but] I'm in favour of legalization as well, because we control it, tax and regulate it, we allow for development of a medical marijuana industry."

Trudeau says regulation will also help keep cannabis out of the hands of young people because — just like with cigarettes and alcohol — they will be required to provide proof of age.

"I certainly wouldn't want to encourage people to use it... but in terms of respecting Canadians and their choices... and following where the science leads us is a responsible way of government," he said.

Trudeau admits his opinion has changed over the years, but he says recent studies and evidence indicating that pot is no worse than nicotine or alcohol has swayed him.

"The Conservatives base their approach on ideology and fear. I prefer to base my approach on evidence and best practices and I think that is what Canadians will respond to," he said.

The Harper government has been quick to react.

"I find it quite strange frankly that Mr. Trudeau would be talking about legalization as a priority at this time," said Justice Minister Peter MacKay in Halifax on Friday.

"Our government has no intention of legalization. I would think Mr. Trudeau should look at other areas in which we can end violence and drug use and end this societal ill," MacKay added.

Even the NDP — which has only gone so far as calling for marijuana to be decriminalized — calls it "political pandering".

"[It's a] complicated issue," said federal NDP deputy leader Megan Leslie.

She said Canada would have to consider what impact legalization would have in terms of health, our relationship with the United States, and the economy — especially if it creates tensions with U.S. officials on border security issues.

source: Justin Trudeau slammed for backing marijuana legalization - British Columbia - CBC News

CTV NEWS Trudeau declares support for legal pot with Dana Larsen - YouTube

Trying to get the Hippie vote.. LOL

Nick Danger

Council Member
Jul 21, 2013
Penticton, BC
Maybe it is time to bring this issue to the polls. The severity of penalties associated with marijuana use is way out of line with the severity of the offense itself, and taking organized crime out of the loop is a worthwhile cause. It will be a real political hot potato to be sure, and a real gamble to hinge an election on, but it would certainly be interesting to see what sort of reaction it gets from the electorate. It could be an eyeopener for many to see how strong the pro-legalization actually is.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Maybe it is time to bring this issue to the polls. The severity of penalties associated with marijuana use is way out of line with the severity of the offense itself, and taking organized crime out of the loop is a worthwhile cause. It will be a real political hot potato to be sure, and a real gamble to hinge an election on, but it would certainly be interesting to see what sort of reaction it gets from the electorate.

Unfortunately, we won't see that for a couple years.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Unfortunately, we won't see that for a couple years.
You have no idea how close we came, it was tabled right before the Libs lost out last time. Personally I want decriminalization not a regulated, controlled and taxed system.

Harper the stupid azzhole raised the price of medical pot to higher than what it is on the street. Do you think the "street' will under cut the Govt and the Govt will call the program a failure?

O.K. ex-Hippies.. Peace man

Ex hippys in pain?

coldstream

on dbl secret probation
Oct 19, 2005
Chillliwack, BC
He's really Maggie's son isn't he.

This is the thin edge of wedge in drug legalization. It'll produce a nation of zombies. You certainly don't need draconian sentences for simple possession. But Marijuana has been associated with many types of mental impairments... depression, paranoia, psychosis... as well as its more familiar knocks of lethargy, confusion, diminishment of social engagement, general devolution of planning and life skills. It's essentially a very unhealthy and disruptive drug for young people especially.

Its therapeutic value, in any proven sense.. is just about zero. And when ingested through smoking it contains a myriad carcinogenic by products.. just like tobacco.

Justin just thinks this is one of those simple issues that people are somewhat indecisive about and will go along with the prevailing zeitgeist He seems to have none of his father's facility for critical and original thought.

Last edited:

Nick Danger

Council Member
Jul 21, 2013
Penticton, BC
I think lumping marijuana in with the harder addictive drugs is a mistake. When considering the overall risks involved in the recreational use of pot I'd have to place it behind alcohol in its potential for harm. It would also take some convincing for me to believe that legalization would actually result in more users.

hunboldt

Time Out
May 5, 2013
at my keyboard
I think lumping marijuana in with the harder addictive drugs is a mistake. When considering the overall risks involved in the recreational use of pot I'd have to place it behind alcohol in its potential for harm. It would also take some convincing for me to believe that legalization would actually result in more users.

Tories counter with substance control consultant:

Nick Danger

Council Member
Jul 21, 2013
Penticton, BC
Hehe, I think the Tories see Mr. Trudeau as the most significant threat to their hold on power to come along to date, and will do just about anything to discredit him. Somehow I suspect we're going to some new heights in political dirty fighting.

But I derail. The conservative stance on this issue to date has more or less been "There's more important things to do right now" and it looks like they will play that one through in an attempt to make Mr. Trudeau's views look like they are the basis of his election platform. It would behoove Mr. Trudeau to put something else on the table quickly to diffuse that move by the Tories.

Last edited:

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
He's really Maggie's son isn't he.

This is the thin edge of wedge in drug legalization. It'll produce a nation of zombies. You certainly don't need draconian sentences for simple possession. But Marijuana has been associated with many types of mental impairments... depression, paranoia, psychosis... as well as its more familiar knocks of lethargy, confusion, diminishment of social engagement, general devolution of planning and life skills. It's essentially a very unhealthy and disruptive drug for young people especially.

Its therapeutic value, in any proven sense.. is just about zero. And when ingested through smoking it contains a myriad carcinogenic by products.. just like tobacco.

Justin just thinks this is one of those simple issues that people are somewhat indecisive about and will go along with the prevailing zeitgeist He seems to have none of his father's facility for critical and original thought.
that's how they justified Prohibition. The people that will use will use regardless of legality. I don't need anyone to tell me what I can and can not ingest. Legalize it, age restrict it and slap and tax on it. Win, win! Another great source of revenue.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Just a bunch of bloody hypocrites! Not that that precludes young Trudeau! It's a trait of virtually all politicians...........they are all tarred with the same brush.