Mulcair the invisible

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
Because Rex Murphy.

Almost two years after picking up Jack Layton’s mantle, Mulcair is still invisible

Stephen Harper is taking the most sustained hit of his entire tenure as prime minister. The Duffy affair is a fearsome political phenomenon, a scandal that’s not only hurtful in itself, but an opinion trigger — an event that breaks a dam in party support, a reminder or a stand-in for many other mischiefs. Mr. Duffy has ripened discontent with Mr. Harper as prime minister.

People who, up until a few months ago, were solidly, even enthusiastically, Harper supporters are stepping away from him, revising their ideas of his leadership, and questioning their fealty to his party. This is new. Real Conservatives are upset, questioning — many for the first time — Mr. Harper’s leadership, and considering withdrawning their support from his party.

more on neckbeard here

Mulcair the invisible | National Post

Jonny_C

Electoral Member
Apr 25, 2013
North Bay, ON
Thomas Mulcair leads a party whose policies are only haphazardly popular and a party whose strength rests largely on an aberration of voting habits in Quebec.

And he's no Jack Layton. People could look at Layton and say, "I kinda like the guy", even if they weren't crazy about NDP policies. So far, in contrast, Mulcair has been one-dimensional and hasn't really projected any kind of personality beyond seeming irritated by just about anything.

So far, I don't see the NDP going beyond a small core of support in the next election.

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
Actually from what I understand Mulcair has been building riding strength both
within and outside of Quebec. That party has been retooling its platform to
address the very issues being raised and ensuring the platform positions are a
clear choice for Canadians. I think the party may be attempting to move a little
further to the right in some cases but I guess we'll have to see.
From what I understand Mulcair is doing town hall meetings by conference call
where the grass roots of the party are being consulted and are speaking one on
one with their leader. If he is being invisible due to rebuilding ridings one by one
perhaps its a good thing, Guess we'll have to see how it shapes up.