Dear Prime Minister Harper

Retired_Can_Soldier

The End of the Dog is Coming!
Mar 19, 2006
Alberta
Dear Prime Minister Harper,

Let me apologize up front for the informality of this post, but hey; I figured that we could be a little less formal considering the fact that you technically work for me and I along with many other conservative minded Canadians were instrumental in getting you those cool digs at 24 Sussex. Feel free to call me Mark, all my friends do, and I think this discussion should start off on the right foot if we talk as friends.

First of all, Prime Minister Harper, I do want to offer a sympathetic ear regarding all the issues your government has had to deal with lately. The flood in Calgary, Alberta, and the recent tragedy in Lac Megantic, Quebec, certainly have captured the attention of all Canadians and I do not wish to minimize those issues in any way. So on that, thumbs up. I have some stuff I'd like to say about the Lac Megantic tragedy, but I am going to save that for a later Blog, because what happened there certainly deserves its own place here on the Web.

So Prime Minister Harper, it's no mystery what you've been up to. Heck, you can't turn on the CBC or CTV or pick up a copy of a newspaper to find out what your comings and goings are. Now that Rob Ford has escaped the boney clutches of Left Wing Wacko's appalled that Toronto was capable of emerging from a fiscal year with a surplus. Now that all alleged crack pipe hoopla has settled down, it seems that you have again become the man on the front pages.

With that in mind, I thought I'd update you on my situation here. As you know, the economy hasn't been all that hot. No worries, I don't blame you or your government, rather a bunch of A-Holes on Wall Street and Money Lenders with the fiscal sense of a 12 year old girl let loose in a shopping mall with a Platinum Master Card. So right out the gate, I'm not blaming you or the government, in fact I blame the whole fiasco on Greed. But, while we are talking about the economy I did want to bring up the fact that the region I am from, Ontario Canada, has taken a pretty hard hit in the jobs department.

Did I mention that I drive truck Prime Minister Harper? Oh no? Well, yeah I've been driving truck since 1998 after leaving the Canadian Military for medical reasons. Your predecessors, The Liberal Government, screwed me on my pension and showed me the door, but that's all water under the bridge now. I did what most soldiers do, I soldiered on in the face of adversity. I'm not even going to get into the nitty gritty details about how I sustained three separate leg injuries that resulted in three surgeries and after 12 years of service was given the old "Here's your hat, what's your hurry routine?" Nope, I came out, fought the good fight, and after being beaten down by that Wretched Quasi Judicial Body in Charlottetown PEI that call themselves veteran advocates I soldiered on.

Moving on, and forgetting old wounds and betrayals, I decided to focus on a new career that was effective in taking care of my family. At first I considered jumping feet first into the Tech Sector, but to the chagrin of many, I opted to become a truck driver. Truck Drivers, it seemed at the time, were in high demand and in fact after the Tech Bubble burst I was still driving down the highway taking care of my family. So I think it was a logical decision.

Fast forward to 2011 when the bottom really fell out of the economy here in Ontario. Many small trucking companies, unable to compete with high fuel prices, were gobbled up by larger companies who cut rates and forced many drivers to either work for a lot less or do what I did. What I did in 2012 was head West to the land of Milk and Honey. No, not Israel. Alberta actually, aka: Wild Rose Country, or as many Leftist refer to it: Redneckistan.

Just a point Prime Minister Harper. I appreciate Alberta, appreciate that they pay a decent wage and treat their workers with far more respect than any other Province I have worked in Canada. Now that's just my perspective, I am sure there are others who might disagree. Yet the endless workers from Newfoundland to Nova Scotia and a host of others might just agree with my stance that Alberta, above all others pays it workers fairly.

Part of your governments mantra has been to encourage Canadians who are out of work to pack up and head where the work is. Not an easy task, but many, including myself have taken that advice, but thanks to the economy in our home regions a complete move is not always practical. So what I call these migrant Canadians, borrowing from Mark Knopfler, are Economic Refugees, We leave our home and travel West to work and pay our mortgages and taxes while sacrificing time with family and hoping that someday we can return home for good.

Adapt and overcome, Prime Minister Harper, it's always been my motto, but sometimes you guys up in Ottawa don't make it all that easy. I was going to move to Alberta, but my house isn't riding all that high on the market these days. It''s a great house, nice deck in the back, finished basement, had it built only 8 years ago, but to sell it now and buy a similar place in Alberta would saddle me with an additional $100,000 on a mortgage my wife and I are trying to pay down. So, I guess you can understand that we really don't want to be paying a mortgage when we are in our 70's. So we, like many Canadians decided to become migrant workers. I'm usually gone for six to eight weeks and back for two. This is tough, but we do what we got to do. I know I've somewhat long winded, but I wanted you to know a bit about me so you understand when I offer some criticism. Here's the thing Prime Minister Harper, I spent approximately $5,500.00 on airfare last year and by gosh you know what? I can't claim a dime of that as a work expense on my taxes.

I know, unbelievable eh, but it's true. Why is that Prime Minister Harper? Why is it that Senators and Federal MP's get all sorts of allowances and expenditures including lucrative pension packages as well as travel assistance claims, but a bunch of Canadian Economic Refugees can't claim airfare on their taxes. I understand that MP's and Senators can even claim things like housing.

So that's really the question Prime Minister Harper. Why? Why is it you guys get a lucrative pension package after five years, but veterans have to fight tooth and nail against an untouchable body located Charlottetown PEI. Why is it, that travel expenses to and from Ottawa and around the world for MP's is not considered a perk, but a must and us folks who keep this economy moving and the tax dollars rolling in aren't given the same entitlement.

I think this is a valid question Prime Minister Harper. After all, you are the folks who encouraged us to go where the jobs are and by proxy you are benefiting from the tax dollars we provide to pay your wages as serving Members of Parliament. Perhaps the next time you see Jim, Flaherty not Morrison, you could ask him why this is and while your at it you could mention to him that there is a shelter for any Corporation that flies its employees to and from Alberta, but a lot of us flip the bill. And this isn't just truck drivers, but all workers who pay their own airfare. I mean isn't that a fair expense for staying employed and not drawing Employment Insurance?

So, I'm going to leave it there Prime Minister Harper. Perhaps, if you're in the Niagara Region when I am in the Niagara Region you can stop by my place for a beer or some BBQ. Don't just show up though, because my schedule is rather sporadic what with all the traveling I have to do back and forth.

All the best...
Mark

Last edited by a moderator:

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
Excellent point. If you run a business the airfare would be a business expense and deductable.
Fortunately where I am now working the employer foots all the bills. Except my drive to the airport. What's up with that?

Durry

House Member
May 18, 2010
Canada
I'm not sure the average Canadian can be expected to be treated with the same benefits as those in the senate. They are supposedly armed with special skills to hold that position (but yeah that could be questionable ). The same would apply to elected MPs.

But I think think the bigger issue is that the average Government employee makes more than your average Canadian working employee. And it's your average Canadian employee that payes the wages of your average Government employee. There is something wrong with this situation!!

I thought there are tax breakes in the Tax code if you have to move to work at another job? Maybe not much but???

The best deal is to negotiate with your employer to pay at least part of your relocation expenses!!

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
It's a tactic of obviously both left and right (why do I need to clarify that?) who want to make contract workers out of everybody.

You handle your own insurance, pension, medical, all expenses and any fluff.

Employers are left holding no pension, medical, WCB or union obligations.

Open your eyes.

Retired_Can_Soldier

Mar 19, 2006
Alberta
I thought there are tax breakes in the Tax code if you have to move to work at another job? Maybe not much but??? The best deal is to negotiate with your employer to pay at least part of your relocation expenses!!

Not everyone has the option of relocation and many companies do not pay that expense. And judging by all the BS in the senate these days, I'm not really sure those guys are qualified to their pay grade.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
I thought there are tax breakes in the Tax code if you have to move to work at another job? Maybe not much but???
There and back and meals accommodation along the way if you drive but you can only claim that once.

Being a family man makes it hard. You have to come home at least once a month or at the drop of the hat in something critical

Trips home to visit and take care of things you can't when gone aren't covered and airfare isn't cheap.

Retired_Can_Soldier

Mar 19, 2006
Alberta
There and back and meals accommodation along the way if you drive but you can only claim that once.

Being a family man makes it hard. You have to come home at least once a month or at the drop of the hat in something critical

Trips home to visit and take care of things you can't when gone aren't covered and airfare isn't cheap.

In addition to that some employers do pay airfare, but pull a 5% premium off your pay which more than covers the cost while they reap the benefit of a tax deduction. Not my company, I pay full fair which is actually cheaper for me, but get no tax break.

PoliticalNick

The Troll Bashing Troll
Mar 8, 2011
Edson, AB
I feel for you Mark. I was able to move here permanently. Well almost, I kept my house on Vancouver Island and rented it for a little less than the mortgage & taxes but it is worth the couple of hundred a month to keep it for retirement. I do know many around this area from the east who commute every 4-8 weeks and it is about 50/50 on who gets company paid airfare and who doesn't. I know a few guys who work 28/14 but only go home every other cycle because of the costs and it must suck.

I hope things get better for you soon. If your passing through Edson drop me a note and we can go for a bevy, might even get you a home-cooked meal.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
In addition to that some employers do pay airfare, but pull a 5% premium off your pay which more than covers the cost while they reap the benefit of a tax deduction. Not my company, I pay full fair which is actually cheaper for me, but get no tax break.
$500 a month airfare bonus is common on jobs her in SK but CCRA nail you for that as income and you lose almost 1/3 and $85 of a ticket is flippin' taxes.

Go RCS LLC in your name only and put all assets in your wife's name and insure the snot out of it, her, the kids and all assets.

There are geezers with contracted pin to pin gravy runs subbing to guys with or without tractors.

I spent a big chunk of my married and dad life away from home on rotations, overseas/foreign, busted up a few times and almost disconnected with the family.

There big peso to be made out on le Pradera.

For a single man it's like hitting the lotto but for a family man there are heavy prices to pay.

You've had you Prairie experience like heading to Minot for the weekend but meeting some serious half French half Ukrainian hotties along the way and never making it past Boissevain and recent Prairie to boreal fuel runs.

You must have seen a spot somewhere that says "raise your family here" in neon?

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.
Dear Prime Minister Harper,

Let me apologize up front for the informality of this post, but hey; I figured that we could be a little less formal considering the fact that you technically work for me and I along with many other conservative minded Canadians were instrumental in getting you those cool digs at 33 Sussex. Feel free to call me Mark, all my friends do, and I think this discussion should start off on the right foot if we talk as friends.

First of all, Prime Minister Harper, I do want to offer a sympathetic ear regarding all the issues your government has had to deal with lately. The flood in Calgary, Alberta, and the recent tragedy in Lac Megantic, Quebec, certainly have captured the attention of all Canadians and I do not wish to minimize those issues in any way. So on that, thumbs up. I have some stuff I'd like to say about the Lac Megantic tragedy, but I am going to save that for a later Blog, because what happened there certainly deserves its own place here on the Web.

So Prime Minister Harper, it's no mystery what you've been up to. Heck, you can't turn on the CBC or CTV or pick up a copy of a newspaper to find out what your comings and goings are. Now that Rob Ford has escaped the boney clutches of Left Wing Wacko's appalled that Toronto was capable of emerging from a fiscal year with a surplus. Now that all alleged crack pipe hoopla has settled down, it seems that you have again become the man on the front pages.

With that in mind, I thought I'd update you on my situation here. As you know, the economy hasn't been all that hot. No worries, I don't blame you or your government, rather a bunch of A-Holes on Wall Street and Money Lenders with the fiscal sense of a 12 year old girl let loose in a shopping mall with a Platinum Master Card. So right out the gate, I'm not blaming you or the government, in fact I blame the whole fiasco on Greed. But, while we are talking about the economy I did want to bring up the fact that the region I am from, Ontario Canada, has taken a pretty hard hit in the jobs department.

Did I mention that I drive truck Prime Minister Harper? Oh no? Well, yeah I've been driving truck since 1998 after leaving the Canadian Military for medical reasons. Your predecessors, The Liberal Government, screwed me on my pension and showed me the door, but that's all water under the bridge now. I did what most soldiers do, I soldiered on in the face of adversity. I'm not even going to get into the nitty gritty details about how I sustained three separate leg injuries that resulted in three surgeries and after 12 years of service was given the old "Here's your hat, what's your hurry routine?" Nope, I came out, fought the good fight, and after being beaten down by that Wretched Quasi Judicial Body in Charlottetown PEI that call themselves veteran advocates I soldiered on.

Moving on, and forgetting old wounds and betrayals, I decided to focus on a new career that was effective in taking care of my family. At first I considered jumping feet first into the Tech Sector, but to the chagrin of many, I opted to become a truck driver. Truck Drivers, it seemed at the time, were in high demand and in fact after the Tech Bubble burst I was still driving down the highway taking care of my family. So I think it was a logical decision.

Fast forward to 2011 when the bottom really fell out of the economy here in Ontario. Many small trucking companies, unable to compete with high fuel prices, were gobbled up by larger companies who cut rates and forced many drivers to either work for a lot less or do what I did. What I did in 2012 was head West to the land of Milk and Honey. No, not Israel. Alberta actually, aka: Wild Rose Country, or as many Leftist refer to it: Redneckistan.

Just a point Prime Minister Harper. I appreciate Alberta, appreciate that they pay a decent wage and treat their workers with far more respect than any other Province I have worked in Canada. Now that's just my perspective, I am sure there are others who might disagree. Yet the endless workers from Newfoundland to Nova Scotia and a host of others might just agree with my stance that Alberta, above all others pays it workers fairly.

Part of your governments mantra has been to encourage Canadians who are out of work to pack up and head where the work is. Not an easy task, but many, including myself have taken that advice, but thanks to the economy in our home regions a complete move is not always practical. So what I call these migrant Canadians, borrowing from Mark Knopfler, are Economic Refugees, We leave our home and travel West to work and pay our mortgages and taxes while sacrificing time with family and hoping that someday we can return home for good.

Adapt and overcome, Prime Minister Harper, it's always been my motto, but sometimes you guys up in Ottawa don't make it all that easy. I was going to move to Alberta, but my house isn't riding all that high on the market these days. It''s a great house, nice deck in the back, finished basement, had it built only 8 years ago, but to sell it now and buy a similar place in Alberta would saddle me with an additional $100,000 on a mortgage my wife and I are trying to pay down. So, I guess you can understand that we really don't want to be paying a mortgage when we are in our 70's. So we, like many Canadians decided to become migrant workers. I'm usually gone for six to eight weeks and back for two. This is tough, but we do what we got to do. I know I've somewhat long winded, but I wanted you to know a bit about me so you understand when I offer some criticism. Here's the thing Prime Minister Harper, I spent approximately $5,500.00 on airfare last year and by gosh you know what? I can't claim a dime of that as a work expense on my taxes.

I know, unbelievable eh, but it's true. Why is that Prime Minister Harper? Why is it that Senators and Federal MP's get all sorts of allowances and expenditures including lucrative pension packages as well as travel assistance claims, but a bunch of Canadian Economic Refugees can't claim airfare on their taxes. I understand that MP's and Senators can even claim things like housing.

So that's really the question Prime Minister Harper. Why? Why is it you guys get a lucrative pension package after five years, but veterans have to fight tooth and nail against an untouchable body located Charlottetown PEI. Why is it, that travel expenses to and from Ottawa and around the world for MP's is not considered a perk, but a must and us folks who keep this economy moving and the tax dollars rolling in aren't given the same entitlement.

I think this is a valid question Prime Minister Harper. After all, you are the folks who encouraged us to go where the jobs are and by proxy you are benefiting from the tax dollars we provide to pay your wages as serving Members of Parliament. Perhaps the next time you see Jim, Flaherty not Morrison, you could ask him why this is and while your at it you could mention to him that there is a shelter for any Corporation that flies its employees to and from Alberta, but a lot of us flip the bill. And this isn't just truck drivers, but all workers who pay their own airfare. I mean isn't that a fair expense for staying employed and not drawing Employment Insurance?

So, I'm going to leave it there Prime Minister Harper. Perhaps, if you're in the Niagara Region when I am in the Niagara Region you can stop by my place for a beer or some BBQ. Don't just show up though, because my schedule is rather sporadic what with all the traveling I have to do back and forth.

All the best...
Mark

.................er..............................not to put too fine a point, but..................24 Sussex.

Damn, Mark, he won't get the letter.

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister
Employers are left holding no pension, medical, WCB or union obligations.

I am almost certain that even if you contract to a large corporation as an individual, if you earn 50% or more of your income from one source, that 'source' is deemed your employer by WCB and obliged to pay for that person.

If your passing through Edson drop me a note and we can go for a bevy, might even get you a home-cooked meal.

Many interesting memories of Edson - Used to work some consulting due West out by Kaybob (Silver Summit and Kennedy Road area)... Some of the prettiest country I've ever laid eyes on.

.... Then I'd drive back to Edson to stay in my hotel - usually there was only room left at the Black Gold Inn..... Anyways, beats the hell out of Fox (fukkin Vegas) Creek any day

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
I am almost certain that even if you contract to a large corporation as an individual, if you earn 50% or more of your income from one source, that 'source' is deemed your employer by WCB and obliged to pay for that person.
I'm contract and always for the same employer but I don't get a pension. Also found out this year that when I am contracted they pay sick days. I found out by accident when I was off sick for four days. In three years I had never been sick so never taken a sick day. If I had not asked, they would not have paid me. :( No pension for me except what I provide for myself.

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister
I'm contract and always for the same employer but I don't get a pension. Also found out this year that when I am contracted they pay sick days. I found out by accident when I was off sick for four days. In three years I had never been sick so never taken a sick day. If I had not asked, they would not have paid me. :( No pension for me except what I provide for myself.

My comment was supposed to be directed at WCB related issues... My bad for not identifying that more directly.

RE: Pension issues; to be honest, unless you are working for gvt or a strong union, you're better-off organizing your own finances related to retirement rather than letting someone else do it... It's really tough finding employment that offers a program of 'defined benefit'... Most are doing the 'defined contribution' which is very different (and you're beholden to the effectiveness of the investment management company that works the pension fund)

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
My comment was supposed to be directed at WCB related issues... My bad for not identifying that more directly.

RE: Pension issues; to be honest, unless you are working for gvt or a strong union, you're better-off organizing your own finances related to retirement rather than letting someone else do it... It's really tough finding employment that offers a program of 'defined benefit'... Most are doing the 'defined contribution' which is very different (and you're beholden to the effectiveness of the investment management company that works the pension fund)
hm I think you did say that and I missed it, sorry :( And yes you are right about organizing finances rather than letting another do it