Boycotting Walmart

no color

Electoral Member
May 20, 2007
1967 World's Fair
I never thought I'd be boycotting Walmart, but after reading their flyer this week, I have no chioce.

The local stores here in Montreal such as Canadian Tire, IGA, Metro ...etc have all acknowledged Canada Day in this week's flyers. Walmart which is a foreign company operating in Canada, has not bothered to acknowledge Canada Day. I went through their flyer with a fine toothcomb to be sure.

Their action (or inaction in this case) shows a disrespectful attitude on their part. As a foreign company doing business in Canada they have insulted Canadians who many I'm sure will stop frequenting the establishment.

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
I don't shop at Walmart............never have.........probably never will. That said, not acknowledging Canada Day or taking advantage of possible sales of Canadian paraphernalia for our celebration is not a great marketing ploy - but then, I doubt they care.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
I doubt it. many union members make a career ofprotestingwallywirld store openings but are front and center when the doors open.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
I never thought I'd be boycotting Walmart, but after reading their flyer this week, I have no chioce.

The local stores here in Montreal such as Canadian Tire, IGA, Metro ...etc have all acknowledged Canada Day in this week's flyers. Walmart which is a foreign company operating in Canada, has not bothered to acknowledge Canada Day. I went through their flyer with a fine toothcomb to be sure.

Their action (or inaction in this case) shows a disrespectful attitude on their part. As a foreign company doing business in Canada they have insulted Canadians who many I'm sure will stop frequenting the establishment.
Why would last weeks flyer have this weekends theme?

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
It's a common complaint. But, perhaps they are simply trying to split the difference in who they alienate. Keep in mind there are a large percentage of Quebecois who do not want to be Canadians. Keep in mind also that in drafting a second flyer for such a small market, certain design considerations may get overlooked.

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,

Only if they acknowledged the "Saint-Jean Baptiste" in la belle province on the 24th and not Canada Day on the 1st of July, would I be peeved........

Cobalt_Kid

Council Member
Feb 3, 2007
Come on people, the Walton kids only have about $80 billion to split between them while many of their "employees" in the US are encouraged and instructed how to use social assistance there while making minimum wages.

Don't abandon them this way.;)

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
I'm more miffed that Giant Tiger sells really crappy Roughrider and Canada day crap.

Somewhere in Asia there is a mountain of misspelled Saskatchewan Roughrider paraphernalia.

no color

Electoral Member
May 20, 2007
1967 World's Fair
Only if they acknowledged the "Saint-Jean Baptiste" in la belle province on the 24th and not Canada Day on the 1st of July, would I be peeved........
That's just it. Walmart acknowledged the separatist june 24th holiday in last week's flyer, however they didn't see fit to acknowledge Canada Day in this week's flyer. For a foreign company to operate in Canada and not acknowledge Canada Day is downright insulting. We have local businesses here that proudly acknowledge Canada Day. What I say to Walmart is, if you don't like Canadian culture, then maybe it's best to keep your business in the U.S.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
That's just it. Walmart acknowledged the separatist june 24th holiday in last week's flyer, however they didn't see fit to acknowledge Canada Day in this week's flyer. For a foreign company to operate in Canada and not acknowledge Canada Day is downright insulting. We have local businesses here that proudly acknowledge Canada Day. What I say to Walmart is, if you don't like Canadian culture, then maybe it's best to keep your business in the U.S.

They like Canadian culture just fine. The issue is NOT Wal-Mart ignoring Canada Day, they acknowledge it just fine throughout the many Canadian provinces which accept their bilingual flyers. The issue is that things get lost in the translation when turning their flyers over for Quebec, and, them having to pick which half of the country to please.... the half that's Canadian? Or the other half?

Not that I'm a fan of Wal-Mart, but Quebec is the issue with this one, not WM.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
That's just it. Walmart acknowledged the separatist june 24th holiday in last week's flyer, however they didn't see fit to acknowledge Canada Day in this week's flyer.
Canada Day is next week. It's Wednesday, "flyer day" and right on the front page of my local Wal*Mart flyer is Canada Day beach towels for $7.88 and red and white petunias for $9

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
I need beach towels, they are cheap I like the design, I hate Walmart...hm, what to do?

no color

Electoral Member
May 20, 2007
1967 World's Fair
They like Canadian culture just fine. The issue is NOT Wal-Mart ignoring Canada Day, they acknowledge it just fine throughout the many Canadian provinces which accept their bilingual flyers. The issue is that things get lost in the translation when turning their flyers over for Quebec, and, them having to pick which half of the country to please.... the half that's Canadian? Or the other half?

Not that I'm a fan of Wal-Mart, but Quebec is the issue with this one, not WM.
The issue is indeed with Walmart. If local Canadian businesses like Canadian Tire can acknowledge Canada Day, then why can't Walmart. Like Canadian Tire, Walmart does indeed have bilingual flyers here in Montreal, however not acknowledging Canada Day when the local businesses do is insulting.

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
lol Some of you people behave as if Wallyworld would really give two hoots. There will always be people in WM and give it a few weeks and the "insulted" people will forget and be in WM buying stuff.
If people ONLY bought stuff from there that was on sale, there'd be a chance of making an impact on the company, but they won't.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Honestly, if they're intentionally not putting Canada Day in, and it wasn't just a likely oversight, then you're just not the half of Quebec that they're marketing to.

Christianna

Electoral Member
Dec 18, 2012
I love Canada just as much as the next fella, however I also have a loyalty to my pocketbook. Walmart is the only department store in our town. So thats where (much as I hate the local store) I shop.

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
Walmart and a host of other stores were front and center contributing to the deaths of
all those people in Bangladesh. Don't tell me they didn't know the price of the product
to make would give anyone away.
Canada Day means nothing to any of them except when it comes to making more money.
Most companies don't care one way or another. I try to stay away from Walmart as much
as possible, as they are a company that preys on the vulnerable in foreign countries while
destroying our economy at home.
This is not about a flyer, saying Canada Day. It is a social blight on our communities and
it eventually becomes a testament to our own greed. We know many are being abused
overseas in order for us to have cheap goods and put our neighbour out of work. yet we
flock to the store to buy cheap, poorly made goods that are not of value and won't last.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
I love Canada just as much as the next fella, however I also have a loyalty to my pocketbook. Walmart is the only department store in our town. So thats where (much as I hate the local store) I shop.

That's it Christianna! You got it!

Shop Shop Shop

Walmarts Canada Day!

That's all Walmart needs to say!

I don't shop at Walmart............never have.........probably never will. That said, not acknowledging Canada Day or taking advantage of possible sales of Canadian paraphernalia for our celebration is not a great marketing ploy - but then, I doubt they care.

Really? "Walmart Canada Day" is not a great marketing ploy?