Quebec tables euthanasia bill

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
The same province that historically pushed the envelope in liberalizing abortion and same-sex marriage has tabled legislation that, if passed, will legalize euthanasia for the first time in Canada and offer the most radical end-of-life options of any jurisdiction in North America.

The government of Premier Pauline Marois’s government tabled an act on end-of-life care in the Quebec National Assembly on Wednesday, after nearly five years of debate and consultation.

Quebec tables euthanasia bill - The Globe and Mail

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
Heavy topic for a Thursday morning but here goes.

I think it's about time that we have something for people at the end of life. Something that wasn't left up to grieving family at the ninth hour when the options are reduced to 'stop feeding' so they can watch loved ones starve to death or some other horrific decision. There are actually times when a quick death is more compassionate. Not in every situation, not when people reach a certain specific age or state, but there are times.

Personally I've never understood why society says it's humane to end the suffering of a family pet by euthanasia but our loved ones have to suffer through to the bitter end of a 'natural death'. Because I don't think it is a natural death, medical science being what it is today it's often enough to prolong beyond what is an actual natural death. So we should have a plan in place to ease the suffering that's been brought about because we've prolonged it.

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.
If the law is passed, here's hoping Marois and her ilk take advantage of it, quickly.

The necessity of being ill could be waived in their cases.