Canada's Left Okay with Corruption

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
The Toronto Star reported a story about the federal Tories crackdown on government employees abusing their sick days. One might think that there would widespread support for this initiative. Not amongst readers of the Star:
Trying to deflect the focus from the messes & corruption that the Conservatives can't seem to make go away these days by going after the workers won't work this time. It will have a direct effect on the morale of those workers and that might effect how well services we tax payers need get done. Clean up your own house first.

This is nothing more than using a wedge issue to deflect from the senate scandal. ooooh people hate unions, let's make them the enemy. Please people, don't let this idiocy allow the senate scandal to take a back seat. Don't allow them to manipulate you and prove them right in thinking we're so stupid.
The Leftists in our country will stop at nothing to support their public sector comrades. Is there not one thing a government employee could do that would offend these folks?

Canada's Left Okay with Corruption - Small Dead Animals

The star is still mad about losing the whole Rob Ford 'scandal' thing I suppose. :lol:

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
The Leftists in our country will stop at nothing to support their public sector comrades.

Left/right has nothing to do with it. I'm not left wing but I can clearly see that this is a feeble attempt to deflect attention away from the Conservative's troubles. Only a simpleton or a hard core Tory supporter would not see that.

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister
It's a leftie newspaper whose readers are all gvt employees and unions.... Of course they will be supporting some mythical right for 60 or 70 paid sick days and assume that they are simply paid holidays

Spade

Ace Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Aether Island
Disclaimer
Those to the right of Vlad the Impaler would consider me on the progressive left; however, I have no tolerance for conservative corruption.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
Left/right has nothing to do with it. I'm not left wing but I can clearly see that this is a feeble attempt to deflect attention away from the Conservative's troubles. Only a simpleton or a hard core Tory supporter would not see that.

Stats for Public vs Private- Much higher with civil servant. Are civil servants more susceptible to illness?
Same with Pensions- Benefits-

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news...ys-are-unsustainable-clement/article12450013/
The Conservative government is taking aim at sick leave in the public service, where it says the absenteeism rate of 18.2 days a year is more than 2 1/2 times the the private-sector average.

Treasury Board President Tony Clement outlined the new policies Monday in the foyer of the House of Commons, releasing the first details on plans that were hinted at in the March, 2013, budget.

Disclaimer
Those to the right of Vlad the Impaler would consider me on the progressive left; however, I have no tolerance for conservative corruption.

This is not about corruption in my opinion. You could see this coming a year or more back.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
The Toronto Star reported a story about the federal Tories crackdown on government employees abusing their sick days. One might think that there would widespread support for this initiative. Not amongst readers of the Star:
Trying to deflect the focus from the messes & corruption that the Conservatives can't seem to make go away these days by going after the workers won't work this time. It will have a direct effect on the morale of those workers and that might effect how well services we tax payers need get done. Clean up your own house first.

This is nothing more than using a wedge issue to deflect from the senate scandal. ooooh people hate unions, let's make them the enemy. Please people, don't let this idiocy allow the senate scandal to take a back seat. Don't allow them to manipulate you and prove them right in thinking we're so stupid.
The Leftists in our country will stop at nothing to support their public sector comrades. Is there not one thing a government employee could do that would offend these folks?

Canada's Left Okay with Corruption - Small Dead Animals

The star is still mad about losing the whole Rob Ford 'scandal' thing I suppose. :lol:

How many people signed that letter?

Zipperfish

House Member
Apr 12, 2013
Vancouver
First off, the numbers touted by Clement for sick days do not match those of Stats Can. Probably one of the reasons the Conservatives would like to get rid of Stats Can.

Secondly, this is not so much an effort to crack down on corruption as it is an effort to change the system. The federal civil service does not have short-term disability leave (which most private employers have). So, if, god forbid, you find yourself seriously ill or seriously hurt, you have to wait over 100 days or so before long-term disability kicks in. If you don't have the banked sick days you are S.O.L. The new plan is to fix that system, so that workers don't need to bank their sick days for a times of crisis.

This has been in the works for some time, so I don't think the current political scandals around the Conservatives are particularly releavant.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
First off, the numbers touted by Clement for sick days do not match those of Stats Can. Probably one of the reasons the Conservatives would like to get rid of Stats Can.

Secondly, this is not so much an effort to crack down on corruption as it is an effort to change the system. The federal civil service does not have short-term disability leave (which most private employers have). So, if, god forbid, you find yourself seriously ill or seriously hurt, you have to wait over 100 days or so before long-term disability kicks in. If you don't have the banked sick days you are S.O.L. The new plan is to fix that system, so that workers don't need to bank their sick days for a times of crisis.

This has been in the works for some time, so I don't think the current political scandals around the Conservatives are particularly releavant.
What are the stats- Public- Private?

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
I don't care what party you think you belong to, this is entitlement arrogance, laziness and unacceptable:

The public service has an absenteeism rate of 18.2 days per year, which is 2 1/2 times the rate in the private sector, according to a source familiar with the announcement.

If someone thinks it's just fine and dandy, well, fuk you I say. :lol:

Spade

Ace Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Aether Island
I have worked in both the public and private sectors. Those in the private sector without benefits often arrive at work sick and unproductive because they can't afford the loss in pay. A poor reason at best. From my experience, the public sector is as devoted and often more productive at less cost than employees in the private. The statistic is misleading, at best.

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
Secondly, this is not so much an effort to crack down on corruption as it is an effort to change the system. The federal civil service does not have short-term disability leave

Of course it is. The system is broken and corrupted from within the union base to which it panders

(which most private employers have).

Really?

A link would be nice

So, if, god forbid, you find yourself seriously ill or seriously hurt, you have to wait over 100 days or so before long-term disability kicks in. If you don't have the banked sick days you are S.O.L. The new plan is to fix that system, so that workers don't need to bank their sick days for a times of crisis.

Seriously hurt at/on the job is covered by WCB... Twisting your knee or being waylaid with syphilis (assuming not contracted at work) is not the employers problem

Well put

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
I don't care what party you think you belong to, this is entitlement arrogance, laziness and unacceptable:

The public service has an absenteeism rate of 18.2 days per year, which is 2 1/2 times the rate in the private sector, according to a source familiar with the announcement.

If someone thinks it's just fine and dandy, well, fuk you I say. :lol:

Loc- ZP posted a link from Stats Can which differs on the numbers. Sources familiar with unnamed etc- Is that not the same thing Mayor Ford is dealing with?

Remember this is a guy that ran for the leadership and accepted money from the Harper campaign.

Now any time Clement, AKA Mr. Gazebo talks I take it all with a salt lick. And I do not think you would disagree on Tony?

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
Loc- ZP posted a link from Stats Can which differs on the numbers. Sources familiar with unnamed etc- Is that not the same thing Mayor Ford is dealing with?

Remember this is a guy that ran for the leadership and accepted money from the Harper campaign.

Now any time Clement, AKA Mr. Gazebo talks I take it all with a salt lick. And I do not think you would disagree on Tony?

Political partisanship has nothing to do with the OP