Canada's May jobs blowout sparks hopes, caution

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
OTTAWA (Reuters) - Canada's economy churned out a spectacular 95,000 jobs in May, the second-biggest gain in 37 years, according to an official report that raised hopes the economy is gaining momentum, but was also taken with a grain of salt.

The gain would be the equivalent of the far larger U.S. economy creating nearly 900,000 jobs in one month, well above the 175,000 workers hired there last month.

more

Canada's May jobs blowout sparks hopes, caution | Canada | Reuters

related

Three-Month Average of Job Creation Plummets

The American economy has created 78,000 fewer jobs per month over the last three months as compared to the previous three months. Between December of 2012 and February of 2013, 699,000 jobs were created, for an average of 233,000. Between March and May of 2013, however, the economy created only 466,000 jobs, for an average of 155,000 jobs.

Three-Month Average of Job Creation Plummets

Liberalman

Senate Member
Mar 18, 2007
Toronto
Hmmm... Isn't it easier to pay off your debts when you have a job? Just askin'.

When the monthly payments goes higher than what money is coming in as in a mortgage it might be hard. In America when the housing crashed because of the mortgage scam caused the economy to crash earlier than it was supposed to if you believe in the economic cycle.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
When the monthly payments goes higher than what money is coming in as in a mortgage it might be hard. In America when the housing crashed because of the mortgage scam caused the economy to crash earlier than it was supposed to if you believe in the economic cycle.

I understood what you meant. What I meant is that I doubt these newly-employed care much for how their new-found employment might inadvertently affect those of us who can afford a mortgage. Maybe this is indicative of a problem in our society, that rather than being happy for those who get employment, we worry about how their change of fortune might affect us. Where is the sense of patriotism in this country?

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
These aren't new jobs. They were jobs that were axed and now regained.

That is why you get it rewritten when economies tank. It wasn't mortgages that caused the issues. It was the derivatives.

Liberalman

Senate Member
Mar 18, 2007
Toronto
I understood what you meant. What I meant is that I doubt these newly-employed care much for how their new-found employment might inadvertently affect those of us who can afford a mortgage. Maybe this is indicative of a problem in our society, that rather than being happy for those who get employment, we worry about how their change of fortune might affect us. Where is the sense of patriotism in this country?

Our federal government wants to help other countries before they help the people that elected them into office. Free trade has exported a lot of Canadian jobs out of this country and the government is blaming the labour or the unions for the country’s woes and these are Canadian taxpayers that want better wages and benefits. I say that taxpayers should get the same deductions as the businesses and taxpayers should have the same access to government grants as businesses do and any business that moves their company to another country and not take their employees then their imports should be banned from this country. We elected a federal Conservative government to take care of us first and help us first but all they do is help us last that is if there is any money left of our tax dollars.

Angstrom

Hall of Fame Member
May 8, 2011
The next 7 years will be good for the economy.

Will hit our peak in 2015, and slowly get back to the norm by 2020.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
Did Walter give me a greenie? Did he realy just give me a greenie?! Walter, was that by accident or did you really mean to give me a greenie?

I will cherish that greenie for as long as I remember! :)

Walter

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 28, 2007
Did Walter give me a greenie? Did he realy just give me a greenie?! Walter, was that by accident or did you really mean to give me a greenie?

I will cherish that greenie for as long as I remember! :)
Intelligent posts get rewarded appropriately.