MP's expenses

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
This tip from a readers comments at sda:

There is a gov't website that lists(but not in detail) the expenses of our MP's. The latest offering shows us the expenses for the fiscal year that goes from April 1st 2011 through to March 31st 2012.

These are not detailed but are a tallying of what was submitted and paid for travel and 'per diem'. Paid by our taxes,our middle-class sweat. I've extrapolated Jack Layton's expenses because of his death. Justin Trudeau was not an announced candidate for the Liberal leadership during this period. As an added bonus, I included Charlie Angus's expenses because he is the "ethics" critic of the NDP, the workingman's party.

Some notables,one year,travel and meals;

Chow Olivia,Toronto >>> $ 85,550.74
Layton John, Toronto >>> $ 87,759.15 The TO power 'couple',$175 G's.Keep in mind that couples usually travel and dine together,unless of course one has a clinic appointment.
Goodale R,Wasana >>> $ 195,450.82 Lib "ethics" voice,just how faraway is Wascana?
Mulcair T, Outremont >>> $ 42,745.85
Trudeau J,Papineau >>> $ 81,278.80
Harper S, Calgary >>> $ 51,258.82

My faves;

Angus C,Timmins >>> $127,488.48 NDP "ethics" voice
Brosseau,E, Vegas? >>> $ 42,416.85

Spin these anyways you want.but the numbers won't change. The talking heads that are featured on the CBC preaching ethics,Goodale and Angus, are the biggest spenders.

Justin lives the closest,but out-spends almost all.If you include his other expenses,he is in the top 5 out of 308.BUT,he spends the least time in the HofC of all. Hmmm.

For my money,and yours,I would like PM Harper and MS. Brosseau,to look after my interests,maybe even Mr.Mulcair. How about you?
My figures come from this interesting website,crunch away.

Expenditures by Member - Selection of Members

Reader Tips - Small Dead Animals