BC rejects Northern Gateway proposal

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
I'll Miss Buying BC Lumber

BC rejects Northern Gateway proposal. So send it down the scenic Fraser Canyon on rail cars, I say.

Ezra Levant's take.

By: Kate

The British Columbia provincial government formally rejected the Northern Gateway pipeline proposal Friday.
Proposed pinepline was to run 1,177 kms, from Edmonton to Kitimat

Projected to carry 525,000 barrels of Alberta oil/day to energy hungry markets in Asia.

Projected to create 3000 jobs in BC during construction, and 560 permanent jobs thereafter.

BC's loss: Projected tax revenue of $1.2 billion to BC over thirty years.

B Ceein' ya hipsters. :lol:

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister
yeah, dream on..

I like the idea of building a Refinery on the Alberta/BC border.. not in Kitimat

David Black says he's close to signing $25-billion Kitimat oil refinery deal (updated)

Guess this refinery and the jobs it offers the northern BC'ers would get are now also gone..

BC has a rich history of driving away businesses that pay the bulk of the tax revenues.

I am really looking forward to the next couple of years when the Equalization deal gets renegotiated... I'm pretty sure that there will be more than a couple of provinces that will be crying in their beer for the piss-poor decisions they made in the past

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com
If they force that pipeline down our throats, people will feel just like Iraq and Afghanistan and react the same way. Do you think that forcing through an unwanted pipeline is playing nice?

Did you read my response above.. that won't happen. Why would anyone suggest that.. tell me when in Canada's history that the Federal Government has built something after the provincial government said NO!!

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
If they force that pipeline down our throats, people will feel just like Iraq and Afghanistan and react the same way. Do you think that forcing through an unwanted pipeline is playing nice?

How about unwanted highways and railroads?

If for some reason Sask or AB didn't want the CPR going through their province, it would be reasonable to cut-off the rest of the nation?

It's a slippery slope there Cliffy, you have to take the good with the bad... Besides, it would be massively entertaining to see Harper jam the line through and watch the endless bleating and moaning from the likes of Suzuki (no doubt from the back seat of his big diesel bus)

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
BC has a rich history of driving away businesses that pay the bulk of the tax revenues.

I am really looking forward to the next couple of years when the Equalization deal gets renegotiated... I'm pretty sure that there will be more than a couple of provinces that will be crying in their beer for the piss-poor decisions they made in the past
There is no upside for BC in this pipeline: a few short term jobs but no significant long term jobs. The potential environmental damage and the costs would be detrimental to our economy in the long run.

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
yeah, maybe. Will Wild Rose be running Alberta??

Any party in power... That would be the easiest sell for any gvt to reduce or eliminate the billions in transfer payments

There is no upside for BC in this pipeline: a few short term jobs but no significant long term jobs.

A single major refinery can employ 1 -2 thousand, full time for decades... The LNG facilities that BC has approved would be testament to that (to a lesser degree ironically)

The potential environmental damage and the costs would be detrimental to our economy in the long run.

It sure is interesting that a province that relies so heavily on fossil fuels can single-out one 'potential' scenario but ignore the rest as the province relies upon it.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
How about unwanted highways and railroads?

If for some reason Sask or AB didn't want the CPR going through their province, it would be reasonable to cut-off the rest of the nation?

It's a slippery slope there Cliffy, you have to take the good with the bad... Besides, it would be massively entertaining to see Harper jam the line through and watch the endless bleating and moaning from the likes of Suzuki (no doubt from the back seat of his big diesel bus)
You really don't know the mind set of BCers. There will be boots on the ground. There will be war. This is not a threat. It is a fact. Send your damn oil to the US. I think you may run into the same problem down there. Find something with more integrity to make a living than destroying yours and our environments.

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
You really don't know the mind set of BCers. There will be boots on the ground. There will be war. This is not a threat. It is a fact. Send your damn oil to the US. I think you may run into the same problem down there. Find something with more integrity to make a living than destroying yours and our environments.

Lived out there long enough to know the mindset and have seen the corporate response over the years.

The province is not corporate-friendly and fewer and fewer major companies/projects are considered fro the province... You guys are voluntarily transforming yourself into a backwater that will be no more than a tourist attraction that is subject to the trends and whims of the service industry.

You have already borrowed yourself to the limit, pushed away any growth associated with major companies and need to tax the average citizen into the grave in order to pamper the various lobbies and welfare demographics.

... You tell me what you think will happen if this keeps up?

WLDB

Senate Member
Jun 24, 2011
Ottawa

At the time the railroad went through neither Saskatchewan nor Alberta existed as provinces. That wouldnt come around for another 30 years. In this hypothetical scenario they could have just said "So you want to have a province? Fine, but you have to keep the railroad."

Zipperfish

House Member
Apr 12, 2013
Vancouver
The BC rejection was submitted to the Joint Review Panel. They are "offically opposing" it.

Whatever the Panel said can be accepted or overruled by the federal cabinet, and I have a feeling that is where the decision will ultimately be made. As far as dire economic consequences for BC--can't really see it. Apart from construction there's not a whole lot of economic upside to the deal for BC.

I don't think Clark really wants to say no, but Harper and Kinder Morgan have been such unrepentant environmental laggards that she's kind of cornered into that position. I expect some last minute largesse from teh feds to address Calrks five preconditions. Either that or Keystone goes through, and the pressure's off.

Also, we love to hear Alberta whine.

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com

This thread is just starting to get interesting..

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
At the time the railroad went through neither Saskatchewan nor Alberta existed as provinces. That wouldnt come around for another 30 years. In this hypothetical scenario they could have just said "So you want to have a province? Fine, but you have to keep the railroad."

Either the Feds have the power or they don't. There are certain areas where the federal gvt can over ride the provinces on select issues. Both railroads and pipelines qualify.

That said, if BC were able to deny the Feds on a pipeline (assuming the Feds tried to push it through), what is to stop another province from prohibiting railroads from operating in their province (or a port or airport)?

I do not have the answer, but the question is sure interesting