Canadian budget bill contains rude shock for the CBC

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
Keep in mind our little column is written by two labor puppets:

Only an idiot bites the hand that feeds them. That’s just common sense unless you believe your job requires you to do it . . . if you’re, say, a parliamentary budget officer, an auditor general or a public broadcaster. Then it’s an occupational hazard and you do it even if it means smaller rations.

But what if you end up with a kick in the teeth?

That’s pretty much what’s happening to CBC with the few lines the government sneaked into its latest omnibudget bill, C-60. If this senseless provision passes, the government will sit at the management table of the largest news organization in the country.

“The CBC may think it is a special, independent, Crown agency. This is wrong.” Those are the words of Finance Minister Jim Flaherty, who is apparently pretending he’s never read the Broadcasting Act. That act defines the arm’s-length relationship between the government and CBC, which will be obliterated if the government can dictate the terms of negotiation with union and non-union employees.

The door will be wide open for narrow partisan interests to trump the mandate of the public broadcaster.

more

Canadian budget bill contains rude shock for the CBC | Toronto Star

sda fixed that sentence:

Let Me Fix That Sentence For You - Small Dead Animals

relic

Council Member
Nov 29, 2009
Nova Scotia
Can't have those nosy journalists holding back the curtain so people can see the real wizard.No you people like it in your bubble.
Fascist swine.

Palindrome

Nominee Member
May 14, 2013
captain morgan: But it is considered 'arms-length' to be 100% funded by the gvt?

Yes, like the armed forces or national parks, it is funded by our taxes. It belongs to the whole country, all of the people - not to the party in office at any given moment. That way lies tyranny.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
Yes, like the armed forces or national parks, it is funded by our taxes. It belongs to the whole country, all of the people - not to the party in office at any given moment. That way lies tyranny.
Uh! We already have that. Harpo and his goons have seen to that.

Palindrome

Nominee Member
May 14, 2013
I know. They announced in 2010 at the G-20. We've seen public broadcasting gradually turned into the mouthpiece of... well... the usual.

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister

Sure, but the Armed Forces and National Parks aren't screaming to have blank cheques written without any oversight or input... In fact, you might see that the gvt has a strong presence in both the aforementioned, so why is CBC magically excused from this?

I know. They announced in 2010 at the G-20. We've seen public broadcasting gradually turned into the mouthpiece of... well... the usual.

Who? The Liberal Party of Canada?

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island

The CBC is run by and for a bunch of pigs in Toronto and it's sole purpose is to present Toronto's views to the rest of Canada. Huge waste of tax dollars.
Everytime Flaherty stands up for taxpayers the lefards cry.

Palindrome

Nominee Member
May 14, 2013
In fact, you might see that the gvt has a strong presence in both the aforementioned,
The army brass lets politicians interfere in personnel selection and promotion? I'm surprised. But i wouldn't be surprised if the Harpoons approved strip-mining in Banff. They can - my contention is that it would be wrong.
After him, the flood, right?

The CBC is run by and for a bunch of pigs in Toronto
Maybe so. As long as a public broadcasting network exists, it can be reformed. Once it ceases to exist, there will be no public voice at all. Just the wholly owned stations of the moguls who already tell most of the people what to think about everything.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
8O The CBC is fastly becoming as relevant as Sun News.................even less so.

Been my opinion of CBC for about 30 years. The farther from Toronto you live the less relevant CBC is to your life. Satalite radio is one of the best things that ever happened to rural Canada.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Cats that are on fire and rotting critters. What started this trend? Hiding the hamster?

I hear Pet Shop Boys playing in the back ground rather than the familiar Sweet Home Alabama.

sigh

8O The CBC is fastly becoming as relevant as Sun News.................even less so.
CTV seems to have picked up the ball and ran with it. Which wing are they?

4 minutes of commercials on radiotwo are coming.

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister
The army brass lets politicians interfere in personnel selection and promotion? I'm surprised. But i wouldn't be surprised if the Harpoons approved strip-mining in Banff. They can - my contention is that it would be wrong.
After him, the flood, right?

The senior guys at CBC are already appointed by gvt.... Kinda sinks yer ship, don't it?

By the way, I love the grand deflection on strip mining in Banff.... You must work for the IPCC

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
Don't get tv except for the Knowledge Network and any ads on radio pretty much go in one ear and out the other anyway. Not a biggie. Radio 2 & 3 are handy but not necessary. Er, and I'll quit listening to Radio 1 if they dump The Debaters and Terry O'Reilly's The Age of Persuasion. Satellite and internet radio RAWCKS!

Palindrome

Nominee Member
May 14, 2013
Don't get tv except for the Knowledge Network
That's next, along with TVO. I see no chance of them surviving on member subscriptions. Look at poor old PBS, limping along with antique concerts and documentaries.
Oh well, more's been lost, i suppose.

tay

Hall of Fame Member
May 20, 2012
Personally I'm calling for a ban on any CTV news people being allowed to join any Political Parties or be appointed to anything involving taxpayer money........