Bill 14 not yet Law yet it Looks Like Provisions of Bill 14 are Already Being Applied

no color

Electoral Member
May 20, 2007
1967 World's Fair
Item 12 in bill 14 would revoke bilingual status from any town in Quebec where the English speaking population falls below 50%.

As far as I am aware, Bill 14 is not yet law. It needs to be approved by the National Assembly where the PQ currently has a minority government. However, I believe some may have jumped the gun and have already started applying bill 14. I was driving by D.D.O. just the other day. I had not driven by this part of the West Island in quite a spell. I passed by the building that houses the Civic Center, Library and City Hall. To my amazement I noticed that the exterior signage identifying the Civic Center, Library and City Hall were in French Only. D.D.O is (or at least was) a town with bilingual status which is (or was) required to provide services in both English and/or French to it's citizens. This also includes identifying municipal buildings in both languages so it's citizens can read the signs regardless which language they speak. I guess D.D.O. town coucil assumes that Bill 14 will pass.

See here for contents of Bill 14 (click on the first link under Introduction):
Bill n°14 : An Act to amend the Charter of the French language, the Charter of human rights and freedoms and other legislative provisions - National Assembly of Québec