Should Authorities Have the Power to Ask Your Religion?

Should the Royal Canadian Mounted Police be able to compel religious identification?

• Yes

Votes: 2 11.1%
  • No

Votes: 16 88.9%

• Total voters

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
To be clear, I am not referring to the context of a census or a like activity.

The topic arose in The Honourable the Senate, when The Honourable Senator Nancy Ruth C.M. (Cluny, Ontario) brought the issue up in question period. The honourable senator mentioned that her taxi driver, earlier that day, had been asked by a member of the Royal Canadian Mounted Police to identify his religion at a checkpoint.

Senator Ruth raised the issue with Senator the Honourable Marjory LeBreton P.C. (Ontario), the Leader of Her Majesty's Government in the Senate. The Leader of the Government was asked whether the Government had directed the RCMP to seek to identify citizens' religions in the performance of their duties; the Leader of the Government committed to return to the Senate with a response at a later time.

So what do you think?

Check out the Debates of the Senate, where the issue arose, here.

Last edited:

Johnnny

Frontiersman
Jun 8, 2007
Third rock from the Sun
there is no links in the OP

Is this just another copy and paste??????

im sorry the taxi drier was so offened by one persn that he "the taxi driver" felt compelled to label the whole RCMP as racist.... Really ?!?!?!

Since there is no link as of now... i can imagine that the taxi driver was just looking to shake down "Whitey" for some money....

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
there is no links in the OP

Is this just another copy and paste??????

im sorry the taxi drier was so offened by one persn that he "the taxi driver" felt compelled to label the whole RCMP as racist.... Really ?!?!?!

Since there is no link as of now... i can imagine that the taxi driver was just looking to shake down "Whitey" for some money....

I do not copy-and-paste. I just forgot to link to the Debates. Fixed.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
I have to say yes.

That way I can get it out there that I'm a Jedi.

It would be a stupid question to ask. You can give any answer you want.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
I have to say yes.

That way I can get it out there that I'm a Jedi.

Getting tired of walking around in jackets with unattached sleeves are you? lol.

It would be a stupid question to ask. You can give any answer you want.

While I am a fan of the smart *** remark, I'd have to admit I'd go standard answer on that one. :)

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Getting tired of walking around in jackets with unattached sleeves are you? lol.
LOL, no, but quite frankly the question is ludicrous.

You can literally say anything you want. Saying Jedi would just emphasize that.

While I am a fan of the smart *** remark, I'd have to admit I'd go standard answer on that one. :)
Princess of the Dark Side?

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
LOL, no, but quite frankly the question is ludicrous.

You can literally say anything you want. Saying Jedi would just emphasize that.

Of course it's a ludicrous question. Even though it's difficult to assess any question without context, I have a really difficult time imagining what possible context there would be that this would be at all relevant.

Princess of the Dark Side?

They have the best cookies.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Of course it's a ludicrous question. Even though it's difficult to assess any question without context, I have a really difficult time imagining what possible context there would be that this would be at all relevant.
It may not even be true.

After reading the link, it would appear the taxi driver merely told Senator Ruth that he'd been asked.

They have the best cookies.
Holy even.

Maybe the taxi driver inadvertently gave the Knights of Columbus sign, and the officer found it strange coming from a Pakistani:lol:
He's from Yemen.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
The RCMP have absolutely no use for this information in routine investigations. If they are at a murder scene where a guy has been stabbed with a crucifix, then maybe the question becomes pertinent when interviewing suspects. Otherwise, no. I doubt that this is a government directive however. Probably just one cop.

CanIrish

Nominee Member
Nov 20, 2012
Ireland
sure why not?? people are offended by everything these days...
especially since religious extremism is the biggest threat to our liberty.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
The response to the answer could cause a problem due to some people's inability to differentiate between belief and behaviour. So, no!

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
No person in authority, job interview, co worker, employer should ask such a question. Exceptions do arise. I have observant Muslims working for me and prayer times have to be accommodated when possible, which they are. Also what is their response when praying to an alarm which requires immediate attention.
And if relevant in a court case.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
Taxi drivers being what they are it is entirely possible that the driver has some obviously religious paraphernalia hanging about and the cop was simply curious.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
Taxi drivers being what they are it is entirely possible that the driver has some obviously religious paraphernalia hanging about and the cop was simply curious.

That sounds about 90 plus % right. Innocent conversation.