94 % of Canadians support country's healthcare system

tay

Hall of Fame Member
May 20, 2012
A new poll conducted by Nanos Research, released today revealed the soaring Canada-wide support, up nearly ten-percent from a similar poll conducted a little over a year ago. Support has risen to a record 94-percent, from a strong showing in August 2010 of 86-percent, underlining that more than nine in ten Canadians support public solutions to making public healthcare stronger.

more

Health care: 94% of Canadians - including Conservatives - choose public over for-profit solutions < Health care, Privatization | CUPE

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister
Yup... That and the notion that this 'poll' only made it to the CUPE website and not the MSM.

That said, I can't imagine that you would have a whole lot of people responding to a poll question that basically says: "do you want free healthcare or would you prefer to pay out of pocket"

It's like issuing a poll question asking if you like to win the lottery or earn $50 million by the sweat of your brow.

Disingenuous at best

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
Yup... That and the notion that this 'poll' only made it to the CUPE website and not the MSM.

That said, I can't imagine that you would have a whole lot of people responding to a poll question that basically says: "do you want free healthcare or would you prefer to pay out of pocket"

It's like issuing a poll question asking if you like to win the lottery or earn $50 million by the sweat of your brow.

Disingenuous at best

All polls raise more questions than answers as far as I'm concerned.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
I would say that the system is over used and with no eye towards responsible use before I would vilify the population that works within it.
There are idiots who run (intended) to ER for a stubbed toe and there are idiots who x-ray stubbed toes knowing they are stubbed toes.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
There are idiots who run (intended) to ER for a stubbed toe and there are idiots who x-ray stubbed toes knowing they are stubbed toes.

And there are people in ambulances in the ambulance bay because there isn't enough space in the hallways.

That I've seen with my own eyes.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
We have too much "putting out fires" and too little concern for health. Some people put more value of self destructive practices.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
We have too many whiners. People will go see another Dr if the first one didn't Rx an anitbiotic for a viral infection and now there are something like 8 "superbugs" that are antibiotic resistant.

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
People need to stop oversimplifying the problem. It isn't just overpaid and understaffed. It isn't just over use of x-rays for stubbed toes. It isn't just about "putting out fires". It isn't just about whiners and demands of a raft of MRIs and intensive testing. It's all of the above and then some. It's an aging population. It's about increasingly expensive options like organ transplantations. It's about always improving pre-hospital care that keeps more and more people alive after heart attacks and accidents. It's about alot of things.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
People need to stop oversimplifying the problem. It isn't just overpaid and understaffed. It isn't just over use of x-rays for stubbed toes. It isn't just about "putting out fires". It isn't just about whiners and demands of a raft of MRIs and intensive testing. It's all of the above and then some. It's an aging population. It's about increasingly expensive options like organ transplantations. It's about always improving pre-hospital care that keeps more and more people alive after heart attacks and accidents. It's about alot of things.
Heart disease and the death rate from heart attacks has plummeted thanks to improved treament and public awareness. Stubbed toes on the other hand remain at an all time high.

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
Heart disease and the death rate from heart attacks has plummeted thanks to improved treament and public awareness.

Yes they have. They have also driven up health care costs. It didn't cost any money to treat somebody that was dead from a heart attack before they got to the hospital. Fifty years ago, an ambulance was little more than a van with a stretcher. Today it's an advanced life support system. Every two bit town has 2 or three AED machines. People that used to die are not dying anymore. It takes money to nurse them back to health or to nurse them while they die more slowly.

CanIrish

Nominee Member
Nov 20, 2012
Ireland
You want to know how good your health care is in Canada?? Go live somewhere else for a while..
Trust me, your health care is amazing.. protect it.