brand names to include some French.

The retailers include some of the biggest brand names in North America —
Walmart, Best Buy and Costco. Their lawyers are expected in Quebec Superior
Court on Thursday.

Quebec's language watchdog, The Office Quebecois de la Langue Francaise,
wants the retailers to change their signs to either give themselves a generic
French name or add a slogan or explanation that reflects what it is they're
selling.

This ought to be an easy win for the Retailers. The law is clearly on their side. Brand names, Logos and Registered Trademarks are exempt from any language laws. These signs were legal for the past 35 years, and since none of the related laws have changed since, they are still legal. When dealing with registered trademarks, we are talking about international laws which provide protection for the trademark and which the language police have no control or jurisdiction over. When these retailers in their cases, it would be a good bet that other retailers will start using more English signs.

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
Saw this in the news yesterday hope the Province wins. I say this because I think the business
community should obey the law like everyone else. Business attempts to bully all governments
at one time or anther. If the law holds in this case in Quebec, then the business community can
expect challenges on other laws from other Provinces. I think the language law is silly personally
but to Queber's its not. therefore they have a right to enact their own laws.

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,
Saw this in the news yesterday hope the Province wins. I say this because I think the business
community should obey the law like everyone else. Business attempts to bully all governments
at one time or anther. If the law holds in this case in Quebec, then the business community can
expect challenges on other laws from other Provinces. I think the language law is silly personally
Isn't challenging a stupid law in court the proper way to do it???
Or do you feel that the government is all knowing in all things?
The law is silly but you hope they win??? <Scratches head>

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
Oh I didn't say the government is all knowing you and I both know that is not true.
In Quebec they have a different kind of logic, what seems nuts to us is not nuts to
them. The people subscribe to the vision of the language law as it protects their
language just like the gun laws when enacted protected us from murders in the
street. If you for the corporates to abide by any law it would be a first step on the
road to forcing them to obey rational laws.

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,
Oh I didn't say the government is all knowing you and I both know that is not true.
In Quebec they have a different kind of logic, what seems nuts to us is not nuts to
them. The people subscribe to the vision of the language law as it protects their
language just like the gun laws when enacted protected us from murders in the
street. If you for the corporates to abide by any law it would be a first step on the
road to forcing them to obey rational laws
So to get business to obey laws that make sense you first have to force them to swallow one that doesn't.....

You make just about as much sense as Pauline Marois:roll:

no color

Electoral Member
May 20, 2007
1967 World's Fair
community should obey the law like everyone else.

That's just it. The signs on these establishments are perfectly legal (WalMart, Best Buy, Costco, Gap, Old Navy, Guess). These are all either brand names or registered trademarks, and both are exempt from the language laws. It appears that the language police are trying to enforce laws that don't exist, or they simply are not familiar with the laws that they are trying to enforce. What a joke!

wulfie68

Council Member
Mar 29, 2009
Calgary, AB
The courts will side with the businesses, as they have continually ruled against the draconian language laws in Quebec, but the provincial gov't will invoke the "not withstanding" clause, yet again, in the name of preserving "french culture", so nothing will change.

Sparrow

Council Member
Nov 12, 2006
Quebec
As a Quebecer I hope the businesses win. As mentioned above those names are legal. This came up several years ago when the law was brought in and at that time it was decided they did not have to change.

Angstrom

Hall of Fame Member
May 8, 2011
I think the language law is silly personally

Wow. You're definitely the most respectful & accepting person on this web site

JamesBondo

House Member
Mar 3, 2012
Sometimes, it is best for large retailers to ignore stupid laws. For example, the big stores ignored the 'closed on Sundays' laws until they finally legalized it.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island

Did you forget that Canada is officially bilingual? Means you can carry on business in either official language and a smart businessperson would also try to accomadate as many minority languages as possible. Quebec OTH is practicing a form of genocide and claiming it has the right to do so.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit

What does a big red octagon on the street corner mean?

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
That is true you can conduct business in either official language in this country but as the
Quebecer's tell you over and over things are different in that Province with regard to the
language laws. In BC for example, we have the Agricultural Land Reserve with regard to
using and preserving land for Agricultural purposes. As it turns out this legislation that was
supposed to help Farmers has been a benefit to all but farmers. Still if it did benefit farmers
it would be a stellar piece of Provincial Law.
In Quebec they have a language law for business regarding signs and business names.
The problem is most of these companies has a name that cannot be translated into French.
This is what created the big argument. This is funny because the car companies for example
have become so politically correct they look for names that don't mean anything in the world
that is to appease international markets. That came about because NOVA the car didn't do
so well in Latino circles it means something like won't go or something to that effect.
I would be surprised if the Province lost. Its the first time companies have faced such a challenge.
As for silly piece of legislation, its silly to us not to many in Quebec and as the court battle will
be waged there the ruling might surprise many in the west.

PoliticalNick

The Troll Bashing Troll
Mar 8, 2011
Edson, AB
That is true you can conduct business in either official language in this country but as the
Quebecer's tell you over and over things are different in that Province with regard to the
language laws. In BC for example, we have the Agricultural Land Reserve with regard to
using and preserving land for Agricultural purposes. As it turns out this legislation that was
supposed to help Farmers has been a benefit to all but farmers. Still if it did benefit farmers
it would be a stellar piece of Provincial Law.
In Quebec they have a language law for business regarding signs and business names.
The problem is most of these companies has a name that cannot be translated into French.
This is what created the big argument. This is funny because the car companies for example
have become so politically correct they look for names that don't mean anything in the world
that is to appease international markets. That came about because NOVA the car didn't do
so well in Latino circles it means something like won't go or something to that effect.
I would be surprised if the Province lost. Its the first time companies have faced such a challenge.
As for silly piece of legislation, its silly to us not to many in Quebec and as the court battle will
be waged there the ruling might surprise many in the west.

Gimme a break already! Have you driven along Scott Rd recently? Have you visited Chinatown? There is no English or French on any signs in those places. They are in Hindi or Cantonese or Mandrin because they cater to their clientele and they are allowed to. A business should be able to have its sign in ancient Hebrew or even Martian if it chooses without the govt making some bogus law that is against the constitution. If the govt wins this case next will be a law that it is illegal to speak anything but French in Quebec. The whole idea of a law demanding use of a certain language is a joke IMO.