Oil sands will be Canada’s economic engine for next 25 to 30 years

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
Canada’s oil sands are key to the country’s prosperity and for it to grow, the industry needs more pipelines, more collaboration, and dialogue that does not fuel “a climate of antagonism,” said a report by Deloitte Canada.
There was dissent back then about spending all that money on the railway, but now we ask how could you not have done that. It is the same with the oil sands
“Proponents of development argue in favour of the economic benefits while opponents argue those benefits aren’t worth the environmental risk,” said the report, entitled Gaining Ground in the Sands 2013. “From our perspective, growth of oil sands is key to continued growth in Canadian prosperity.

more

Deloitte: Oil sands to be Canada’s economic engine for 25 to 30 years | Energy | News | Financial Post

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister
That, or perhaps they flooded a few valleys and thousands of hectares of pristine BC forest with one of those eco-friendly hydro projects I've heard so much about.

Who knows, maybe Cliffy doesn't enjoy lake-front exposure

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
Ironic... I was just thinking the very same about you.

Say... Didn't you vow to drop off the grid some time ago?.. You know, live off the land and forgo the evils of Western society, etc?
No I didn't. I said I was going off grid for a while. Now I'm back. I spent the last few months building my home in the woods.

That, or perhaps they flooded a few valleys and thousands of hectares of pristine BC forest with one of those eco-friendly hydro projects I've heard so much about.

Who knows, maybe Cliffy doesn't enjoy lake-front exposure
There is nothing eco-friendly about IPPs. The BC government is hell bent on destroying all the fisheries in this province by giving away everybody's resources to Alberta enterprises. You probably have some of those pricks in your portfolio.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
How is the home coming along?

I am sincerely curious by the way... Did you look at the 'Alone in the Wilderness' thread - specifically the documentary that it was based on?
I haven't seen the documentary but I lived it during the 70s and 80s except I had a wife and child. If I hadn't been hit by the logging truck, I would probably still be out there.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
The BC government is hell bent on destroying all the fisheries in this province by giving away everybody's resources to Alberta enterprises. You probably have some of those pricks in your portfolio.
Why did BC Govt invest so heavily in BC natural gas, nat gas pipelines and nat gas sea ports?

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
How would I know? Natural gas isn't available in this area.
Our Socred/BC Reform/Liberals have been giving away this province since Wacky Bennett.
You'll be burning BC nat gas in no time. Be patient. yeah **** deals with the US. We have that problem too. SK electricty is 6 cents per kW/h in North Dakota but 12 cents kW/h here.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
You'll be burning BC nat gas in no time. Be patient. yeah **** deals with the US. We have that problem too. SK electricty is 6 cents per kW/h in North Dakota but 12 cents kW/h here.
Nakusp is too remote and too small a population for them to build a pipeline here. Most of the power generated by IPPs are going to the US while our environment, wildlife and fisheries take a beating. Nobody here wants them around and the fight is just getting into high gear. The Valhalla Wilderness Society has just sent out a notice world wide for support to stop these greed bastards.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Nakusp is too remote and too small a population for them to build a pipeline here. Most of the power generated by IPPs are going to the US while our environment, wildlife and fisheries take a beating. Nobody here wants them around and the fight is just getting into high gear. The Valhalla Wilderness Society has just sent out a notice world wide for support to stop these greed bastards.
So they'll keep on burning heating oil or fill the air with noxious wood smoke?

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
So they'll keep on burning heating oil or fill the air with noxious wood smoke?
People do what they gotta do to stay warm. In the winter, in town the smoke is horrific. Most nights I couldn't walk outside. Don't have that problem now. Biggest problem I have now is snow falling off the trees onto my head.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
People do what they gotta do to stay warm. In the winter, in town the smoke is horrific. Most nights I couldn't walk outside. Don't have that problem now. Biggest problem I have now is snow falling off the trees onto my head.
Indeed we do need to survive our harsh climate. Once you have nat gas there the skies will be clear and asthma rates will plummet. NG is the future of energy, not oil, not solar and not wind.