Manitoba's Premier Greg Selinger = Politically Correct Putz

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
Yep.

via sda:

The Premier of Manitoba has allowed children to opt out of Remembrance Day ceremonies, if they wish, "for religious reasons".

What's the connection between remembering what our brave soldiers, past & present, have done for us and religion? Let's be honest, the only "religion" that is being interfered with is the one where people pray at the Temple of Political Correctness.

On the opposite end of the spectrum, Roy Green devote all 3 hours of his show today to Remembrance today. You can listen to them here, here, & here.

small dead animals: Manitoba's Premier Greg Selinger = Politically Correct Putz

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
Yep.

via sda:

The Premier of Manitoba has allowed children to opt out of Remembrance Day ceremonies, if they wish, "for religious reasons".

What's the connection between remembering what our brave soldiers, past & present, have done for us and religion? Let's be honest, the only "religion" that is being interfered with is the one where people pray at the Temple of Political Correctness.

On the opposite end of the spectrum, Roy Green devote all 3 hours of his show today to Remembrance today. You can listen to them here, here, & here.

small dead animals: Manitoba's Premier Greg Selinger = Politically Correct Putz

It's not just Manitoba, I was reading over the weekend that students in Edmonton were given the same choice to opt out as well.

Students can opt out of Remembrance Day ceremonies: Board - Canada - Canoe.ca

Not sure where else.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
Well I'm certainly glad the polls shows 81% "no". When we were kids we did what we were told, be it by a parent, teacher or scoutmaster.............(unless of course there were criminal implications or risk to life and limb)

I don't think it's so much the kids that are opting out, it would be the parents.

Given that right by the men and women that died.

As can it be argued so is everything we enjoy within our nation today.

But on the other hand I don't see what good it does to force someone to participate in something that requires reverence for participation. Kind of like forcing someone to attend church, if the respect is not held for the institution it will have no impact, or at least not the right kind of impact. I'd have to believe that parents who would choose to omit their child from such services have already made the impact of their views upon their child, whether rightly or wrongly (and that's a subjective term). It's not something I would choose for my children, but participation should be voluntary.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
When we were kids there was no remembrance day ceremonies to speak of at school. We did a minute of silence at 11:00 and that was it.

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister
It's not just Manitoba, I was reading over the weekend that students in Edmonton were given the same choice to opt out as well.

Students can opt out of Remembrance Day ceremonies: Board - Canada - Canoe.ca

Not sure where else.

Wonder if I can 'opt out' of paying taxes?

I'll even start a religion that will be deeply offended by taxes

When we were kids there was no remembrance day ceremonies to speak of at school. We did a minute of silence at 11:00 and that was it.

So much to ask for, isn't it?

2 whole minutes, one day a year.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
I don't think it's so much the kids that are opting out, it would be the parents.

That would be a distinct possibility.............some parents today are worse brats than the kids. :lol: :lol: :lol:
:lol:

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
Wonder if I can 'opt out' of paying taxes?

I'll even start a religion that will be deeply offended by taxes

So much to ask for, isn't it?

2 whole minutes, one day a year.

Never thought about it as kids. It was just something we did. Even when I started working that was all most of us did unless it was on a weekend. Then along came a paid holiday for remembrance day and instead of taking it on the 11th. most places would take monday or friday. In camp of course we just shut the machines off for 2 minutes and carried on.

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister
Never thought about it as kids. It was just something we did. Even when I started working that was all most of us did unless it was on a weekend. Then along came a paid holiday for remembrance day and instead of taking it on the 11th. most places would take monday or friday. In camp of course we just shut the machines off for 2 minutes and carried on.

I've had the same experience as you and SLM... Learned a bit about WW I and read the poem in class.

For a kid in school, it was still a better option than going forward with classes.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
But on the other hand I don't see what good it does to force someone to participate in something that requires reverence for participation. Kind of like forcing someone to attend church, if the respect is not held for the institution it will have no impact, or at least not the right kind of impact. I'd have to believe that parents who would choose to omit their child from such services have already made the impact of their views upon their child, whether rightly or wrongly (and that's a subjective term). It's not something I would choose for my children, but participation should be voluntary.

Yes and No. Kids have to have a certain amount of exposure to religious issues to be able to form an educated view on it. We were made to attend Church/Sunday school, had it been my choice I wouldn't have gone and hence not had the very rudimentary knowledge I have of it today. I think even non believers of religion should send their kids to Sunday school otherwise they are just raising a bunch of "clones". An educated open mind is best.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
oh, the PC label. that makes things bad. mandatory participation in whatever the government tells you to do is good and makes sense.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
Yes and No. Kids have to have a certain amount of exposure to religious issues to be able to form an educated view on it. We were made to attend Church/Sunday school, had it been my choice I wouldn't have gone and hence not had the very rudimentary knowledge I have of it today. I think even non believers of religion should send their kids to Sunday school otherwise they are just raising a bunch of "clones". An educated open mind is best.

You were made to attend Church/Sunday school by your parents. Not by the school system/school board/government. Not by your neighbours who decided what was best for you. But by your parents. Which I believe all parents have a right to do.

Now I do think, in my personal opinion, that some parents take that notion a bit far when it comes to mere exposure to other customs and practices. Whether we're talking about some parent freaking out that bibles are being offered through the school board (not enforced, just offered) or another one objecting because the school foyer is decorated for Christmas. Everyone is so afraid of what they might lose, no one seems to stop and consider what they might gain.

But if we're talking about a ceremony that requires participation for Remembrance Day and some parents don't want their kids participating, what good does it do to force them?

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
Well I'm certainly glad the polls shows 81% "no". When we were kids we did what we were told, be it by a parent, teacher or scoutmaster.............(unless of course there were criminal implications or risk to life and limb)

You bring up a good point, as usual. "When we were kids we did what we were told, be it by a parent, teacher or scoutmaster."
We cannot continue to do that when we reach adulthood, we are empowered by experience and education to express change leading to progress, this is the function and purpose of responsible adults. So with respect to the subject of remembrance day it is my opinion that the stripped of context habit of remembrance is practically useless to the task of remembering history so that we do not repeat it's mistakes. Today Canadians are solidly behind their nations entanglement with the "international community" and that perverted cults despicable wars against the free civilians of the world. It is my opinion that we engage heartily in these crimes precisely because our leaders have taken pains to make absolutely sure that we know nothing of the true origins of war and therefore can never remember anything but what we are fed.
We do not remember anything, we have not been educated in reality we have an almost fantastical impression of the material workings of our own history and this is and has been done expressly to ensure a continued supply of empty young heads to die en mass in wars started for economic power gains. This is what history indicates without exception. I would like all Canadians to observe remembrance day with the absolute conviction that we are remembering reality. Until that happens we will entertain war and the results. Further to that the record of our remembrance is dismal, we repeat the same grave mistakes that ultimately resulted in the deaths and destruction of the very lives we purport to remember. In my estimation we dishonour every one of them every year right on time like lab rats. Ignorance and war are bedfellows. We have committed our children to die for reasons other than the truth. We remember nothing.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
But if we're talking about a ceremony that requires participation for Remembrance Day and some parents don't want their kids participating, what good does it do to force them?

Probably none...........When I was a kid there was one family (very intelligent people, industrious people) who forbade their kids to join cubs/guides because they felt the organization focussed on aggression. Didn't matter that they taught us to "be prepared", helpful, respectful, thrifty, useful, etc.