Peel Region votes to close its 12 daycare centres

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
“We’re not elitists.”
That was the common refrain of parents shocked after Peel Region councillors voted to close down the 12 childcare centres the region runs within two years.

The response was to a remark Mississauga Mayor Hazel McCallion made in the emotionally fraught council chamber as the future of public childcare in Peel hung in the balance.

“I think we are supporting an elitist group,” McCallion had told council earlier in the day, before departing prior to the 16-5 vote. McCallion had made similar comments about “gold-plated” care in January, when an initial vote was taken to close the centres by this September.

The daycares got a reprieve then, but weren’t spared Thursday, as McCallion argued that the region can no longer afford to serve about 760 subsidized children in the 12 centres while 4,350 remain on a wait list.

more

Peel Region votes to close its 12 daycare centres - thestar.com

tay

Hall of Fame Member
May 20, 2012
So the rational is to spend the same amount of money on for profit care?

Any of the councillors have a relative(s) with a for profit Daycare?

Just wondering..............

The daycares got a reprieve then, but weren’t spared Thursday, as McCallion argued that the region can no longer afford to serve about 760 subsidized children in the 12 centres while 4,350 remain on a wait list.

Councillors, acting on the recommendations of a staff report, voted to close the daycares gradually over the next two years and spend the $12 million saved on creating an extra 580 subsidized spots in private centres, both profit and non-profit. The report suggests that, thanks to the implementation of full-day kindergarten by September 2014, the demand for childcare facilities will slow dramatically in that time

Walter

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 28, 2007
So the rational is to spend the same amount of money on for profit care?

Any of the councillors have a relative(s) with a for profit Daycare?

Just wondering..............
Do they?

tay

Hall of Fame Member
May 20, 2012
Maybe it's the Mayor's math that is fuzzy.

Save 12 mill on public daycare and spend 12 mill on for profit daycare that has me confused...............

Fletch

Nominee Member
Jul 13, 2012
Public Childcare is simply in need due to poor parenting and poor life-choices of the "adults". No way in hell should i be funding or supporting with my tax dollars,,, simple stupidity. Pay for your own danm child-care...