Puck You, Putin! Harper Stands Up To Russia's Newest Czar

TeddyBallgame

Time Out
Mar 30, 2012
- While there was one bonding opportunity for hocky fans Stephen Harper and Vladamir Putin, the current celebrations in Russia of the 40th anniversary of the 8 game Canada-USSR hockey summit, there were mainly a number of problematic issues between the two countries.

- Unlike Obama, who spent his face time with Putin and his prime minister apologizing for supposed US imperfections, giving away the strategically valuable missile defence system without a single quid pro quo, and telegraphing the the Russian president that he wil be even more flexible (read weak and pusilanimous) after his re-election, Harper raised the tough issues and did not back down.

- Since a major issue is Russia's implicit and sometimes concrete support of Iran, the timing of Canada's decision this week to break off all relations with Iran, close its embassy there and expel the rest of the Iranian diplomats from Canada was an appropriate backdrop to Harper's meeting with Putin.

Harper and Putin talk tough on trade, Mideast, but warm up over hockey

Mark MacKinnon

Vladivostok, Russia — The Globe and Mail

Published Saturday, Sep. 08 2012, 7:49 AM EDT

Last updated Saturday, Sep. 08 2012, 7:52 AM EDT

At least there was hockey to talk about.

Prime Minister Stephen Harper and Russian President Vladimir Putin reminisced briefly but warmly about the epochal hockey series 40 years ago between Canada and the Soviet Union during a bilateral meeting Saturday at the Asia-Pacific Economic Co-operation summit.

It was the only time the two leaders found common ground during a meeting marked by disagreements about policy toward Iran and Syria, as well as the unimpressive Canada-Russia trade relationship.

The meeting – the first tête-� -tête between Mr. Putin and Mr. Harper since 2007 – began awkwardly with Mr. Putin running more than an hour late because of a packed schedule of other bilateral meetings. Mr. Harper then made Mr. Putin wait several minutes before finally entering the meeting room to stiff smiles and handshakes.

“I’ll just say the tone with Mr. Putin, you know, there’s a lot of things, it’s not a secret, there’s lots of things that Mr. Putin and our government do not necessarily agree on,�� Mr. Harper told reporters afterward, “but I’ll always say that our conversations are extremely frank on these issues.��

Mr. Harper said he spent part of the 50-minute meeting trying to encourage Mr. Putin to end its support for the regime of Syrian President Bashar al-Assad. The Kremlin has provided diplomatic cover for Mr. al-Assad as he has used his army to try to crush the 18-month rebellion, using its veto at the United Nations Security Council to block resolutions designed to pressure the regime.

“I did bring up Syria of course. Obviously, the government of Russia and ourselves have very different perspectives on this. Our view is pretty clear that as long as Assad remains in power, practising brutality against his citizens, the situation is going to become more and more desperate and more chaotic for everybody. And that’s why he needs to go and, obviously, Mr. Putin has a different perspective. But I urged Mr. Putin to play a more positive role.��

Mr. Harper said he also encouraged Mr. Putin to continue to pressure Iran over its nuclear program.

Disputes over issues in the Middle East have started to affect the broader ties between Ottawa and Moscow. In a letter to Canadian delegates attending the APEC conference, Canadian ambassador to Russia John Sloan wrote that “because of the disagreements on Syria and other issues, our political relationship is in something of a holding pattern.��

It’s unlikely Mr. Harper managed to change the Russian President’s mind on Saturday. In an interview broadcast on Russian television this week ahead of the opening of the APEC summit, Mr. Putin gave a combative defence of his country’s policies in the Middle East.

“How come Russia is the only one who’s expected to revise its stand? Don’t you think our counterparts in negotiations ought to revise theirs as well? Because if we look back at the events in the past few years, we’ll see that quite a few of our counterparts’ initiatives have not played out the way they were intended to,�� he told RT television. “Look at what’s going on in Arab countries. There have been notable developments in Egypt. Libya, Tunisia, Yemen, etc. Would you say that order and prosperity have been totally ensured for these nations? And what’s going on in Iraq?��

Mr. Putin seemed more interested in discussing the anemic trade between Canada and Russia than Mr. Harper’s thoughts about the Middle East. Hosting the APEC summit in Vladivostok – a port city of 600,000 that was a closed military base during the Soviet era – is part of a Kremlin push to deepen its engagement with the Asia-Pacific region, a task made urgent by the economic crisis in Europe.

In brief remarks before reporters were ushered out of the room, Mr. Putin lamented the fact that while the potential for Canada-Russia trade was “huge,�� the two countries had not yet been able to elevate their economic relationship to the level Russia would like. “Unfortunately, in absolute figures, the value remains limited,�� he said.

In an interview with The Globe and Mail ahead of the APEC summit, Canadian Trade Minister Ed Fast – who led a trade mission to Moscow in June – said Canada wanted to expand trade with Russia, but “Canadian businesses are still concerned about the investment climate. When Canadian businesses invest abroad, they look for certainty, they look for predictability and they look for the security of their investment.��

In his remarks about the Canada-USSR hockey series, Mr. Putin particularly praised the Canadian players as “true goodwill ambassadors�� for travelling to Russia this week to mark the anniversary. In particular, he asked Mr. Harper to pass on his thanks to them for playing a memorial game in the city of Yaroslavl, whose hockey team, Yaroslavl Lokomotiv, was wiped out in a plane crash a year ago.

Mr. Harper called the 1972 series “the beginning of our modern cultural relations.��

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
I love this, regardless of the value of the issue we have a leader that goes around
telling other countries who they can be friends with. Yes Russia is a friend with the
country of Iran. Yes Russia is a friend to Syria not popular in the west but then the
Russians are probably not crazy about us being friendly with Saudi Arabia an other
one of those blood thirsty dictatorships we don't like to talk about.
Iran, is a nasty piece of work but they are their own nation and they can do what they
like inside their boarders. Once they attack others we have treaties with they are fair
game for attack. Until then, any action against them is an act of aggressive war, not
by their standards, by ours.
In the west we like to have it both ways. We are friends with China, Excuse Me, this
is the worst nation on earth, but we have investments there so we can't say bad things.
Impolite things but not bad things. There are all kinds of friends doing business with
Iran. Japan buys oil from them why are we not screaming at Japan?
Iran, North Korea and a few others like China are nasty people, we tolerate China and
pick away at the others because they are smaller. We then go to the big nations that
are friendly with them and try to take action. Meanwhile we are doing business with
countries just as bad in the field of human rights violations and dictatorship.
Harper is likely the butt of jokes in the Kremlin hallways, give me a break. Harper likes
to make himself look important instead of being relevant.

eh1eh

Blah Blah Blah
Aug 31, 2006
Under a Lone Palm
I'd give you a double thumbs up if I could Mr Grump.
I think this is a precursor. Maybe CSIS is doing us right and getting us out before 'Merica goes ape sh1t. Just thinkin'.

hunboldt

Time Out
May 5, 2013
at my keyboard
Re: - Since a major issue is Russia's implicit and sometimes concrete support of Iran, the timing of Canada's decision this week to break off all relations with Iran, close its embassy there and expel the rest of the Iranian diplomats from Canada was an appropriate backdrop to Harper's meeting with Putin.
Teddy Ballgame:

That was really a brilliant move, given that Iran is 'normalizing' relations with the USA .
Please come back, 'TeddyTarget'..

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
Re: - Since a major issue is Russia's implicit and sometimes concrete support of Iran, the timing of Canada's decision this week to break off all relations with Iran, close its embassy there and expel the rest of the Iranian diplomats from Canada was an appropriate backdrop to Harper's meeting with Putin.
Teddy Ballgame:

That was really a brilliant move, given that Iran is 'normalizing' relations with the USA .
Please come back, 'TeddyTarget'..

Why are you trolling a temporarily banned member when they cannot defend themselves?

Especially someone that you don't know.

Well, at least you shouldn't know them, given you joined 6 weeks after he was banned. If, ...if you know what I mean.

You're treading on very thin ice sir.

hunboldt

Time Out
May 5, 2013
at my keyboard
Why are you trolling a temporarily banned member when they cannot defend themselves?

Especially someone that you don't know.

Well, at least you shouldn't know them, given you joined 6 weeks after he was banned. If, ...if you know what I mean.

You're treading on very thin ice sir.

Locutus, I have noticed , sir, that you are singling me out for ' special attention".

I am not trolling anyone, I am pointing out a 'flawed interpretation of Iran".

I'm not the first member to point out that defending any nation that's Islamic brings down your wrath.
I suggest you read the following- sir.Iran - National Geographic

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
Locutus, I have noticed , sir, that you are singling me out for ' special attention".

I'm not the first member to point out that defending any nation that's Islamic brings down your wrath.

Bringing forward a necro thread quote from a banned member and calling that member out is not the way we do things here. I don't care who you are.

There is no defense or justification for it.

Protip re: 'special' attention.

You are not that important. Have a swell day.

DiefTheChief

Time Out
Aug 3, 2013

hunboldt ... Don't worry about Locutus since apart from banning Teddy Ballgame, who strikes me as being the most informed and articulate conservative poster on this board, he is all bark and no bite.

- It is easiest to attack this Ballgame and other articulate conservative types when they are muzzled and unable to respond and you are to be commended for doing so by good lefties and liberals everywhere.

- I say keep on piling on this Teddy Ballgame creep who has rightly been kicked off this board of the left for people not in their right mind because he obviously posted too many things embarrassing and even devastating to the left and to unqualified and dodgy left wing posers like community organizer Obama and the part time drama teacher who wants to run Canada.

- Even when the fascist ban imposed by Locutus against this Teddy Ballgame character is lifted I would assume that Ballgame has too much pride to want to come back here where his obvious intellectual inferiors successfully gang banged him and pressured a weak and self centered moderator to ban him.

- So you should have a free hand in perpetuity to go after Teddy Ballgame, hunboldt, and say whatever ridiculous pro-left and liberal things that pop into your little head such as the great strides taking place between Iran and the Obama administration.

- Obama's weakness in terms of a willingness to stand for anything internationally and even consider the use of US military force and his obvious loss of both the Iraq peace and the Afghanistan war plus his apology tour in the Middle East have, of course, been brilliantly successful in getting the Iranians and other Islamist regimes not to mention the Russians under Putin to the negotiating table. You can just call one of Obama's Middle East embassies and consulates and ask his employees abroad about this. But don't call the Benghazi consulate because it has been closed indefinitely for some reason (a bad video perhaps) and don't call any of the other US embassies and consulates in the ME today because they have all been closed in fear of all the Islamists who both hate and have no respect for the US and its toothless and laughable lefty president.

DiefTheChief

Time Out
Aug 3, 2013
CUTE- NOW STOP.
I critiqued Harper's STANCE on Iran. Not Teddy Whatever.

No more of this.
stop.

- hunboldt ... THIS IS EXACTLY WHAT YOU SAID: "That was really a brilliant move, given that Iran is 'normalizing' relations with the USA . Please come back, 'TeddyTarget'.."

- in other words, you searched through the archives to find a Teddy Ballgame thread from many months ago that you could aggressively albeit mindlessly attack and then you designated Teddy Ballgame as 'Teddy Target'.

- So only the most mentally challenged members of the lunatic left wing fringe will buy your BS that you were not launching a personal attack on banned poster Teddy Ballgame. Because this includes a significant number of the most profligate posters here, WELL DONE HUNBOLDT and keep up the good work.

- Since Ballgame was banned, things have been even more excruciatingly dull and vapid and uninformed here than usual and so you have now most probably encouraged other lefty loons like cobalt kid to dig up past Ballgame threads as an excuse to launch personal attacks on him in the knowledge that he is banned and can't respond and in all probability will not be interested in posting and then being gang banged and muzzled here by intellectual pissants if and when his ban is finally lifted.

- When is Balgame's ban over anyway?

- Are you lefty loons counting the days?

hunboldt

Time Out
May 5, 2013
at my keyboard
:roll::roll::roll::roll::roll::roll::roll:

Further proof that our on line jack booters evolved in the Arctic, as DAS THULE society claimed, is their propensity to pound out weird posts when the August Heat sets in...

If you translate your rants into German, D the G, I bet the Volksslager Beobacher prints them for you..:p

DiefTheChief

Time Out
Aug 3, 2013
Teddy will be mad when he gets back.

- Locutus ... What compelling reason would motivate Teddy Ballgame to return to this boring ****hole frequented mainly by low information voters and posters from the lunatic left wing fringe?

- Would it be your original and clever and value added posts? No, you are just another boring cut and paste poster with nothing whatever original or clever or thought provoking to say.

- Would it be the fairness of you and the other moderators in enforcing the rules on an intelligent and even handed basis, ensuring that the loony left doesn't get to smear and gang bang and misrepresent and misquote the posts of the few intelligent, thoughtful and informed conservatives here or to get them banned for being too effective in counterattacking the loony left? Obviously not and only Walter, myself and other right of center posters get banned here by our gutless and brainless moderators!

- Would it be a chance to participate in intelligent and informed debates about important issues of the day in Canada, the US and the world? No, this is not a forum for such debates but rather a venue for left wing low information voters and posters like Gerry and other bored housewives and retired lard assed civil servants to spread the left wing entitlement, public sector leeches and mediocrity worshipping party line at the feet of grossly unqualified and patently phony lefty posers like community organizer Obama and part time drama teacher Trudeau Junior

- So why in your egocentric opinion would the great Teddy Ballgame ever want to come back here on a regular basis. That would be something like Conrad Black wanting to leave his Bridal Path mansion to come back to the Florida prison in which he was unfairly incarcerated. In my opinion, this is not going to happen and so you can all go back to sleeping soundly and smugly again, secure in your own stupidity and insularity

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
Because like the cat Teddy, you came back. You couldn't stay away. :lol: