Canadian Liberalism may be facing last call

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
We can only hope. :lol:

Looking back, 40 years from now, is it possible Canadians will view the history of the Liberal party the same way we now think of Social Credit? As in: “Wow, what a weird party. Hard to believe they were once actually in power.”

As the Post’s Brian Hutchinson notes, all signs point to electoral apocalypse for the British Columbia Liberals. With the next election nine months away, Christy Clark’s government is haemorrhaging senior members as former loyalists decide they’d rather not go down with the ship. In Quebec, Jean Charest’s Liberals look to be four days from a similar fate, running third in a three-horse race, even trailing a party that didn’t exist two years ago.

more

Last call for Canadian Liberalism | Full Comment | National Post

wulfie68

Council Member
Mar 29, 2009
Calgary, AB
Well, first off liberalism and the Liberal Party of Canada (and its various provincial wings) are not the same thing. Next, what is called modern "Liberalism" or "progressive government" in Canada, will still be championed by the NDP: its just the "Liberal" brand name has become so tarnished and otherwise damaged, that its becoming harder and harder to make it viable. That doesn't mean that it will be dead forever: look at the old Progressive Conservatives and how they schismed, and re-formed (pun not intentional) themselves.

WLDB

Senate Member
Jun 24, 2011
Ottawa
Well, first off liberalism and the Liberal Party of Canada (and its various provincial wings) are not the same thing. Next, what is called modern "Liberalism" or "progressive government" in Canada, will still be championed by the NDP: its just the "Liberal" brand name has become so tarnished and otherwise damaged, that its becoming harder and harder to make it viable. That doesn't mean that it will be dead forever: look at the old Progressive Conservatives and how they schismed, and re-formed (pun not intentional) themselves.

Indeed. So long as we use the lef/right spectrum there will be people on both sides and in the middle. They may have a different brand name but they'll be there.

Personally I cant stand the left/right political spectrum. Its outdated. Most major parties have a bit of both mixed in.

Vancouverite

Electoral Member
Dec 23, 2011
I agree that the Federal Liberals and their provincial counterparts are not the same thing. But the Feds aren't doing that well either.

Is this the last call for the liberals? I hope so.

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
No wonder one would say what a weird party, the BC Liberal Party was the Social Credit
Party. The government is a coalition between the Federal Conservatives and Liberals.
Yes I said coalition and they that is the story of social credit as well.
I think I still have an old T shirt the NDP had put out, with a sinking of the SS Socred,
Rita Johnson was Premier and they went into oblivion.
The trouble for this government is they are saying, the NDP could win seats in the Central
Olkanagan unbelievable.