State funeral for late NDP leader Jack Layton cost $368,326

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
Last year’s state funeral for Jack Layton came with a sizable price tag, newly released figures show.

The late NDP leader’s final farewell last summer cost taxpayers $368,326 — more than the total bill for the recent state funerals of two former governors-general.

The Department of Canadian Heritage released the full cost of the funeral to The Canadian Press under the Access to Information Act — one week after Canadians gathered to mark the one-year anniversary of Mr. Layton’s death.

more

State funeral for late NDP leader Jack Layton cost $368,326 - The Globe and Mail

Walter

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 28, 2007
Think of all the money we've saved since he left. Well worth the price. And he'll not be collecting a pension, that saves over $150,000.00 per year.

WLDB

Senate Member
Jun 24, 2011
Ottawa
Think of all the money we've saved since he left. Well worth the price. And he'll not be collecting a pension, that saves over $150,000.00 per year.

His wife may get some of it. My grandmothers still get part of my grandfather's pensions and they've been dead 20-30 years each.

As for the total pice tag, its cheaper than I thought it'd be. I'm not complaining. It was cheaper than a visit from the Queen or Obama.

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
Last year’s state funeral for Jack Layton came with a sizable price tag, newly released figures show.

The late NDP leader’s final farewell last summer cost taxpayers $368,326 — more than the total bill for the recent state funerals of two former governors-general.

The Department of Canadian Heritage released the full cost of the funeral to The Canadian Press under the Access to Information Act — one week after Canadians gathered to mark the one-year anniversary of Mr. Layton’s death.

more

State funeral for late NDP leader Jack Layton cost $368,326 - The Globe and Mail
Waste of money.

As for the total pice tag, its cheaper than I thought it'd be. I'm not complaining. It was cheaper than a visit from the Queen or Obama.
Even bigger waste of money.

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek

more

Worth every cent to give Jackie a great send-off. IMHO.

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
Some would say it was worth every penny.

Seriously, though, what's your point?

He was an elected government official. You must have a pretty big sense of inferiority if you can't agree that it was the honourable thing for our nation to do.

Fletch

Nominee Member
Jul 13, 2012
There needs to be more investigative work here! Again, no transparency from the NDP.. I find it just a taaad to coincidental that what the Union had to repay to the Unions in the last round of NDP funding scams (340,000) is almost EXACTLY the same amount as the cost of his funeral !!(With PST added!).

Even from the Grave, the NDP has thier hand in my back-pocket.....

MapleDog

Time Out
Jun 1, 2012
St Calixte Quebec Canada
There needs to be more investigative work here! Again, no transparency from the NDP.. I find it just a taaad to coincidental that what the Union had to repay to the Unions in the last round of NDP funding scams (340,000) is almost EXACTLY the same amount as the cost of his funeral !!(With PST added!).

Even from the Grave, the NDP has thier hand in my back-pocket.....

Well we got the liberal bank robbers of Jean Cretin Chretien and Paul Martin,who stole a sh*tload more than that.