Jean Charest says Bill 101 should be extended to federal businesses in Quebec

no color

Electoral Member
May 20, 2007
1967 World's Fair
As an English speaker I have to ask myself, do I want to vote for a party that wants to extend bill 101 to the Federal level. Bill 101 is a discriminatory piece of legislation that was denounced by the United Nations. No way would Harper go along with this. As an English speaker, I have to ask myself, do I want to vote for the Liberals, do I want a hole in the head?

The Liberals are currently playing the fear factor card telling us that by electing the PQ, as English speakers, our rights would be further suppresed as the PQ would toughen bill 101. Isn't that exactly what the Liberal government wants to do by applying bill 101 to the federal level. A hypocritical government will surely not translate very well amungst voters.

Overall, the Liberals have an awful track record as it relates to rights of English speaking voters. They recently hired a bunch of language police (I believe 66 individuals were hired) to further harass English speaking business owners. These newly hired individuals (language police) are a complete waste of taxpayers money, with no financial benefit. In addition, they changed the rules when it comes to RAMQ health related services. Previously, when calling, all one had to do was press 9 for service in English. Now with the new rules, after pressing 9, the operator will continue the conversation in French. The Liberal government has also been using our taxpayer dollars to fight court cases related to bill 101 in which the liberals fought to further supress access to English schools in court against a small handfull of parents. This is not the definition of compassion for the English speaking community.

I know many english speaking folks who will sit out this election, and many who will vote for the CAQ. I personally will not vote this time around.

French workplace law should be extended to federal businesses in Quebec, Charest says

Quebec City — The Globe and Mail
Published Monday, Aug. 27 2012, 3:28 PM EDT
Last updated Monday, Aug. 27 2012, 3:35 PM EDT

A new Liberal government would try to coax Ottawa into making French the workplace language for federal institutions and federally regulated businesses in the province, party leader Jean Charest says.
The Liberal Leader said extending Quebec’s Charter of the French Language, better known as Bill 101, to federally-regulated operations would be a logical step in assuring French thrives.

“I think we can sit down and see how the federal government can participate in the Quebec consensus on how we want to deal with language in Quebec,” Mr. Charest said. “The protection of language in Quebec goes beyond jurisdictions, language is language, it’s spoken but it is also an important part of our identity.”

Mr. Charest’s promise to pursue the extension of Bill 101 comes as he tries to pry precious francophone voters from the ranks of the Coalition Avenir Québec, which has eaten into Liberal support in Francophone suburbs of Montreal and Quebec City, where he campaigned Monday.

Bill 101 guarantees employees the right to work in French in organizations with 50 or more employees, and outlines a program of “francization” for workplaces that do not comply. It does not currently apply to federal agencies, or businesses operating under federal law in industries such as banking, transportation and telecommunications.

Extending Bill 101 is not a new idea. Former Bloc Québécois leader Gilles Duceppe argued for the move a few years ago but was quickly shot down by the the government of Stephen Harper.

Read more ...

French workplace law should be extended to federal businesses in Quebec, Charest says - The Globe and Mail

Sparrow

Council Member
Nov 12, 2006
Quebec
I live in the Prov. of Quebec and have never had any problem getting service in English. Of course I have fun with it, if they answer in English I ask for French and if they answer in French I ask for English. Just my way of having a little fun!

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
As an English speaker I have to ask myself, do I want to vote for a party that wants to extend bill 101 to the Federal level. Bill 101 is a discriminatory piece of legislation that was denounced by the United Nations. No way would Harper go along with this. As an English speaker, I have to ask myself, do I want to vote for the Liberals, do I want a hole in the head?

The Liberals are currently playing the fear factor card telling us that by electing the PQ, as English speakers, our rights would be further suppresed as the PQ would toughen bill 101. Isn't that exactly what the Liberal government wants to do by applying bill 101 to the federal level. A hypocritical government will surely not translate very well amungst voters.

Overall, the Liberals have an awful track record as it relates to rights of English speaking voters. They recently hired a bunch of language police (I believe 66 individuals were hired) to further harass English speaking business owners. These newly hired individuals (language police) are a complete waste of taxpayers money, with no financial benefit. In addition, they changed the rules when it comes to RAMQ health related services. Previously, when calling, all one had to do was press 9 for service in English. Now with the new rules, after pressing 9, the operator will continue the conversation in French. The Liberal government has also been using our taxpayer dollars to fight court cases related to bill 101 in which the liberals fought to further supress access to English schools in court against a small handfull of parents. This is not the definition of compassion for the English speaking community.

I know many english speaking folks who will sit out this election, and many who will vote for the CAQ. I personally will not vote this time around.

French workplace law should be extended to federal businesses in Quebec, Charest says

Quebec City — The Globe and Mail
Published Monday, Aug. 27 2012, 3:28 PM EDT
Last updated Monday, Aug. 27 2012, 3:35 PM EDT

A new Liberal government would try to coax Ottawa into making French the workplace language for federal institutions and federally regulated businesses in the province, party leader Jean Charest says.
The Liberal Leader said extending Quebec’s Charter of the French Language, better known as Bill 101, to federally-regulated operations would be a logical step in assuring French thrives.

“I think we can sit down and see how the federal government can participate in the Quebec consensus on how we want to deal with language in Quebec,” Mr. Charest said. “The protection of language in Quebec goes beyond jurisdictions, language is language, it’s spoken but it is also an important part of our identity.”

Mr. Charest’s promise to pursue the extension of Bill 101 comes as he tries to pry precious francophone voters from the ranks of the Coalition Avenir Québec, which has eaten into Liberal support in Francophone suburbs of Montreal and Quebec City, where he campaigned Monday.

Bill 101 guarantees employees the right to work in French in organizations with 50 or more employees, and outlines a program of “francization” for workplaces that do not comply. It does not currently apply to federal agencies, or businesses operating under federal law in industries such as banking, transportation and telecommunications.

Extending Bill 101 is not a new idea. Former Bloc Québécois leader Gilles Duceppe argued for the move a few years ago but was quickly shot down by the the government of Stephen Harper.

Read more ...

French workplace law should be extended to federal businesses in Quebec, Charest says - The Globe and Mail

Now do you really believe Jean on this- he can say a lot of things that will not happen.

WLDB

Senate Member
Jun 24, 2011
Ottawa
This is more like another of Trudeau's little vote buying bombs coming back to haunt us. Bilingualism is a big mistake.

He was opposed to Bill 101. Also the whole bilingualism likely would have happened with or without him. Pearson was for it and he was unilingual.